Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Favorite turkey calls

I imagine it doesn’t matter as much to the turkeys as it does to me, but to my ears I have always felt like a pot/friction call can sound most like a bird.

At that, I have really been really impressed with my newer copper pot combined with a laminated striker.

A dove load would work at 20. My last several were with 13/16oz from 25-35 yards or so.

I favor trumpets and tubes for calls, but whatever you can most closely match to a hen the gobbler knows works best. The only time it isn't is if the hen sounds like a box call. I've seen gobblers avoid those. Poor hens. Not their fault they sound like Walmart.

Primos Ol’ Betsy slate call was my first turkey call (bought for me by me mom) and it is still my favorite.

I used it call in my first turkey. Two hours before getting to pull the trigger, I was sporadically calling, and got a hen to respond. Except that “she” sounded exactly like me, and I got it into my head that somehow a hunter had snuck into position 100ish yards away without me seeing the ninja like hunter. I would yelp, “she” would yelp back. And then this stealthy hunter started moving a towards me. And then as you might have guessed a real hen popped through the riverside brush, completely vexed that I was in her woods. A big fiery silent rom was following her, and at 50 yards away I decided to hold off shooting him.

A couple of hours later the same scenario played out again, but this time on my side of the river, and at 29 yards away he took his last step.

For diaphragm calls, my narrow palate works best with small framed or youth calls.

I have a pot call I made That I've been using about 20 years. I thought I lost it in the Green Swamp in Fl a few weeks ago but found it in my mess of turkey stuff. It's killed almost every bird I've ever shot, Including my opening day bird last Saturday.

I carry 3 calls: river cane(wingbone style), JT Calls waterproof glass with ceramic on reverse side, and a cheap locator.

The JT “slate” call is my favorite. Super easy to use with their striker and waterproof. You can also crank on the striker and get a sound loud enough to break glass if you’re trying to call during wind. Most people are carrying too much crap and trying to sound perfect.

I bought this thing today kinda seems like the hoochie mama of Turkey calls. I’ve never got serious about it so seems like a good place to start
@cgasner1 did you see it reviewed on F&S? I just bought the same one. I live in an area with low turkey numbers on public and spend most of my time chasing bears in the spring so I've never gotten too serious either. It sounds better than the box calls I've tried, imo. I've tried mastering diaphragm calls for elk and turkey but my gag reflex gets in the way. I often gag brushing my teeth and I've yet to find a diaphragm that doesn't do the same!

@cgasner1 did you see it reviewed on F&S? I just bought the same one. I live in an area with low turkey numbers on public and spend most of my time chasing bears in the spring so I've never gotten too serious either. It sounds better than the box calls I've tried, imo. I've tried mastering diaphragm calls for elk and turkey but my gag reflex gets in the way. I often gag brushing my teeth and I've yet to find a diaphragm that doesn't do the same!
Nope just saw it hanging on the shelf so I grabbed it seemed like it was simple enough

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back