Fall shape

Eyeguy

So who is about there as far as being in shape for the fall hunt? I am fortunate because I don't have near as far to go this year as I did last year...and I got to be in dang good shape last fall! I am happy so far. Doing a lot of stairs and cardio stuff. So what have you guys been up to? Fall will be here soon!

Running every morning before work, lifting weights three days a week trying to get back to my fighting weight ;)

Alternating running and hiking (with 60# pack) and incorporated some sandbag strength training. Feeling pretty good about Colorado in Oct, of course you can never be in good enough shape to tackle the mountains! But I'm in the best shape I've been in since college football days (16 years ago) so now I just need the elk to cooperate.

I lift a few times a week and take the dog for a nightly walk up the hill behind my house. I've also been making sure incorporate fruit and vegetables into my v̶o̶d̶k̶a̶ diet.

Attachments

• caesar.jpg
    caesar.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 295
Weights 4X/week with lots of core work.
Cardio 4X/week alternating biking, stair master, and incline treadmill.

I'll be running the HURL Elkhorn 50K race this Saturday which should be a pretty good indicator for me. That will be my 3rd Ultra this season, but the other 2 were pretty flat so this will probably be a much better test of my hunting shape.

They've changed the course up a little so it is actually 32.7 miles long now with 7,875' of elevation gain and loss along the way. Of course I'll be driving from Texas to Montana to run in it and instead of getting Montana weather, it looks like I'll be bringing the Texas weather with me, the high is supposed to be 91 degrees on race day. Not looking forward to that part of it.

I work out anywhere from 1.5 to 3hrs a day 5 days a week year around. This includes everything from HIIT routines, to distance runs, arc trainers, stair climbers, and lots of weights. Only thing I have a hard time simulating is elevation here at 1300'.

I can't wait.

Best shape I've been in last 12-15 years. Not elk hunting this year just antelope BUT I heat it's never too early to start!

Started going to a boot camp type class 3x a week in June. I feel much stronger, but it's amazing how much work it takes to bring your core strength back. The other two days I am biking at lunch for 45 or so minutes.

I need to get a pack on and walk, but weekends have been occupied.

I was doing good until my work piled up. Now my man boobs are getting to the point that they are sagging. I put on last year's shorts and looked like a vanilla muffin. I have spasms between my shoulder blades that kept me up all last night. My shoulder is getting so inflamed I nearly hit the floor when I pulled back Fin's bow. I've pretty much given up lifting weights because of that shoulder. Sunday I became the first native Montanan to be wounded by a falling jar of olives, ever. This put a 1" gash in my big toe so I can't hike until that heals. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, but at least rounding off my hard edges will make me more aerodynamic.

Running 2-3 miles a night and eating better has 15 lbs off since May and lifting 3x per week, 7-8 more pounds to go to get in college shape

Nathan, any time to acclimate to elevation?

Nope. I live at 3,200' and the start is at 5,600'. It only gets to 8,000' during the race (it goes up and down 3 mountains to get that big elevation gain and loss) so I think I will be "okay". In my limited experience it is exponentially tougher once you get over that 8,000' elevation on breathing, once you get up around 9,000' is where I start really sucking air.

There are 3 different climbs that gain about 2,000 to 2,500 feet of elevation in 3 or 4 mile stretches and I'm planning on power hiking those instead of trying to run up them.

5-6 days a week of pre-lift stationary bike, stepper, and inclined hamster mill. I don't bench Volkswagens or play 15 games of racquetball/day anymore but have a solid 3 day resistance split that I've followed for the last 30+ years. I should add that I'm damn lucky to have the luxury of time to do this at midday.

My biological knee is now very jealous of the bionic one and my left shoulder is a snooze alarm...no biggie.

Rock on....

I've been hitting Mt Jumbo and Mt Sentinel here in Missoula 2X per week since the start of July. I wasn't able to work out from March through June this year - so the gains I had made Jan-March all went away.

August will be a big month, and I can't push too hard yet. Regression would suck. But I've been shooting the bow every day (30-50 arrows depending on timing).

I'll be running the HURL Elkhorn 50K race this Saturday which should be a pretty good indicator for me. That will be my 3rd Ultra this season, but the other 2 were pretty flat so this will probably be a much better test of my hunting shape.

That's awesome. Do you bring your camera? It would be cool to see some pictures. Good luck!

I run 4-6 miles a day, do 1300-1500 ft in elevation up and down a large hill with my hunting pack (about 50 lbs) and then shoot some arrows on a 3d course while wearing my pack and mountain boots, and then finish the night with 30-40 mins of weights. I do this routine a minimum of 5 days a week. I have too much time and money invested in hunting to not be in the best physical shape I can be in when
I hit the trail. I've been there where I felt weak and beat up about 3 days into a hunt. I was blistered, stiff, sore, sucking air, which lead to me be unsuccessful. I will NEVER walk that road again.

Back