Caribou Gear Tarp

Federal budget cuts force Yellowstone Park to curtail Old Faithful eruptions

Ben Lamb

Is nothing sacred!?

http://www.yellowstonegate.com/2013...lowstone-park-curtail-old-faithful-eruptions/

CODY, WYO. — A late start on snow plowing isn’t the only setback Yellowstone National Park will suffer this season as a result of automatic spending cuts. Park officials announced Monday that budgetary restrictions on water use would curtail eruptions at Old Faithful Geyser.

Famous around the world for its regular eruptions timed approximately every 90 minutes, Old Faithful is the most popular attraction in America’s first national park.

Water deposits minerals in multiple layers in many of Yellowstone Park’s unique thermal features.

But in an effort to save up to $150,000 toward a total of $1.75 million in cuts required under the Congressional sequestration budget deal, the geyser’s eruption schedule will be reduced for the first time since the signing of an interstate water compact in 1892. Other thermal features in the park will also be scaled back.

Just exactly how does this happen? Am I the only one that didn't know old faithful didn't operate on its own? Man I've been bamboozled

Just exactly how does this happen? Am I the only one that didn't know old faithful didn't operate on its own? Man I've been bamboozled

nope you were not. . .count me in on the duped list too. I feel rather stupid at this point.

Do not forget EVERYONE involved in Federal agencies that interface directly with us taxpayers has told the workers on the front lines to do everything they can to make it apparent reduced service levels are due to the tiny % of funding that was impacted. For example, White House tours are cut but the President still zooms around on questionable errands that costs $100,000s. My company uses this thing call teleconferencing but I suppose that is a for-profit tool.

I hope the mud pots are spared the affects of sequestration. I find bubbling mud to be relaxing and I think I can get my mud pot watching time covered under the new ACA, but then with sequestration that could all go up in hot air.

Nemont

I hope the mud pots are spared the affects of sequestration. I find bubbling mud to be relaxing and I think I can get my mud pot watching time covered under the new ACA, but then with sequestration that could all go up in hot air.

Nemont

ACA does not cover preventative maintenance to your chasis.

I blame Obama for all of this.

This whole thing is just surreal.

Your blame is misplaced, this is obviously a problem from the prior administration. Bush lied and now we won't have Old Faithful this summer.

If we let the free market decide when Old Faithful would erupt, it would run like clockwork.

How does Chuck Norris know when to erupt? His watch is Old Faithful.

Thanks Obama, for screwing up Chuck Norris.

Obama cancelled Walker, Texas Ranger.

Obama > Chuck Norris.

It's in the Constitution.

I'd have to see that in writing to believe.

Let's get this thread back on track about the goberment and their failure to solve budget problems.

It is a conspiracy to re-introduce the Jackalope

BOZEMAN, MONT. — Federal wildlife managers say they are in the early phases of reviewing a petition that seeks to reintroduce the gray prairie jackalope to the greater Yellowstone area, but they have not set a deadline for acting on the filing.

Attorneys for the Biological Equality Foundation on Friday submitted the petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, according to agency spokesman Craig Jimmeson, who declined to comment in detail on the petition.

Citing more than a dozen state and federal wildlife and habitat studies dating back to 1992, the Colorado-based Biological Equality Foundation stated in its petition that the “Yellowstone jackalope has been reduced to pockets of isolated population groups across a tiny fraction of its historic range.”

Back in '66 our fraternity in Bozeman had a letter from Ranger Walker, authorizing us to regulate the Old Faithful eruption in concert with the interstate water compact of 1892 at times when Chuck could not make it up from Texas. The fraternity owned a hand-crank-start 1917 White open top touring bus from Yellowstone. We would load it up with a keg and potato chips and I would drive "Minerva" the bus to the Park. Upon arriving some of the boys would install a steering column with wheel into the ground at the appropriate spot. After the requisite amount of time, the designated caller would bark out, "Let 'er rip!" The boys would turn the wheel and the awesome eruption would begin. The tourists loved it, or so we thought. The wheel would turn counter clockwise as the eruption subsided and the real park ranger approached. We would quickly load up and head for the Geyser Bar & Pizza in West Yellowstone for a celebratory pizza and some adult beverages, thanking Ranger Walker for the public service opportunity.

Some of the above-described information may or may not have been "stretched" in the effort to extend due credit to Chuck Norris. The rest is factual, to the best of my memory of the good old days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back