Favorite shell for turkey?

I've been using Winchester copper plated # 6 for at least 10 years. The results have always been "jellyheads".

Federal HeavyWeight 3" #6 shot for my Remington 870 pump 12 gauge. I called Federal and they recommended improved or modified choke for the special flight control wad they use w this shell. They r hands down the most exspensive shells on the market, but the best. I set up a wooden home speaker box at 55 yds. Pellets from Winchester 3 1/2 #5 supreme entered the speaker box, however the #6 Federal HW shoot completely thru both sides of the speaker box at 55yds. Federal HW #6 carry the same energy as #4 lead. I have cleanly killed toms out to 81 yds.

I grew up in the south and cut my teeth on turkeys. I have shot the same 870 for 25 years. I shooot fed copper plated 6s with a rem factory super full choke. deadly combo. Is it april yet:)

Sounds like a good combo that you have there. I would not try a bunch of this new crap on the market unless you want to burn some $$$.
I have an old 870 that shoots the #5 Hevi's really well. Matched up with a Primos 'jelly head' tube that has worked well on several birds. Not a CO bird yet ..............though I hope to draw for out east this year!
Good luck.

I grew up in the south and cut my teeth on turkeys. I have shot the same 870 for 25 years. I shooot fed copper plated 6s with a rem factory super full choke. deadly combo. Is it april yet:)

This is what I used on my first turkey hunt last year, and it kills 'em dead alright. If what you're doing is working I don't think I'd change a thing unless you have a hankering to spend some money. They sure don't give away those turkey loads.

I shoot Fed. Premium #4's out of a stock Remington 870 and it absolutely rocks those gobblers' worlds. I've killed birds out to 45 yards with that setup. No need to change it!

3-1/2" #5's Winchester Double X. I have killed bird's out to 54 yards. Killed six 26, 32, 33,33, 42, and 44 yards last spring alone. All stone dead. No need to spend the extra money on Heavy Shot.

I use Federal Heavyweight #5's 3 1/2" and an extra full choke(I cant remember what the actual diameter is on this particular choke)...patterns well in my benelli so I guess I will keep shooting the stuff until I run out, then take out a loan to buy more cuz it is ridiculous at how much they charge for the stuff now. I bought a bunch when it first came out when it was only mildly overpriced. The main thing to me is finding a load that patterns well on paper, heck I started out hunting turkeys with 3" #4 lead by remington and it did well too! Just hafta get em in range and shoot well.

I found a screaming deal on Remington nitro turkey size 5 so I picked up a couple boxes, have to see how they do.

Federal Number 6

I have two preferences for here in West Virginia for the long beards.
20 Gauge Mag Shok 3" #6
and CCI TNT 22 Mag 30 grain hollow point

I have had turkeys hang up at the 70 to 100 yards mark and the .22 mag or 17 HMR will handle them.

40 yards and closer the Federal Mag Shok in 20 Gauge is more than adequate.

I use a TC Encore Prohunter for the 20.

I use a Marlin or Savage 22 mag

Savage 17HMR

I recently picked up a vintage Remington 870 Wingmaster 16 gauge that loves #6 Federal. I only wish Federal made the Mag Shok in 16 gauge 2 3/4

:);)

Last edited:
Hate to say it but I spent the money and put 5 rounds of HEVI shot-13 3 1/2 inch #6 shot on paper and out of a .655 choke I have over 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 50 yards and over 300 inside a 30 inch circle. Not saying its need. I killed my last to birds with trap loads and mod choke but its nice to know that if a long beard hangs up its an easy chip shot. I shoot a over and under so I can swich from XXFULL to MOD with the barrel selecter with the flick of my thumb. With I would of bought 7 shot I know I could of got a higher pellet count but cant see spending the money. (note I only shot 1 rd per pattern sheet)

cmon lion....gotta narrow it down...season is around the corner...:cool:

Oh I've still got some hevi-shot, just like to have lots of ammo laying around and it was cheap. Gonna try for my gobbler with my bow first before going for the shotgun anyways. I made it about two hours last season :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back