PEAX Equipment

Fast Twist .22-250 Suggestions

MTLabrador

At some point, maybe this winter, I want to have a faster twist barrel put on my old .22-250 to get more use out of it hunting larger critters. I’ve killed deer, antelope, and a whole lot of coyotes and smaller things with it, but I want heavier bullets.

This was my first rifle, so I’m not interested in a different cartridge for sentimental reasons. I might consider going .22-250 AI if there’s enough to be gained from it.

I’m looking at getting a 1:8, maybe 1:7, barrel manufacturer TBD. It’s purpose would be low recoil steel practice, coyotes, wolves, deer, and antelope. I’m looking mostly at the 75 gr ELDm, 77 TMK, and the 70 gr Hammer.

Any barrel twist, barrel manufacturer, bullet, or other recommendations? Anyone have experience with a fast twist .22-250? Am I stupid for shooting deer with one?

The rifle in question with a 1:14 barrel:

900CCE35-42A4-4650-87D1-BEFE78390164.jpeg

If wanting to shoot the heavies id spin on a brux 8” twist. If starting from scratch and wanting to use your existing 22-250 brass I see no negative in going ackley. If it were me I’d do a 22 creedmoor to shoot the heavies

If we get a pic of a different kind of ULTRA MAG well know hes been hacked.
My RUM is still my go to. And the 200 grain Accubond is the go to. But. I think from what I have seen on the Hammer site there is a bullet weight that can combine speed and killing. I've killed with the 181 in .300 RUM. The 166 in .30-06 and the 80 in .243. Probly going lighter. mtmuley

I've seen great results other guys have posted from 77gr tmk's from 223s on other forums. Some nice mule deer kills, instant death.
If they made a good shot for the game they shot and the bullet they used, what is to be surprised about? There is no magic in bullet's. Choose any bullet, use it within it's capability's and properly place the shot and the animal will die! A 50 gr Hornady SX from a 222 used on an elk will take the elk right down, if, the shooter does his job, waits for the right shot and places it correctly! But different bullet's in different cartridge's will give more options for shot's!

Our SIL has a 22-250 Rem 700 VSSF (I call it a Sendero) 8 plus lbs, 1:14 Twist, 4.5x14 VX3i. Groups 55 & 62 grain (factory and hand loads) very small. A blast to operate. I'd use it on any TX game.

Would that I could, can't talk him out of it.

A faster twist heavier bullet and/or AI case would be interesting @MTLabrador ...will be following.

A 23 inch barreled 8” twist 22-250 ackley will do a 75 grain amax 3400fps. But it wasn’t pretty on coyotes. That was before hammer bullets so never got to try them

A 23 inch barreled 8” twist 22-250 ackley will do a 75 grain amax 3400fps. But it wasn’t pretty on coyotes. That was before hammer bullets so never got to try them
I bet that could be rough on hides. 55 grain Ballistic Tips at 3700 can make a mess of things too.

I had a 22-243 for a bit on a tang safety Ruger, 75 Amax at 3650 that was fun!! Took a Whitetail buck with it, screwed up on the contour when I ordered the Barrel from Douglas and it was way to heavy to pack around for Coyotes and the throat didn't last long, might have it cut down some day and mess around with it again, 1-8 and 26in. Not exactly the same but kinda. I like the Ackley version that sounds appealing. Good luck you will enjoy it!!

Back