Favorite Recipes on a Budget?

WestKyHunt

What is everyone's favorite recipes on a budget?
Preferably wild game, but domestic meats are fine as well!

I'll start with the simplest, cheapest recipe I know.
Velveeta box mac and cheese, browned deer burger, seasoning of choice (tony chachere for me), and whatever other cheeses I have in the fridge at the moment.
Throw in some hot sauce for extra flavor

Man did we eat a lot of wild game when my wife and I first got married. I didn’t know how to cook then so it was over done steak and hamburger helper. If we wanted beef we ate liver. Seemed we were poor I guess.

Man did we eat a lot of wild game when my wife and I first got married. I didn’t know how to cook then so it was over done steak and hamburger helper. If we wanted beef we ate liver. Seemed we were poor I guess.
I have eaten a many hamburger helper in my life!
The fact of the matter is (peaking specifically for the people in the SE) it is much cheaper to fill a freezer or two with deer meat than beef and pork

Canned deer meat tacos
Canned deer meat over rice with gravy
Canned deer meat phillys
Canned deer meat BBQ sandwiches
Canned deer meat stir fry
Canned deer meat on a totinos pizza
Canned deer meat in beef flavored Ramen
Canned deer meat in spaghetti sauce
Canned deer meat straight from the jar
Canned deer meat......

It’s hard to beat a good pot of chili. Sure, it can be fancy with all fresh ingredients but doesn’t have to be. A couple pounds of meat, tomatoes, beans, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder, cumin, s&p to taste. Good in winter by itself, summer on hotdogs and hamburgers, in a bag of Fritos at camp

Venison steak grilled med rare coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. Add the pepper while resting not when it is on the heat and top it off with real butter after you put on the pepper.

Put cut up venison from tougher cuts in a crock pot and drape a few pieces of bacon over top. Put a couple dried chilis next to the meat, preferably a few chipotle and a few guajillo. In a separate bowl mix together a cup of red wine, a pouch of taco seasoning and a large jar of salsa. Pour that over the meat, bacon and chili’s and cook on low 8-10 hrs then serve over rice.

Fried spam + rice (w/ teriyaki sauce and fried egg if want to blow the budget and a grilled pineapple if want to eat like king).

Stroganoff is a favorite if we are talking game meat. Ground venison or elk, mushrooms, beef broth (or homemade bone broth). sour cream, egg noodles. I usually do it a little fancier, but thats all you need.

boiled noodles, sautéed in an extensive amount of butter, onions, chile flakes, garlic, salt, pepper and spinach

then topped with ground and browned wild game (seasoned as well), then topped with that cheap fake parmesan, add some sriracha if you're feelin extra spicy.

this is still one of my go to cheap meals.

Back in the day, I'd have ground burger & baked beans. Add pickle juice and honey to dress up.

Moose Tacos are a go to now.
The only recipe my old man knew when we were kids was called Hamburger and Beans. And it was just that - burger and baked beans. Depending on what time of the month it was, we may have gotten some grated cheese to put on top.

And my wife still wonders why I’ll burn through a bottle of Cholula in a week.

One envelope Knorr chili mix with a pound of browned venison burger + 1 can of diced tomatoes (I prefer the stuff with olive oil and garlic added) and a can of rinsed kidney beans. The butcher in Montana whose been doing my stuff packages the burger as "country sausage" with some secret seasoning added. Makes wicked good chili and meatballs!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back