Caribou Gear

feedback sought: hunting with an outfitter for whitetail

It would be stand/blind hunting. The main impetus for doing this is that we don't have great access. I am willing to put in time trying to learn a piece of public, but he is new to hunting and wants a higher percentage opportunity at success.
I've been researching some guided hunts to do with a buddy, for the same reasons. 🤷‍♂️

To this point, it is around $2500 for an early October hunt or a late season hunt. A rut hunt is more like $5000. I've been looking around and it is pretty consistent.
If it were me I wouldn't. I think what your gonna learn is big leases and Food plots with little pressure hold lots of deer. Just saved you $2500. If you want to shoot a good deer and don't care if its with a guide save up the $5000 and go. There's a reason the October hunt is half the price.

For what it is worth:

I have a buddy who went to TX and shot a pretty nice buck, a doe, and a couple pigs for about $2,800. This was in 2019/2020 I think. He went with his dad and had a pretty good time and said he'd consider doing it again in a few years. All inclusive, they saw a bunch of deer and pigs, and just generally enjoyed it.

Edited to add: he had a "guide" with him the whole time to give him the thumbs up or down based on the guides estimate of the size since he had to shoot a buck of a certain, pre-agreed size. His buck ended up being a little bigger actually, but there was no fee since the guide gave him the go ahead to shoot.

Last edited:
For your buddy to get his first deer, this is both good and bad. Good that he SHOULD get multiple chances and see lots of deer. Bad that most likely there's a size limit and can he judge, but also, seeing lots of big deer might give unrealistic public land expectations.

Can he shoot does?

IMO guided whitetail from stands, is all about volume of stand options. If he takes 8-10 a week, he should have 100 stands to rotate people through without burning any out.

I have hunted Illinois for over 20 years as a non resident, going through an outfitter was how I got started. Think I did 5-6 guided & semi guided hunts and never killed a deer, however I did see a few dandies' that kept my interest peaked in the area. After that I started leasing ground and have killed one or more deer every year since, including some real good ones.

There might be a few exceptions, but from what I've seen, most IL outfitters don't have huge tracts of land and they pound the pizz out of it sending hunters back into the same locations week after week. 2000 Acres sounds like a lot, but not if you're running ten hunters a week from October thru December. You might get lucky, but you could probably do as well or better hunting on your own. Most of the outfitters also tend to play up their accommodations and meals, and it turns out crummy to average at best. I'll take a motel or camper over many of these so called "lodges".

For the $4,000 you guys will be spending, you could probably lease a small farm and hunt it all weapons, multiple trips and do things the way you want. You also won't be held to some 140" min standard (or fined) like so many outfitters want to push. There are also some pretty good public areas around the state if you want to go cheaper yet, but it will be a bit tougher than a private lease.

I have hunted Illinois for over 20 years as a non resident, going through an outfitter was how I got started. Think I did 5-6 guided & semi guided hunts and never killed a deer, however I did see a few dandies' that kept my interest peaked in the area. After that I started leasing ground and have killed one or more deer every year since, including some real good ones.

There might be a few exceptions, but from what I've seen, most IL outfitters don't have huge tracts of land and they pound the pizz out of it sending hunters back into the same locations week after week. 2000 Acres sounds like a lot, but not if you're running ten hunters a week from October thru December. You might get lucky, but you could probably do as well or better hunting on your own. Most of the outfitters also tend to play up their accommodations and meals, and it turns out crummy to average at best. I'll take a motel or camper over many of these so called "lodges".

For the $4,000 you guys will be spending, you could probably lease a small farm and hunt it all weapons, multiple trips and do things the way you want. You also won't be held to some 140" min standard (or fined) like so many outfitters want to push. There are also some pretty good public areas around the state if you want to go cheaper yet, but it will be a bit tougher than a private lease.
That's some good feedback right there. I'm already working on steering my buddy away from that option. I'd rather find a lease and be able to hunt it the whole season instead of feeling like I have to make something happen in a short handful of days.

So many good comments already. I have done a couple and one of the things I was advised to address upfront is the decision on what to shoot. I had been counseled to be careful of pushy guides wanting you to shoot something that you may be unsure about. My trips worked out great and I learned a ton from the guides and respected their approach. Just some food for thought.

So I have a friend who is trying to get me interested in hunting next season though a hunting lodge with an outfitter. It would be a $2K+ price tag for a 4 day outfitted hunt (fair chase) on private land with food and lodging provided.

I'm not necessarily against the idea and I feel like I could learn a bit from the experience, but I really don't know much about guided hunting or working with an outfitter.

I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have tried this. If you would rather PM me so your thoughts and experiences are private that is fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Like a few others have said, that price strikes me as oddly low for west central IL. I've never hunted with an outfitter down there, but I've hunted a few pieces of public in the Golden Triangle the past few years and have driven past a fair amount of lodges/outfitting businesses in that part of the state and when I look up their hunt offerings on their websites, it seems like the going rate for a weeklong whitetail hunt is more in the 5 grand range. Maybe the early October hunts are alot cheaper, but I personally would not go on an outfitted hunt in IL in early October.

Another alternative is to hunt some of the public in that part of the State. Pick one of the IL DNR state parks in that area, spend the next month or two on OnX e-scouting the place, go down this late winter/spring for a day or two to scout with boots on the ground, then go back either the first, second or third week of next november for a week long rut hunt and camp at the state park. It'll cost you next to nothing, you'll learn alot and you'll have a chance to at least see some good bucks, they just might not be within archery range. And you'll be that much more experienced with the place when you go back the year after that to hunt it again.

One of the best things I learned from checking outfitters references is Talk with folks that hunted in the last 2 yrs that did not harvest an animal if people tell you good things and didnt get a deer your prob ok
if someone shoots a good deer their opinion maybe clouded

Like a few others have said, that price strikes me as oddly low for west central IL. I've never hunted with an outfitter down there, but I've hunted a few pieces of public in the Golden Triangle the past few years and have driven past a fair amount of lodges/outfitting businesses in that part of the state and when I look up their hunt offerings on their websites, it seems like the going rate for a weeklong whitetail hunt is more in the 5 grand range. Maybe the early October hunts are alot cheaper, but I personally would not go on an outfitted hunt in IL in early October.

Another alternative is to hunt some of the public in that part of the State. Pick one of the IL DNR state parks in that area, spend the next month or two on OnX e-scouting the place, go down this late winter/spring for a day or two to scout with boots on the ground, then go back either the first, second or third week of next november for a week long rut hunt and camp at the state park. It'll cost you next to nothing, you'll learn alot and you'll have a chance to at least see some good bucks, they just might not be within archery range. And you'll be that much more experienced with the place when you go back the year after that to hunt it again.
I personally don't really want to go through an outfitter and would rather hunt public as you suggest. But my friend is suggesting this route and based on the feedback I've gotten here, I don't think I will be going with an outfitter.

Thanks for the feedback.

It was two of us. One buck had to be a 8 or more the other was up to you. We took 2, 8 pointers 1, 4 point and 2 doe.

So I have a friend who is trying to get me interested in hunting next season though a hunting lodge with an outfitter. It would be a $2K+ price tag for a 4 day outfitted hunt (fair chase) on private land with food and lodging provided.

I'm not necessarily against the idea and I feel like I could learn a bit from the experience, but I really don't know much about guided hunting or working with an outfitter.

I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have tried this. If you would rather PM me so your thoughts and experiences are private that is fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Do your research on the outfitter. Here in Texas since it's mostly private land, some outfitters are great and others leave a bad taste in your mouth. I have a buddy that does trophy hunts on his place and his our 5 day hunts with lodging and food. Price depends on the size deer you shoot. I've hunted with a few outfitters out this way that have been fabulous. First thing I look at is lodging. Am I sleeping with rodents and bugs? Is it clean? I don't worry about food much, the last outfitter I hunted with treated us like kings with chef prepared meals in a nice lodge. It definitely has it's perks...

To this point, it is around $2500 for an early October hunt or a late season hunt. A rut hunt is more like $5000. I've been looking around and it is pretty consistent.

That makes a lot more sense. Truthfully, I wouldn't pay $2500 for an early October hunt. Rent a hotel for a week, hang some stands on IL public land in the end of October and I'll bet you do as good or better.

That makes a lot more sense. Truthfully, I wouldn't pay $2500 for an early October hunt. Rent a hotel for a week, hang some stands on IL public land in the end of October and I'll bet you do as good or better.
Not all IL public land sites are created equal. I've hunted a few spots that have really stunk while others are pretty good and I live in IL.

Back