Favorite Hunt Hack?

Hammsolo

What are your favorite hunting hacks? A few of mine that I learned early on... always always carry an extra pair of socks. If I have a hard hike in and there’s any sweat I always change them. I hate cold feet. Travel size baby wipes... flat and efficient. A gift from sweat baby jebus.

Hot water in a nalgene bottle, tucked in the sleeping bag, when cold. Puffy coat and pants stuffed in the pack's lid as a pillow. Carabiners on the backside of my pack to dry anything that needs it.

I carry a few of the Nite Ize gear ties, they're great for hanging stuff off the tipi pole and various other jobs when I don't want to cut up my paracord...

Vacuum sealers are not just for food! Vacuum sealing all your "rarely used" items can save a ton of room in a pack. 11"x14" (legal paper size) is perfect for packing game bags/kill kits, emergency clothing and much more. 11x14 is the perfect size to slide on to a meat shelf or behind your water bladder in the water bladder pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
NTO, I'd like to find a reusable vacuum sealer bag. I think it would be an awesome way to get water out of clothing items you washed if you had a vacuum pump you brought in your pack.

ETA: I did a search on Amazon and found something that might work called " Sous Vide Bags Kit for Anova/Joule Cookers, 30 Reusable BPA Free Food Vacuum Sealed Bags, 1 Hand Pump, 2 Sealing Clips, 4 Sous Vide Bag Clips,1 Wine Bottle Stopper for Sous Vide Cooking, Food Storage" Anyone ever tried something like this? For just over 20 bucks I'm gonna give it a shot...

Last edited:
One of my favorites is a retractable lanyard for my rangefinder. Always hated trying to stuff it in a pocket or have it hanging around my neck while drawing my bow. Now I keep it clipped on a belt loop and can just let go of it after ranging.

One of my favorites is a retractable lanyard for my rangefinder. Always hated trying to stuff it in a pocket or have it hanging around my neck while drawing my bow. Now I keep it clipped on a belt loop and can just let go of it after ranging.

Love these.

Love these.
X2

NTO, I'd like to find a reusable vacuum sealer bag. I think it would be an awesome way to get water out of clothing items you washed if you had a vacuum pump you brought in your pack.

ETA: I did a search on Amazon and found something that might work called " Sous Vide Bags Kit for Anova/Joule Cookers, 30 Reusable BPA Free Food Vacuum Sealed Bags, 1 Hand Pump, 2 Sealing Clips, 4 Sous Vide Bag Clips,1 Wine Bottle Stopper for Sous Vide Cooking, Food Storage" Anyone ever tried something like this? For just over 20 bucks I'm gonna give it a shot...

Love the creativity! Engineer one!

Vacuum sealers are not just for food! Vacuum sealing all your "rarely used" items can save a ton of room in a pack. 11"x14" (legal paper size) is perfect for packing game bags/kill kits, emergency clothing and much more. 11x14 is the perfect size to slide on to a meat shelf or behind your water bladder in the water bladder pocket.

Keeps stuff dry too!

Love these.
If that ain't a why didn't I think of that deal......

I also vacuum seal a lot of items in my pack. I’ll make my own custom sized bags and seal things like trail mix 1 serving, preworkout/hydration 1 serving, game bags and other items I don’t use all the time.
Also always have a lighter with duct tape wrapped around it. At least 5ft of tape if not more.

Socks is critical. I am retired military and know that to survive you must take care of yer feet. I also carry rope, pulleys, climbing harness and spikes. Helps to keep your meat from being commandeered by bears while yer packing it out.

Unless it’s really dry or really cold, in the evening I wash all my sweaty clothes from the day by soaking them in water and ringing them out several times. If the water source is a small spring, I’ll put a liter in a bag and wash the clothes some distance away in order not to contaminate the source. I use another liter to bathe (no soap) using a bandana as a washcloth. Another bandana is a towel, which works fine if you ring it out as you go. The clothes and bandanas get rung out as best as possible, then hung up to dry overnight. Even if it’s a little below freezing they still dry out a little bit. I sleep in my clean backup set of clothes. In the morning I put the damp clothes back on except for the socks, and after an hour the clothes are dry (or sweaty again). Socks and bandanas are tied to the outside of my pack to dry in the sun/breeze. Much more comfortable to sleep clean! Most other people I’ve backpacked with are beat at the end of the day and won’t bother with a daily laundry/bath ritual (takes 30 mins tops).

I can stay pretty clean doing this for about a week, but after that the lack of soap, and a pack that keeps getting sweaty every day starts to grow bacteria and needs laundered, and a hot shower does wonders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back