Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Family Trip to Oregon- Advice?

jt13

My wife and I will be headed to Oregon on her family's vacation next month for a week (June 11-19). My mother in-law has always wanted to go to see the Pacific coast with some of the big attractions being Willamette Valley wine country, Cannon Beach/Astoria, and Mt. Hood. The first half of the trip will be based out of Newberg and the second half out of Cascade Locks. They have some wineries on the to-do list as well as a day-trip to Cannon Beach in the front half of the trip but nothing specific beyond that to the best of my knowledge. As always I am trying to bolster the touristy stuff they all like to do with some outdoorsy things that we like to do.

• Any "can't miss" touristy things (wineries, sights, landmarks, tours, etc.)?
  • Restaurants or breweries that need to be visited?
  • Is there anything worth seeing or doing in Portland?
    • All I've been told so far is to avoid it like the plague...
  • Any recommended easy/moderate hiking trails around Mt. Hood?
    • Suitable for 2 toddlers, a 65yr old woman, and my pregnant wife.
  • Any fishing that's worth doing that time of year (half-day charter or DIY)?
    • Probably would be just me and the wife sneaking out on this one.
  • Any other recommendations on places to go or to avoid?

Lots of trails close to Cascade Locks. Some nice lakes and trails up out of Hood River (20 miles east). Hwy.35 goes south of off 84 and will bring you right to the mountain and some good easy trails along the Hood River and tribs. Lots of Wineries, Cider too if they are into that stuff. Some nice scenery all along Int.84 on both the OR and WA side. PM me if you would like to ask specifics

I’ve always wanted to go here. But dad worked for the FAA probably has a lot to do with that.

Cool place, but I haven't been there in many years.

My wife and I will be headed to Oregon on her family's vacation next month for a week (June 11-19). My mother in-law has always wanted to go to see the Pacific coast with some of the big attractions being Willamette Valley wine country, Cannon Beach/Astoria, and Mt. Hood. The first half of the trip will be based out of Newberg and the second half out of Cascade Locks. They have some wineries on the to-do list as well as a day-trip to Cannon Beach in the front half of the trip but nothing specific beyond that to the best of my knowledge. As always I am trying to bolster the touristy stuff they all like to do with some outdoorsy things that we like to do.

• Any "can't miss" touristy things (wineries, sights, landmarks, tours, etc.)?
  • Restaurants or breweries that need to be visited?
  • Is there anything worth seeing or doing in Portland?
    • All I've been told so far is to avoid it like the plague...
  • Any recommended easy/moderate hiking trails around Mt. Hood?
    • Suitable for 2 toddlers, a 65yr old woman, and my pregnant wife.
  • Any fishing that's worth doing that time of year (half-day charter or DIY)?
    • Probably would be just me and the wife sneaking out on this one.
  • Any other recommendations on places to go or to avoid?
Call Garibaldi Charters in Garibaldi and ask what is biting. Typically, any half day fishing trip for Rockfish also includes a share in the boats crab pots which is a nice treat!!

Lots of lake fishing for trout, good bass fishing, sturgeon can be fun, but it's all catch and release by then. The coast always has fun bottom fish charters and usually you can drop a crab pot too. Bay clams are fun to dig or rake also.

I lived in Portland a few years, but it was 10+ years ago so include that when considering my advice (I've heard Portland has changed a LOT in the last couple years with vagrancy / homeless population explosion.)

- Tillamook Cheese Factory is great

- Ecoloa State Park at Cannon Beach has some coastline hiking that I don't recall as being too gnarly. Awesome coast views if the weather cooperates...

- If you go into Portland I'd stick close to the Pearl District or NW 23rd, there are some awesome restaurants and you won't have quite as many vagrants in the area
-- Deschutes Brewery (Black Butte Porter is still my all-time favorite beer)
-- Jake's Famous Crawfish has great seafood and an incredible happy hr if you can get a seat.
-- Piazza Italia has extremely authentic Italian food

Multnomah Falls is of course a big tourist attraction, photo op. Easy paved access right off 84. Several other easy waterfall hikes right along 84 between Portland and Cascade Locks

Good advice above on the Hood River route up to Mt Hood

Just make sure everyone has good rain gear, even in June, and proceed w whatever you had planned rain or shine.

Portland can still be okay. BUT never leave anything of any value, at any time, in an unattended car and use judgement where and when you go.

A Dungeness crab feast. Way more fun preparing it yourself, rather than at a restaurant. Some local experts crack the shells by tapping them with a empty beer bottle, It can get a little messy. +1 on the clam idea! You can probably find a big pot for cooking at a 2nd hand store.

Last edited:
Look up a Columbia River guide - there are lots of em. You will be here at the correct time for summer Chinook fishing.
One of the finest eating Salomon out there. This could be done from the Portland area or the Cascade locks area.
Ditto on the Crab tips. If you go out of Astoria Salmon and crab could be on the list.
Cape Disappointment State Park (Washington side) on the mouth of the Columbia River is awesome also.

There is a train that goes from Hood River towards Mt Hood that can be fun. Dog Mtn on the Washington side is a good hike and offers wonderful views of the Gorge. Like previously said, lots of waterfall hikes on the Oregon side, watch your step. Dean Creek Wildlife Viewing area out of Reedsport is great for viewing huge-bodied Roosevelt elk. Depot Bay is a unique land feature with a very sheltered bay. Lighthouses on the Oregon Coast are a must see. Full Sail Brewing in Hood River is a good place for lunch after watching the colorful wind surfers dodging the barges on the Columbia. And the list goes on.......

Rent a small boat (14 ft) and crab pots and do some crabbing in one of the coastal bays. Tillamook, Netart, or Nehalem bays are all good. Rentals are usually two to four hours and a great time. June is not the best for crabbing, but it can be done and is great fun. You can find the rentals and more information on the internet.

Is it at Seaside where you can drive on the Beach? Been awhile since I been out there. Any way always remember that.

Nemont

Some good stuff here for sure, thanks guys! Certainly going to try and add Tillamook into the day trip to Cannon Beach. Looking into a few more of these as well.

Anyone ever do the riverboat tour out of Cascade Locks?

I lived in Portland a few years, but it was 10+ years ago so include that when considering my advice (I've heard Portland has changed a LOT in the last couple years with vagrancy / homeless population explosion.)

- Tillamook Cheese Factory is great

- Ecoloa State Park at Cannon Beach has some coastline hiking that I don't recall as being too gnarly. Awesome coast views if the weather cooperates...

- If you go into Portland I'd stick close to the Pearl District or NW 23rd, there are some awesome restaurants and you won't have quite as many vagrants in the area
-- Deschutes Brewery (Black Butte Porter is still my all-time favorite beer)
-- Jake's Famous Crawfish has great seafood and an incredible happy hr if you can get a seat.
-- Piazza Italia has extremely authentic Italian food

Multnomah Falls is of course a big tourist attraction, photo op. Easy paved access right off 84. Several other easy waterfall hikes right along 84 between Portland and Cascade Locks

Good advice above on the Hood River route up to Mt Hood

Just make sure everyone has good rain gear, even in June, and proceed w whatever you had planned rain or shine.
I've lived here, in Portland, for 20 years. This is all good advice.

+1 for the suggestions of Tillamook Creamery and Jake's. I've gone crabbing at both Tillamook and Netarts and had fun. I'm not sure if you'll catch many keepers or if they'll be very meaty that time of year, but you should still be able to get crabs in the pots if you just want the experience with your family. Probably fun for you and the kids, maybe not so much fun for your pregnant wife depending on how far along she will be.

Multnomah falls is an absolute madhouse in the summer. We drove by with some company a couple weeks back when the weather was bad and there was a huge traffic jam just to drive by the parking lot. That wasn't even peak season. You might be okay if you go during the week, but do not do it during the weekend. There are a number of other waterfalls on that scenic highway that can provide 75% of the Multnomah Falls experience with 1000% less headache. Lillian likes taking people to Horsetail falls since it typically isn't as crowded. It is also marginally closer to Cascade Locks than Multnomah.

If I remember correctly the Columbia below Bonneville will be open for Chinook starting June 16. I'm not as familiar with the seasons above Bonneville (Cascade Locks area) but there is probably some fishing there during the time as well. While you are on the coast, a trip for bottomfish might be fun. I've always been interested in catching some of the rock bass and lingcod.

Be prepared with some rain gear. It has been a wet one this year, but the summer I moved here we had like 100+ days of bright sunshine days in a row.

Back