Favorite Hunt Hack?

Hot water in a nalgene bottle, tucked in the sleeping bag, when cold.
Gallon ziplocks. I never leave a sleeping bag on a cold night in a tent to take a whiz. Roll on my side and Afterwards drop the ziplock to the side. I stay warm and am back asleep in minutes.

I combine these two and use a light weight cheap plastic bottle (with large mouth) and leave it in my sleeping bag, wouldn't trust a ziplock to stay in the bag with me. I've started trying to remember a jug for anytime I'm camping out, even if it's not cold just so I don't have to get up and wander around. Learned that one at wilderness first responder class, where the saying was body heat is gold, why pour it on the ground?

No argument here, the severe lack of common sense probably led to “hacks” to start with.... definitely not limited to hunting activities

The definition of hack has been misconstrued by “computer hacking.” We think of it as a mysterious creative magical process, but by definition it isn’t. Originally the word meant to chop at something like a tree, or to manage or cope. No shame in learning simple hacks.

NTO, I'd like to find a reusable vacuum sealer bag. I think it would be an awesome way to get water out of clothing items you washed if you had a vacuum pump you brought in your pack.

ETA: I did a search on Amazon and found something that might work called " Sous Vide Bags Kit for Anova/Joule Cookers, 30 Reusable BPA Free Food Vacuum Sealed Bags, 1 Hand Pump, 2 Sealing Clips, 4 Sous Vide Bag Clips,1 Wine Bottle Stopper for Sous Vide Cooking, Food Storage" Anyone ever tried something like this? For just over 20 bucks I'm gonna give it a shot...
I use the travel space saver bags. They are advertised for compressing clothes for storage/travel, but I keep a few of them in my hunting kit. Reduces clothing by about 3x, and they are water proof. No matter what, they will stay dry and small. The ones I use have vents at the end and you can roll them to push the air out so you can get into them then recompress.

Gallon ziplocks. I never leave a sleeping bag on a cold night in a tent to take a whiz. Roll on my side and Afterwards drop the ziplock to the side. I stay warm and am back asleep in minutes.
What about a funnel attached to a flexible rubber hose out the zipper of the tent? Well now that i think about it, you can go #2 your way much easier then trying to sh*t through a funnel.

What about a funnel attached to a flexible rubber hose out the zipper of the tent? Well now that i think about it, you can go #2 your way much easier then trying to sh*t through a funnel.
That work when you have a Randy Newberg episode? LOL

This would work if the other end is a distance away from the tent and the hose is entirely downhill. Better than having to get dressed and put yer shoes on to relieve yourself.

I didn't see this one listed. I will take my clothes that I plan on wearing for the next day, but don't actually want to wear to sleep in, and place them in my sleeping bag. Wake up the next morning and get dressed with warm clothes on a chilly morning.

It might seem obvious to most, but trekking poles made a night and day difference in the steep and slick stuff for me.

I agree with this and think every hunter in the mountains should have a pair. Even being young I use them to really steep climbs or just to keep balance when I am just looking at everything around me and not the trail.

Bring TP in a plastic bag and save your shirt sleeves and socks. Kuiu/Sitka/Firstlite shirt sleeves make expensive TP.
I don't usually buy them brands. I buy things based on how they function not on brand name or fashion. Cost don't always equate to the best.

However, I do keep nearly everything in my pack in ziplock bags. Fell in a creek enough times to know how to keep things dry now. LOL

Someone mentioned not wanting to cut up their paracord so they use ties. Many years ago I had started cutting up my paracord ahead of time into 5’ and 10’ lengths. Then I can coil them as needed. If I need something to tie a quarter up or pull a leg to a tree close by, it’s ready to go. If you ever need the full length, tie them together. I’ve yet to need to do this but it’s an option. They girth hutch to the pals webbing inside my MR pack and lay flat and out of the way very nicely.

More of a first aid hack for hiking in general than hunting. Blisters are usually a reality at some point, and I think almost everyone carries moleskin, but most don't know the best way to use it. Cut a hole in the middle to match the blister size, layer it until it clears the top of the blister, then cover it in another layer or leukotape(or your preferred medical tape). The amount of relief is many times greater!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back