Favorite Cut?

np307

Besides backstrap and tenderloin, whats your favorite cut on big game animals? I know some like braised shank, some heart, etc. Just curious if there's any consensus. For me, I think bottom round is pretty great because of all the things it can be used for. Makes a good roast, grain is perfect for country style steak, grinds well, really clean jerky strips. Neck roast is a pretty close second for me, it's just so good braised.

~Deer… I think the most under rated cut is boned out neck roast that you tie braise then slow cook. The Top Round is also underrated for a roast especially if you have slicer available to you.

~Moose and elk and big caribou…worth taking the flat iron off the shoulder as steak, excellent grilled. Don’t forget the Brisket and the flanks eithe
~Bears….brine then net and the smoke the hams. They are fantastic.

~ Lope hinds are perfect for a whole hind roast first grilled then finished in the oven.

I started saving the skirt pieces and flank pieces from all my wild game. On a deer or antelope, they are very small portions but the flavor from them is extremely good. They are super tough so pan frying them is out of the question! However, cut into strips against the grain and then simmered or braised for recipes like fajitas and this cut really shines!

boy i do love heart, that's usually the first thing that gets eaten. cooked rare with a side of tenderloins. i like backstrap more than tendies tho.

can't say anything is bad though. love all the cuts. just different recipes stem from them all. i'm getting better about keeping shanks whole and bone in.

but i gotta be honest though, i just freaking love deer/antelope burgers. so does my wife. they top our list, even if they're not technically a "cut." well seasoned, smoked, seared, covered in cheddar cheese, chipotle mayo, red onion, roasted hot green chiles, and lettuce.

all front quarters are ground for this reason. we're burger fanatics over here.

~Moose and elk and big caribou…worth taking the flat iron off the shoulder as steak, excellent grilled.

I agree they are excellent, and lots of folks don't know about the cut. After grilling I make fajitas with them usually.

My favorite of the whole animal is grilled steaks from the inner round (the one on the inside of the hind leg). I believe it is a.k.a. the top round. I'm not sure why people think it is tough. It's a great steak with actual flavor and texture.

Thick neck roast off a rutty buck. Baste and braise in butter with crushed peppercorns. Hard to beat

Top round on any animal followed by backstraps.

For whatever reason, I love the graining in the top round.

Keeping the shoulder whole and braising is great for a big taco party + you’re spared from the tedious cleaning of sinew and silver skin.

Can be smoked and braised too.

Braise in lard for authentic fare.

Back