Family hunt

mthillrunner

My wife has a antlerless elk depredation tag for MT that's good through mid February, started mid January. We were not able to get out until today. I took her out this morning, hiked a few miles, was great to be out with her. Didn't see anything. Had to get our 2 boys from school/daycare early afternoon. We decided we would go back out as a family & at least enjoy the beautiful day and do a hike.
We stopped on the highway, and saw four legal elk from 2-3 miles away in the spotting scope. Drove as close as we could & had a mile hike left. She's hunted with me a few times but never shot anything other than a gopher. When we left the truck I sent her and our 8 y.o. ahead, told them how I would go about the stalk. I wanted to see how she would do. I walked with our 3 y.o. My parting words were "if you are not comfortable WITH ANYTHING, don't shoot, no harm no foul"
The hike is a fairly abrupt 300 ft climb first 400 yds, then another 300 ft over the last 3/4 mile. Both boys literally flew up the hill. As my youngest and I created the hill, we saw it unfold ahead of us. The country is wide open. We saw my wife and older boy crouched not 100 yds from the elk. Due to curvature of the hill, she could only see their ears. I watched her creep forward to about 50 yds, but she appeared to still not be able to see enough to shoot at. I pulled out a cow call, gave 2 loud calls, they all four stood. About 2 seconds later I saw one drop. First elk in wide open country down, 50 yd shot. Could not have been more proud of her on her first elk, my 8 yo for guiding mom, or my 3 yo for doing that hike both ways on his own. Damn right, I am a blessed guy for sure! I'll wait til morning to get it home. Wish I had pics, but was dark when we all got up to it.

That's awesome! I'm sure you won't be forgetting that one for awhile. Thanks for sharing.

That's awesome. Congratulations to your wife. Maybe your 3 year old's first remembered memories as an adult will be mom getting an elk.

Thanks for sharing - nothing beats spending time outside with your crew. Having the Mrs bag an elk is just icing on the cake!

Can't wait to see some pictures of the family with mom"s elk. Fun story. Congratulations.

It was a very memorable hunt for sure. Unfortunately, no pics, darkness had come upon us and our 3 yo became slightly terrified. We brushed it in under a bush for the night and hiked out. Our youngest was NOT ok with being out after dark until our older son told him "I'm pretty sure the safest place in the woods is beside dad when he's carrying a rifle buddy." Fit over, he was glued to my side the rest a the way out. They had a birthday party today for a friend, 3 yo walks in and announces "my mom shot a elk!" He's a funny kid.
To qualify for the damage hunts you sign up on FWP damage hunt roster, can only sign up June 15-july15. You pick species and unit. If a damage hunt occurs they "randomly" rank all applicants. I randomly am always about last. You have to do your homework, some areas have them every year, some rarely. For her hunt any legal tag was usable, so she could have used a surplus b tag had she already used her general tag. They are a fun low pressure elk hunt to do with your whole family.
Thanks for reading. Sometimes it's easy to forget how fortunate we are.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back