Fallow Deer

TWC

I am lucky to be able to stalk the deer on a 6,000 acre estate in Suffolk, UK. There is a very large population of fallow deer and the estate culls around 250 deer annually. Here are a couple of the bucks I have taken.

Attachments

• FA7258AA-FCBA-49AE-8EA2-FA2E91A3A3FF.jpeg
    FA7258AA-FCBA-49AE-8EA2-FA2E91A3A3FF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • 50F4FF3A-E091-474D-B14E-A95415B5EE07.jpeg
    50F4FF3A-E091-474D-B14E-A95415B5EE07.jpeg
    976.3 KB · Views: 24
Great bucks and I bet youre happy to have that estate access. How does that work? Is it a lease arrangement?

Very nice!! I’m curious what the population must be to take 250 a year out? There must be a lot of them!!

Very nice!! I’m curious what the population must be to take 250 a year out? There must be a lot of them!!
I couldnt say on the population numbers but the estate borders a large forest which is a nature reserve and all the estates and farms surrounding it are shooting similar numbers. I have seen herds of over 300 animals during winter.

Those are huge, park deer or wild?
I've never seen anything like those in the wild in Devon.
Cheers
Richard
These are all wild. I have seen much bigger, just never with a rifle! One day on the back of the shoot beating cart we went past 6 mature bucks all sitting out in a wheat field in the sun, not a care in the world. Those boys pictured above would have been the smallest of that group.

These are all wild. I have seen much bigger, just never with a rifle! One day on the back of the shoot beating cart we went past 6 mature bucks all sitting out in a wheat field in the sun, not a care in the world. Those boys pictured above would have been the smallest of that group.
We just don't get that quality of Fallow where I am, in fact I don't think I have ever seen one like it let alone shoot one.

Cheers

Richard

We just don't get that quality of Fallow where I am, in fact I don't think I have ever seen one like it let alone shoot one.

Cheers

Richard
Yea, I would say thats the same for 99% of the UK; they just dont get the chance to get old or big as they move around farms too much and get shot.

Great bucks. Where about in Suffolk? I lived on Weatherhill Farm in Icklingham when I was stationed there. The wheat field in front of the barn we lived in bordered the forest. Lots of deer and birds on the farm but the landowner would not allow stalking or shooting....but he would go to OTHER farms to shoot pheasant. Never understood that one.

Great bucks. Where about in Suffolk? I lived on Weatherhill Farm in Icklingham when I was stationed there. The wheat field in front of the barn we lived in bordered the forest. Lots of deer and birds on the farm but the landowner would not allow stalking or shooting....but he would go to OTHER farms to shoot pheasant. Never understood that one.
Land owners hey?

The estate is near Woodbridge. Did you manage any stalking when you were stationed here?

Land owners hey?

The estate is near Woodbridge. Did you manage any stalking when you were stationed here?
No, sadly. I was only there a year and wasn't allowed to bring my rifles. I did come back for my 50th last year and was able to take a muntjac with @leec270 in Norfolk while I was staying with my friends (they had also been tenants on the farm) in Hengrave. I was after a red but my birthday is a few weeks before the roar so muntjac it was! Had a great time and need plan another trip. Both for stalking and pub crawling ;)

No, sadly. I was only there a year and wasn't allowed to bring my rifles. I did come back for my 50th last year and was able to take a muntjac with @leec270 in Norfolk while I was staying with my friends (they had also been tenants on the farm) in Hengrave. I was after a red but my birthday is a few weeks before the roar so muntjac it was! Had a great time and need plan another trip. Both for stalking and pub crawling ;)
Small world, I know Lee and have shot a few Roe bucks with him. I made the fatal error of forgetting about a muntjac I left in his chiller and remembered only when I was back in London. At least he enjoyed it! Pub crawling is great until you have to be up at 5am for stalking the next day :sleep:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back