Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Favorite back country tent stakes

MITCHMO

I need to get new tent stakes and I was wondering what size/type people find works the best backpacking in the mountains with a tarp style non freestanding tent. I have a Redcliff that needs new stakes and was trying to decide how long and what type for rocky terrain. Thanks!

Ditto on the MSR groundhogs, both regular and mini. I typically take fewer than I need in order to cut weight and supplement with rocks or deadman anchors if there is snow.

Never really tried anything besides MSR groundhogs. There's some cheaper knockoff versions out there, just look for a similar design....

Just so no one thinks the apocalypse is upon us... I’ve used Hilleberg V-pegs with no complaints.

Groundhog clones are what we send out with the Redcliff. If you want to add some stability in high winds then look to the MSR Core 9 inch or the twisted aluminum stakes we sell. If you want to go lighter for guyouts then Ti shepherd stakes are good. For deep snow then v channel snow stakes or deadmen are good.

There are lots of options. I've got rebar stakes sunk in a permanent family camping spot, and I've used the big landscaping nails before in really rocky ground with a 4 lb sledge to sink them. People have used lag bolts and concrete screws with impact drivers on frozen lakes or hard frozen ground. For backpacking I usually settle on a mix of the Cores, groundhog clones, and ti shepherd stakes.

Groundhogs suck......... mini's do to.

Jk I use them to I wanted to throw your thread off..... Haha

Another option: Zpacks carbon fiber stakes. Super light and much more durable than one would expect. Over a couple of season I've only broke 1 and that while I was still half asleep stumbling from my tent, accidentally kicking one which broke in half.. 🤷‍♂️

MSR mini's. Just make sure you don't use your hands to push down. Unless you have bear paws or plenty of gauze

Old thread, but what do you use to push tent stakes (other than your hands) in if the ground is hard? I've tried pouring a little water to soften it up with limited success.

I carry Toaks wide TI stakes for the corners and MSR ground hogs for the rest. I also have some TI Shepards stakes in my tarp kit. Agree with the above knocks offs, they are junk....buy the originals.
https://www.toaksoutdoor.com/collections/accessory/products/peg-09
Those look great! Thanks for the share. Mine hold up - typical Coleman orang-ish color however the tops (cord loop side) of a few have bent over time... cheap though have done the job. I think it's time to upgrade and those look like quality stakes.
what do you use to push tent stakes (other than your hands) in if the ground is hard?

Good Q. No real clue... I've had issues in the past though seems it's eventually able to secure... Never tried hot water, or anything... found other locations and looking for some real wood to knock on, hopefully I don't run into ground as your describe.
<edit: apologies... I failed my reading comprehension for your post...> I've more often than not used a rock (90% of the time) as JLS mentioned. Rarely do I use just my hands - always raises my concern if my stake goes in that easy. Last thing I need is a gust while asleep in chit cold temps that pulls the stake(s).

Last edited:
Old thread, but what do you use to push tent stakes (other than your hands) in if the ground is hard? I've tried pouring a little water to soften it up with limited success.
Use a rock. Go easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back