Family backpacking tent

wa_archer

Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations on a good backpacking tent for a family of four. two adults and kids would be for next few years until kids old enough to carry own tent or bivys.

We bought a Alps Mountaineering(?) 4-man tent and used it for the past 15 yrs. It is 8 lbs, so I'm sure there are lighter ones, but I have used it for all kinds of trips (family, friends, hunting, hiking, etc) and with the 2 big vestibules, it has been perfect in a lot of situations.

Thanks for the suggestions, ill check them out. I had looked at the seek tipi's as outdoorsy as my wife is not sure she sold on floorless. I had been leaning twoard the MSR poppa Hubba, around 7lb, could lower that weight for sure with Tipi. Maybe if they have one set up at Rendez. this year I can convince her.

Thanks for the suggestions, ill check them out. I had looked at the seek tipi's as outdoorsy as my wife is not sure she sold on floorless. I had been leaning twoard the MSR poppa Hubba, around 7lb, could lower that weight for sure with Tipi. Maybe if they have one set up at Rendez. this year I can convince her.

Floorless seems fine to me in the dry Mtn West in the Fall/Winter. But anywhere/anytime that there are more creepy-crawly things, I would want a floor too.

Anyone have any experience with the Seek Cimarron seems to check all the boxes and light.

I agree. I’d get two tents for four people.
Or just a helicopter to pick you up when it gets dark.

But seriously, why? 2 tents will necessarily be heavier, more expensive, take longer to set up, take down, require more maintenance (twice as many zippers, etc).

But seriously, why? 2 tents will necessarily be heavier, more expensive, take longer to set up, take down, require more maintenance (twice as many zippers, etc).
Many families have a 2 person to begin (husband and wife) with so adding a second 2 person when the kids come along is less expensive and less maintenance than having a 2-person plus a 4 person. It was a little heavier than a single 4 person, but not that noticeable for any reasonable distance involving kids, and at some point the kids can take pieces to spread the load. As for longer to set up/take down, not a big deal with 4 people involved. You make fair points, but for some the two tent solution is preferred.

Four people (even with kids) means you probably need a five man tent. You might as well pack a house.

I can get two tents - either three man or two man (wife and kid) in the same general weight range. You'll be more comfortable split up too.

I have a family of five. We’re to the point with teenage boys we pack three tents.

Anyone have any experience with the Seek Cimarron seems to check all the boxes and light.
I've no personal experience with the Cimmaron but I've read a fair number of reviews. I've been looking for the one tent to rule them all for everything from backpacking to car camping to 3rd season base camp. The Cimmaron is probably a bit small in all reality for a family of 4. I'd give them a call. I've heard they are a great help in getting people into what they need.

Tarptent makes a pretty cool 4 person tent that would probably be okay with young kids. I thought about one for my family of 4 but I ended up getting another 3 person and split the kids.

I am starting to lean toward the second tent, figure it may be a great way to invest in a really good backcountry tent for 2 during hunting season. I have an old rei half dome that would fit half the family which isn't too bad weight wise. I used it up until last year switching to a bivy sack.

I am starting to lean toward the second tent, figure it may be a great way to invest in a really good backcountry tent for 2 during hunting season. I have an old rei half dome that would fit half the family which isn't too bad weight wise. I used it up until last year switching to a bivy sack.
A little marriage advice: check with the wife on this one. My wife would have had none of it (splitting the family up into separate tents), especially when the kids were younger.

If you go floorless you will need to get a nest for when the wife and kids are along.
Mosquitoes rarely bite me so I dont think about them that much but took kids to the mountains in a kifaru tut and had to spray them down and try to smoke the mosquitoes out of the tent and they still got hammered.
The two tent option will also make it easier to find places to pitch compared to a 4 or 5 man.

For family of 6 we either use two 3 or 4 man tents eureka or mountain hardwear optic 6. We just barely fit and only 4 if running costs. Kelty also makes a large family full fly tent that I would trust in backcountry.

Our family tent growing up was a North Face VE24, (those things are bomb proof I still use it and my parents got it as a wedding present in 1982). Tent went everywhere. I think the last time the 4 of us slept in it together I was 12-13 and my sister was 8.

I like traditional tents over tipis.

You can definitely get a family of 4 in a 4... contingent on how big you are I’m
6’ 150lb if you were a huge dude... etc.

4 season tents are heavier but also typically roomier, something to consider. I do like my MSR hubba hubba.

If you have small kids there is a high probability that with two tents your wife will be sleeping in one tent with a kiddo and you in another with the other.

SO cimarron fits my 2 kids (10,8) my wife and myself with gear. I think once the 4 year old is big enough to hike in there will be enough room for him if we put gear outside. This is without the stove

i think you could do 4 adults without gear. You might be friendly inside but it’s doable

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back