Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Favorite NON-Premium Bullet

Brian in Montana

Seems you can't have a bullet thread without Accubonds and TTSX bullets and the like dominating the conversation. I thought I'd put one put there concerning standard cup-and-core bullets, tipped or not, within that +\- $0.30 per bullet price range. What's your favorite and why?

I'll go ahead and go on record as liking Interlocks. Thats a pretty tough, cost-effective bullet I've shot through a lot of animals and never seen one fragment or pencil through. Factory loaded ammo is usually very accurate, although I have admittedly had a little trouble finding accuracy when hand-loading them.

Go.

Before switching to Barnes, I was a big fan of speer bullets. Only reason I stopped shooting them was I wanted to switch to copper only.

I still shoot ballistic tips out of one rifle I use for deer. They just shoot so damn good out of that rifle, I don’t see any reason to change.

With the cost of premium bullets being so cheap, there really isn't that much savings for me.

However to answer your question, I tried some 120 grain NBTs in my 7-08 this season cause of the great reviews. They didn't disappoint.

In the $.30 range you can get Nosler seconds and have money left over. Makes it pretty inexpensive to shoot, not really a need to shoot anything cheaper.

I've used Sierras for a long time and they have never let me down. They usually grouped real well and always killed cleanly. I also used some Speer bullets, mostly due to being less expensive when on a very tight budget. And they did the job just fine. I do use Accubonds a bit, but always go back to Sierras when things don't shot well. Seems like getting back to the basic bullet helps.
I tried Ballistic Tips many years ago when they were first introduced. They did not perform well at all. Grouped nice. I shot 4 deer and 2 antelope and they were very disappointing on impact. Seemed like they just came apart when striking the animal. I can't bring myself to try them again.

I started using Hornady when they made Spire Point's, that was about all they made in hunting bullet's back then. Have never had one fail me, they simply kill things! Way back then when Vernon Speer still ran Speer, I used 160gr Hot Core's in a 7mm mag. Never tried anything other than hot core's they were great. back they Hornady and Speer were in my opinion, the best you could do. Back then you could go to Barne's or the Nosler Partition and best you'd do is pay more money for them and they were not as accurate as Spire Point's and Hot Cores. Tried some partitions in my 6.5x06 when I had it put together. Surprised how well they shot. Elk season came around and I used that rifle for a clean one shot kill, with, you guessed it, Hornady Spire Point. Well probably an interlock but old guy's got old ways!

I shoot a lot of ballistic tips and hornady fmjs but not for hunting. Gophers and the like dont enjoy them.

I bought some blue box Federal ammo to try in my 7mmMag. I think it was $9/box after rebate and black Friday sale.

Almost all of my loads use bullets that are factory seconds from Nosler.

Last edited:
Yep. Been using them on whitetails since I was 12. Lots of ruined shoulders too though lol
Read as " I've been using Hornady Interlocks since I was 12".

Or "Winchester Silver Tips aka Nosler Ballistic Tip coated.
Sig V Crown = Sierra...

Shall i go on?

I use a lot of SST's for range use.
Sierra GK, Nosler BT, ABLR, Berger VLD.
In the grand scheme of things the BT are a little more expensive than the Berger per 100.

Read as " I've been using Hornady Interlocks since I was 12".

Or "Winchester Silver Tips aka Nosler Ballistic Tip coated.
Sig V Crown = Sierra...

Shall i go on?

I use a lot of SST's for range use.
Sierra GK, Nosler BT, ABLR, Berger VLD.
In the grand scheme of things the BT are a little more expensive than the Berger per 100.
Always thought they looked similar. Core-Lokt, Interlock and Federal Fusions...

I know Core-lokt has its following, but I've just never been all that impressed. I've had several just completely go to pieces on whitetails shot with a .243. Performance has been a little inconsistent in my experience. I also once shot a little buck through the lungs with a .300WM at about 100yds. The exit wound was the same size as the entry and he ran about 200yds. I found him, but that was about the time I started looking for a different bullet.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back