Favorite Cut?

Flat irons all the way. It really makes me cringe when I see people grind it up. I've only ever pulled them out of deer, I'd love to pull one out of an elk.

I'll pile on about the flat iron cut but on elk-size game, I also love pulling the tri-tip out as a separate cut from the hind quarter. Roasted and sliced thin makes amazing sandwiches or French dips with home made horse radish.

The two strips on the neck that cover the wind pipe. They are like miniature back straps.

Tongue is a close second to liver. Nothing like some smoked tongue tacos.
I've yet to pull a tongue out. If its anything like beef tongue I wouldn't be surprised if its the best cut. How do you smoke it? You peel the skin off right??

Besides backstrap and tenderloin, whats your favorite cut on big game animals? I know some like braised shank, some heart, etc. Just curious if there's any consensus. For me, I think bottom round is pretty great because of all the things it can be used for. Makes a good roast, grain is perfect for country style steak, grinds well, really clean jerky strips. Neck roast is a pretty close second for me, it's just so good braised.
I am going to have to try the neck roast

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back