Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Favorite Wild Game Meal

I forgot one. Pheasant or ruffed grouse cut the breast into 2-3 pieces give a couple hit with a meat hammer to flatten then dip in eggs then corn flake crumbs and deep fry. Dip in whatever sauce you like

The last few elk I’ve killed I’ve cut out the flat iron steaks from the shoulder blade (saw it on a YouTube video). They’re my favorite cut. They’re the right amount of tender, bite and very flavorful when you dry age those front quarters. My favorite way to cook them is reverse sear. Smoke for 20 minutes or so and sear in a flat iron with butter. Absolutely incredible and better than any steak I’ve had at a restaurant. Not the prettiest picture, but super delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Blacktail deer steak dipped in flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Then fried in bacon grease until flour is crispy and the inside is rare. This sounds easy, but takes some skill/practice to get the outside to adhere and be crispy while leaving the middle rare and tender. Part of the reason I love this is it reminds me of my Mom and growing up every time I cook it :)

My favorites are anything elk or antelope.
Chicken fried steaks: mix several eggs and a bit of milk in a glass bowl or plastic bowl. Put your steaks of choice in with the mix making sure that it covers all of the meat. Crush a tube of Ritz Crackers. Heat a skillet to medium high heat with some butter and olive oil. Dip the steaks in the egg mix and then roll in the cracker crumbs. Cook until medium rare! OH MY. Put in fridge if you have time for a couple hours or so. If not no big deal.

Elk or antelope: roll in flour an fry in butter and olive oil on medium high until medium rare!

Back strap or roast whole on the smoker until medium rare! Yummy.

pulled from a different site:

thought i'd share. I used to work at a donair shop and ever since I quit working there its hard to find a good donair. Now with this recipe I refuse to buy a donair for I feel I make a better tasting donair that is less greasy but still full in flavor. Here it is,

Donair meat:

1 1/2 pound venison- I have only used deer so far I assume moose or elk would work and possibly be better.

1 pound med. or regular ground beef- this is to keep the fat content up, donairs are greasy food so this helps keep the wild meat from drying up.

2 tsp of the following: oregano, salt, flour, black pepper,garlic powder, onion powder,

1 tsp: paprika

1/2 tsp: cayenne pepper

Mix all spices together in a small bowl, set aside. Put ground venison in bowl mash with potato masher add beef and keep mashing. when all mixed up add 1/5 of seasoning mixture and mash, keep repeating till seasoning is gone. Mash with potato masher.........keep mashing.......and more mashing, don't mash less mash more this gives you the "donair" texture. Alright after 10 to 15 min of mashing time to get your hands dirty. Pick up the mashed meat and start throwing it from hand to hand, as if you had a base ball and where throwing it from hand to hand. then throw it as hard as you can in to the bowl you where mashing in. pick up repeat, pick up repeat. Don't be lazy. These steps are required because they give the donair meat the donair texture.

Set oven to 325f

Once beaten, thrown and repeated form a loaf with the meat, bread pans work good for forming. Line baking sheet with tin foil, place cooking rack on middle of baking sheeting and then place donair loaf on rack. The rack lets the grease drip away from loaf.

after every 1/2 hour the loaf need to be flipped. Total cooking time is 2 to 2 and half hours so the loaf may be needed to be fliped 4-5 times during the cooking phase.

He comes the hard part. after 2-2 1/2 hours the loaf should be done but it needs to kool completely before it can be cut properly.............

Here is the sauce :

Sweet sauce recipe:

While the donair loaf is cooling its time to make the sweet sauce. The longer the sauce sits the thicker it gets and the more the flavors come out.

1- can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup- vinegar
2 tsp- garlic powder

Put condensed milk in bowl add vinegar and garlic powder, mix, mix and keep mixing everything will come together, have faith and keep mixing!

If you managed to wait till the next day the slicing of the donair loaf will be easier. Slice loaf into 1/16" slices. Heat up frying pan at med heat. Fry donair slices to desired crispyness levels and prepare pita bread.

Preparing pita:

take pita and quickly, I repeat QUICKLY rinse in water and fry in hot frying pan with a bit of olive olive, 20-30 seconds is all it take to make it useable. remove from heat and add kraft mozza cheese slices, followed by crisped venison donair meat, home made donair sweet sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion and of course more sweet sauce.

Damn thats good eating. I have been told I make the best best donair in edmonton from a buddy that I consider a donair Guru! Everybody enjoy and any question please ask!

Venison Carne Asada on a corn tortilla with fresh cilantro and salsa verde. Side of avocado and refried beans with a few slashes of Cholula hot sauce.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back