Fast Twist .22-250 Suggestions

If they made a good shot for the game they shot and the bullet they used, what is to be surprised about? There is no magic in bullet's. Choose any bullet, use it within it's capability's and properly place the shot and the animal will die! A 50 gr Hornady SX from a 222 used on an elk will take the elk right down, if, the shooter does his job, waits for the right shot and places it correctly! But different bullet's in different cartridge's will give more options for shot's!
Wrong, some bullets simply shouldn't be used. Some won't penetrate, some won't expand. The 77gr match king has a lot of reports of not opening up on things like coyotes.

I guess if starting from scratch I'd lean AI given all the case taper in the standard version. Another all-purpose bullet to look at might be the 64 gr. Tipped Game King. For high volume steel and varmint plinking the Hammer is gonna get pricey pretty fast but I'm sure it hunts well.

Barrel-wise...Bartlein, Rock Creek, Brux, etc. Bugholes.com has a 1-8 Brux #3 med sporter in stock if you're ready to jump.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess if starting from scratch I'd lean AI given all the case taper in the standard version. Another all-purpose bullet to look at might be the 64 gr. Tipped Game King. For high volume steel and varmint plinking the Hammer is gonna get pricey pretty fast but I'm sure it hunts well.
I usually try to keep one load per rifle, but this is one I would make an exception for. I’m pretty sure I would have a dedicated practice load to keep costs down.

Wrong, some bullets simply shouldn't be used. Some won't penetrate, some won't expand. The 77gr match king has a lot of reports of not opening up on things like coyotes.
Re-read. If the shooter does his job! Very very important. Take a 50gr SX in a 222 and stick it in the ear of an elk and it is going down. Stick the same bullet into the chest and is probably won't. The 77gr match king I'd bet Is a HP bullet. As such doesn't surprise me if it doesn't open. Shot some match king bullet's into stack's of newspaper years ago to see what they would do. It closed the tip and bent the bullet. Winchester put the plastic tip on the monolithic bullet they use and specifically said it was to ensure the bullet opens, go figure! Now tell me you couldn't kill a coyote with a 55gr FMJ!

Now to say some bullet's simply should not be used does not mean that if they are used right for what they are they won't work! #2 grizzly bear in the world, former #1 was killed with a 22 RF long. A bullet that simply shouldn't be used that killed the #1 grizzly in the world. Explain that? I can. The shooter knew exactly where to place the bullet, got close to the bear and took the shot. Shooter use the cartridge exactly right to get it done! I agree, if all I had was a 22 RF I would not take it bear hunting! But at the same time if I was attacked by the bear and all I had was the 22RF I would not throw it away and run either!

I used a 22-250 with a 9" twist in a 24" (sporter bbl on a Model 7) it was fine with the 60-63 gr stuff. I then had it barreled with an 8" twist 22-250 AI. It loved the Hornady 68 Match bullet over N140. Humdinger combo! I had an 8" twisted Lilja .224 TTH on a Kimber 84M that loved the Swift 75 SCII. Killed a 300pd or better sow with it. It also was a real killer with the plain old Win 64PP. I could never get it to shoot the Amax. I have had a Bushmaster Predator 223/8" for years and its all I have now. However, the 22-250AI with that 8" is a very potent little round with alot of uses. Can't say it enough...do not ignore that Hornady 68gr Match bullet! :)

I have a .22-250 with a 1 in 8" twist and just ordered some 77 grain TMK that I will be trying out this fall on Hill Country deer. The rifle is a tack driver with the Hornady Superformance 55 grains most stores carry.

At some point, maybe this winter, I want to have a faster twist barrel put on my old .22-250 to get more use out of it hunting larger critters. I’ve killed deer, antelope, and a whole lot of coyotes and smaller things with it, but I want heavier bullets.

This was my first rifle, so I’m not interested in a different cartridge for sentimental reasons. I might consider going .22-250 AI if there’s enough to be gained from it.

I’m looking at getting a 1:8, maybe 1:7, barrel manufacturer TBD. It’s purpose would be low recoil steel practice, coyotes, wolves, deer, and antelope. I’m looking mostly at the 75 gr ELDm, 77 TMK, and the 70 gr Hammer.

Any barrel twist, barrel manufacturer, bullet, or other recommendations? Anyone have experience with a fast twist .22-250? Am I stupid for shooting deer with one?

The rifle in question with a 1:14 barrel:

View attachment 190140
@MTLabrador , got an update for us? Did you pull the trigger on a faster twist barrel?
I’ve been considering a 22-250 for similar usages, primarily lower cost steel banging. Wondering what you did with yours.

Load the 44 or the 52 hammer hunter as fast as it will go and kill deer with it. It was designed as a light for caliber projectile and using heavies (normal thought process) just slows them down and they don't work as well. Completely ignore anyone who hasn't hunted and killed game with a solid copper projectile driven as fast as it will possibly go because their opinion does not count. It's not magic - it's science.

Also test a few of the heavier ones (as fast as you can drive them) if you're just dying to for stability. The extra velocity allows for stabilization of bullets in longer twists that the calculators say is impossible.

I placed an order (backordered) for a Tikka T3x Lite in 22-250 with 1:8 today. Hope it will come in the next few months. Hoping to double-dip with a powder I have for other cartridges. Huge variation in what people are using successfully as far as burn rates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back