feedback sought: hunting with an outfitter for whitetail

That's no different than any other state.
I don't disagree!! I wanted to make sure nobody heads here thinking that hunting is like what you see in all the marketing regarding IL for whitetails.... I know a lot of guys who have even spent money multiple years to hunt private ground and never harvested one.

Being in Kentucky pretty close to Illinois I'll have to say be aware of most outfitters. Not all but most. It's a business so they are in it for the money. They cram as many hunters into the woods as possible because hey that's more money. I've heard a lot of great opinions on this thread already but if I may add just one more. I've never been for leasing ground. Your paying yearly for something you won't own. Prices will eventually go up or you will be out bid eventually by someone with deeper pockets. I've seen it happen to buddy's for years. If at all possible I would buy land. Land won't depreciate in value and it's always a good investment. Good luck in which ever direction you go.

I've never been for leasing ground. Your paying yearly for something you won't own. Prices will eventually go up or you will be out bid eventually by someone with deeper pockets. I've seen it happen to buddy's for years. If at all possible I would buy land. Land won't depreciate in value and it's always a good investment. Good luck in which ever direction you go.

We lease 280 acres of great IL ground. Have had the place for nine years and just re-upped a three year extension. That ground is probably worth $1.2 mil.
Our annual lease cost is about $6k. Who cares that we will never own it? It's pretty inexpensive when split several ways, gets us exclusive hunting access to the property, and we can hunt as often as we like. Our contract terms are such that a small annual increase is built in for the owner, and we always get first dibs to renew the lease. Only way we lose it is if owner decides to quit leasing, we do something stupid and get kicked off, the place sells to a new owner, or we simply decide we are done.

Owning land is great, I own a farm right down the road from this lease, but it cost a sh#tload of money to buy it. Purchasing ties up a bunch of money long term for those that decide to buy, and is simply out of the question for many.

We lease 280 acres of great IL ground. Have had the place for nine years and just re-upped a three year extension. That ground is probably worth $1.2 mil.
Our annual lease cost is about $6k. Who cares that we will never own it? It's pretty inexpensive when split several ways, gets us exclusive hunting access to the property, and we can hunt as often as we like. Our contract terms are such that a small annual increase is built in for the owner, and we always get first dibs to renew the lease. Only way we lose it is if owner decides to quit leasing, we do something stupid and get kicked off, the place sells to a new owner, or we simply decide we are done.

Owning land is great, I own a farm right down the road from this lease, but it cost a sh#tload of money to buy it. Purchasing ties up a bunch of money long term for those that decide to buy, and is simply out of the question for many.
That's a pretty cheap price for a lease, definitely count your blessings on that one, 280 acres where I'm at is gonna run you around 15k. Also sounds like you're leasing as a group and sounds like you've got a good group of people your goin in with. Is that 6k a piece or all together? Most I've seen always have problems getting along after the first year or two. Especially when your shelling out that kind of money. I definitely can't afford 15k a year to lease but can afford to buy a smaller farm and do on it as I please.

So I have a friend who is trying to get me interested in hunting next season though a hunting lodge with an outfitter. It would be a $2K+ price tag for a 4 day outfitted hunt (fair chase) on private land with food and lodging provided.

I'm not necessarily against the idea and I feel like I could learn a bit from the experience, but I really don't know much about guided hunting or working with an outfitter.

I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have tried this. If you would rather PM me so your thoughts and experiences are private that is fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Like several have said do your homework. Make sure to ask how many acres and how many hunters per year. You don't want to be the 10th guy in the stand on 200 acres.

A more up to date academy hunt. Looks like $950 per hunter.

That's some good feedback right there. I'm already working on steering my buddy away from that option. I'd rather find a lease and be able to hunt it the whole season instead of feeling like I have to make something happen in a short handful of days.
If you can figure out how to lease a spot then that would be good. I would start out with a climber and a cheap ground blind or two each. I use my climbers and ground blinds to first locate spots then I might put up a ladder if I think it is worth it. Having your own lease can get more expensive than the lease fee. If you have food plots , someone has to put them in. For starting out I would recommend finding a existing lease that has lost a couple members. The fewer members the better. Like every deal you need to do your due diligence to see if its right for you.

I'd look into a lease if youre dying to spend money on a hunt. Or you keep that 5k, invest that in time off work and put on some miles scouting public. in the process you just might bump into a fella that owns some ground at a gas station or a diner. we have some wonderful pieces of public in this state, you just have to put in some leg work. ive never paid for a guide or lease, but i feel as though handing over a wad of cash to hunt would add unnecessary pressure to the hunt.

I'm a land owner in Northern Kansas. I have 1400 acres and lease it to an outfitter who lives in the small town by the farm. He's been leasing it for several years and is a really good guy. He works very hard to help provide his clients a chance for a nice buck on each and every hunt. Yes they do make money but a small few do take pride in thier clients getting thier money's worth. I have leased to a shady outfitter and learned a lesson from it. I don't bow hunt but I do rifle hunt and have hunted the farm for over 35 years. He has the entire farm for bow and I have 650 acres for rifle. He still pays the same lease fee yearly even though I take the 650 acres from him during rifle so he can't use it for clients.

I'm a land owner in Northern Kansas. I have 1400 acres and lease it to an outfitter who lives in the small town by the farm. He's been leasing it for several years and is a really good guy. He works very hard to help provide his clients a chance for a nice buck on each and every hunt. Yes they do make money but a small few do take pride in thier clients getting thier money's worth. I have leased to a shady outfitter and learned a lesson from it. I don't bow hunt but I do rifle hunt and have hunted the farm for over 35 years. He has the entire farm for bow and I have 650 acres for rifle. He still pays the same lease fee yearly even though I take the 650 acres from him during rifle so he can't use it for clients.
i love Kansas! You are very fortunate!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back