Favorite Recipes on a Budget?

Sh*t on a shingle or S.O.S.

Chipped or ground venison or beef. We used both.

Butter
Flour
Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Bread

Pretty much everything is to taste, we had this and hamburger helper often growing up. I'll make this now when we are camping, but I try to avoid hamburger helper.

Sh*t on a shingle or S.O.S.

Chipped or ground venison or beef. We used both.

Butter
Flour
Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Bread

Pretty much everything is to taste, we had this and hamburger helper often growing up. I'll make this now when we are camping, but I try to avoid hamburger helper.
That stuff is the best my wife's grandmother would make that for us everytime we saw her.

That and a glass of her sweet tea..... what I would give for that meal again.

Venison tacos. Brown up and season the meat put on a tortilla, toss on whatever you want to pay for. Lettuce, shredded cheeses, avocado, tomato. Put your fav hot sauce on that and have at it. Sometimes I might have some chili seasoned beans or pintos on the side. You dont get much cheaper than beans. If you dont want to mess with cooking dry beans look for great deals on canned beans. I watch my sodium so I like to cook dry beans.

Growing up it was venison stew... A LOT of venison stew lol. Then when I was in college I lived down the street from a fruit/veg stand and the gal would give me the veges that were starting to look a little haggard...yep more venison stew; over rice, on noodles, bread bowls, cheap n easy!

"Fall" Pheasant Breasts:

I like to make this when I'm craving "fall" flavors and either roast or smoke depending on the mood. Super easy to prep, makes people think it's fancy. My favorite deal is to serve this with some cranberry sauce

Ingredients:
-Pheasant breasts (2 breasts per serving)
-Yellow onion
-Granny smith apple
-Seasoning rub: (3:2:0.5:0.5) kosher salt, black pepper, sage, garlic powder
-Toothpicks or butcher twine

Instructions:
1. Thinly slice yellow onion into "shoestring" strips
2. Thinly slice apple with skin on
3. Season pheasant breasts on both sides
4. Sandwich onion and apple slices between pheasant breast
5. Secure the assembly together
6. Roast in oven at 350F or smoke to internal breast temp of 160 and rest for 10 mins

Venison tacos. Brown up and season the meat put on a tortilla, toss on whatever you want to pay for. Lettuce, shredded cheeses, avocado, tomato. Put your fav hot sauce on that and have at it. Sometimes I might have some chili seasoned beans or pintos on the side. You dont get much cheaper than beans. If you dont want to mess with cooking dry beans look for great deals on canned beans. I watch my sodium so I like to cook dry beans.
This is a family favorite. We buy shredded cheese on sale and freeze it. Rinse a can of chili beans + chopped onion, sour cream, tomato, and 99 cent lettuce.

I can't figure out why people say they need more money or they will go hungry. Food is cheap these days. For example, chicken. https://www.thekitchn.com/the-cost-...cken-cuts-from-least-to-most-expensive-243382

Recipe:
1) Buy some chicken
2) roll in flour
3) fry it

Last night my wife put two shanks in the insta-pot along with a cut up raw onion and a little water. She cooked it until it fell apart. I shredded it, added equal parts juice and BBQ sauce and made a BBQ sandwich. It was as good as anything I've had at a restaurant.

Most cheap recipes take a little time to prepare, which may be limiting. Food that comes in a box can be cheap and quick, but most have too much salt, carbs and calories, plus stuff that isn't good for you.

Last night my wife put two shanks in the insta-pot along with a cut up raw onion and a little water. She cooked it until it fell apart. I shredded it, added equal parts juice and BBQ sauce and made a BBQ sandwich. It was as good as anything I've had at a restaurant.

Those insta-pots work great. (y)

Dude (yes I said dude): delicious, healthy & basic recipes in no way have to be on a budget. We've been cooking delicious wild game recipes all my life, and they in no way are expensive to make, the ingredients are basic, you've just got to put them together properly and cook it properly.

Back