Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fatal grizzly encounter

Will they be able to tell the difference of 20-30 grizzly killed by hunters vs the ~25 combined bears killed by poachers and agency hunters?
20-30? Yeah that's not going to cut it. I remember reading from Landon Michaels of Gunwerks about a hike he went on last spring above Cody where IN ONE SQUARE MILE he counted 28 grizzlies. He had videos and pictures to prove that. Those were only the ones that he saw. How many did he not see? That's waaaaay too many.

I'm not saying it is something I don't think about or am not aware of, but there is this unreasonable focus on the risk, curiously further, by people who I watched poopoo Covid, maybe rightfully, regarding its risks. But when a risk that is orders of magnitude less likely than Covid was
dude.....
"unreasonable focus on the risk" used in the same sentence as "covid" but not used about covid itself. You are talented sir. But covid has nothing to do with reducing bear numbers in certain areas....that is, unless you voted for uncle Joe....then there are some serious connections.

20-30? Yeah that's not going to cut it. I remember reading from Landon Michaels of Gunwerks about a hike he went on last spring above Cody where IN ONE SQUARE MILE he counted 28 grizzlies. He had videos and pictures to prove that. Those were only the ones that he saw. How many did he not see? That's waaaaay too many.

dude.....
"unreasonable focus on the risk" used in the same sentence as "covid" but not used about covid itself. You are talented sir. But covid has nothing to do with reducing bear numbers in certain areas....that is, unless you voted for uncle Joe....then there are some serious connections.

I did use the words “maybe rightfully” to imply that perhaps an inordinate amount of focus was placed on the risk of Covid for many.

Point being, folks are not consistent in their assessment of risk - whether it be grizzly bears or something else. Not sure what uncle Joe has to do with anything, but I’m damn sure he’s a sure fire topic to to inject to get the thread locked. Perhaps the same could be said for Covid.

That has been my point all along. The Wyoming hunt that was scheduled a few years ago was 22 bears. I don't remember seeing a proposed number out of Montana but I think it's a safe bet that any state management plan combination between Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming will have a harvest level of a maximum around 50 bears. There will probably also be negotiation on allowable depredation kills, and it wouldn't surprise me if those came out of the total allowable harvest each year.

Says who? What's your qualifications to make that judgement?

People are notoriously terrible at accessing risk. The risk of grizzly bear attacks on humans taking reasonable precautions are extremely low.

The hunting of grizzly bears is a completely different subject and to use the tragic death of this guy as an emotional plea to allow hunting grizzly bears is kinda disgusting.

Come back after you lobby for guard trails on all trails, requiring pfds while walking near water and helmets while in cars.

Says who? What's your qualifications to make that judgement?

People are notoriously terrible at accessing risk. The risk of grizzly bear attacks on humans taking reasonable precautions are extremely low.

The hunting of grizzly bears is a completely different subject and to use the tragic death of this guy as an emotional plea to allow hunting grizzly bears is kinda disgusting.

Come back after you lobby for guard trails on all trails, requiring pfds while walking near water and helmets while in cars.
Says who?? 28 in a square mile? you're right. I need some credentials to say that that is too many for a square mile. my bad.
The death of this guy as an emotional plea? Not even sir. More like the thread talking about grizzly bears is what brought me talking about hunting them. I've said nothing of this guy.

And tell me the qualifications of the people who have made the call on bears thus far?? You live in hunttalk world my friend.

Says who?? 28 in a square mile? you're right. I need some credentials to say that that is too many for a square mile. my bad.
The death of this guy as an emotional plea? Not even sir. More like the thread talking about grizzly bears is what brought me talking about hunting them. I've said nothing of this guy.

And tell me the qualifications of the people who have made the call on bears thus far?? You live in hunttalk world my friend.
They were clearly concentrated on a good food source, and that concentration was in no way indicative of overall population density.

You guys chose a really extreme example to have a silly argument over.

I came across either this article or one similar some time ago.

It shows a few things, I think.

For one it shows Grizzly bears are very smart. They have made the connection that humans can kill an elk for them. Similar to how they shadow wolf packs for the bounty they can provide. Also, they are smart enough to follow in a manner that makes their presence unknown to the hunter.

A fair assumption is that most elk hunters hunting in Grizzly bear areas have been shadowed by a bear at one time or another.

Given the relative rarity of a bear attacking while an elk is field dressed, I would suspect they often wait a short distance away, knowing they will get a meal in due time.
I don't think hunting griz will do much on a large scale, but it would be nice to get rid of the ones that learned to follow us around.

I did the math and at 28 bears/square mile there are roughly 96250 bears in the 3437.5 square mile GYE. It is bull___ (fill in blank), utter bull____, that we cant start blasting them already!
There was obviously a good food source IF(big if) there were that many bears in that small of area….duh.
Fact: there are to many g-bears in Mt. I do not know this from 1st hand experience with bears, just from what I’ve been informed, by men I know with opinions and facts I trust.

Fact #2, we won’t have a g-bear problem in Montana (everything east of Cutbank and boze-angelas) for the exact same reason we don’t have a woof problem in Montana.

Had a biologist tell me about 10 years ago while elk hunting south of Livingston that at the time they were finding 3 grizzlies in each drainage down there.

Elk hunted with a friend around Dubious Wyoming and we seen at least 1 grizzly a day sometimes 3 all in different areas

Will they be able to tell the difference of 20-30 grizzly killed by hunters vs the ~25 combined bears killed by poachers and agency hunters?
I wonder how many physical encounters are with bears that are old or sick, guarding a kill, or sow with cubs. We shouldn’t assume all bears are the same just like we shouldnt assume all people are the same. I can’t image a bear guarding food is going to run from anything.

Last edited:
Condolences to the family

When we moved up to Alaska from Texas, I ask about the bears and my father and grandfather told me "there are fewer people killed by bear's in Alaska than rattlesnakes in Texas and they are a lot bigger target" :)

I have had a few encounters with bears since moving here, usually when fishing. And regardless of the statistics, I would prefer to match wits with a rattlesnake ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back