Fall shape

Nope. I live at 3,200' and the start is at 5,600'. It only gets to 8,000' during the race (it goes up and down 3 mountains to get that big elevation gain and loss) so I think I will be "okay". In my limited experience it is exponentially tougher once you get over that 8,000' elevation on breathing, once you get up around 9,000' is where I start really sucking air.

There are 3 different climbs that gain about 2,000 to 2,500 feet of elevation in 3 or 4 mile stretches and I'm planning on power hiking those instead of trying to run up them.

Have fun on the race. The last climb is tough, and the stretch after the last climb is very hot with a lot of sun exposure.

The "Ridge of Despair" is aptly named.

Pace yourself accordingly.

I'm ready to go. Archery elk and deer open here on the 15th. I have been doing crossfit for the past 18 months and am in the best shape of my life. No, I haven't converted to high socks or anything like that. The whole reason I do it is to be able to go about anywhere I want in the mountains. I never want my lack of fitness to be the reason I wasn't successful on a hunt. I've had that happen before.

Geeze, are you guys planning on chasing down an elk and headbutting it to death?

I'm ready to go. Archery elk and deer open here on the 15th. I have been doing crossfit for the past 18 months and am in the best shape of my life. No, I haven't converted to high socks or anything like that. The whole reason I do it is to be able to go about anywhere I want in the mountains. I never want my lack of fitness to be the reason I wasn't successful on a hunt. I've had that happen before.

Me too, My 1st elk hunt left me very humbled even though I was successful. I vowed to myself to never again be that guy in my life. So far so good.

I'm in shape...round is a shape right?!

Actually down 34lbs since May 1...combining P90X Cardio workouts, biking, and hiking with work gear. Leave for another 8 day pack trip into the Front Range (Upper Birch Creek and Upper Badger Creek) in 1 week. The work trips tend to beat the hell out of me so my workouts before and after suffer.

Lets just say the fat kid may have a rude awakening come August 10. Was planning on getting in shape while caribou hunting and a faux sheep hunt, but turns out I may be suiting up for the real deal instead. Some lessons are harder than others.

I'll be running the HURL Elkhorn 50K race this Saturday which should be a pretty good indicator for me. That will be my 3rd Ultra this season, but the other 2 were pretty flat so this will probably be a much better test of my hunting shape.

They've changed the course up a little so it is actually 32.7 miles long now with 7,875' of elevation gain and loss along the way. Of course I'll be driving from Texas to Montana to run in it and instead of getting Montana weather, it looks like I'll be bringing the Texas weather with me, the high is supposed to be 91 degrees on race day. Not looking forward to that part of it.

I remember when you started running.

Congrats, very well done.

Some of these responses had me rolling laughing....others made me want to cancel the rest of the patients this afternoon and get my A$% in higher gear! Thanks guys! :D

Back