Fall Hunt related: Covid-19 On The Rise <See Post #9 before posting>

I don't watch sports and so far the cancelled seasons have had no impact on my life. But now I am concerned that no college football and NFL this fall is going to mean the casual hunters, hikers, ATVrs, etc. will be spending a lot more time in the woods if they can't be watching sports on Saturday and Sunday.

TopGun was a great old guy who helped a lot of us (and unfortunately passed a year or so ago). He was very black and white on legal rules. He would equate parking on the shoulder of a state road with "once you start breaking the law you might as well be a bank robber". Several other members would bring this up from time to time and wait for his expected rant - it ended up being a bit of a running joke. I offered this as a light-hearted reminder of a valued former member.
I was looking at sat pics of 31, looking at parking along the interstate, and wondered what Topgun would think. He was a good dude

I don't watch sports and so far the cancelled seasons have had no impact on my life. But now I am concerned that no college football and NFL this fall is going to mean the casual hunters, hikers, ATVrs, etc. will be spending a lot more time in the woods if they can't be watching sports on Saturday and Sunday.
That's a very good point. I bet a lot of country we normally hunt in has been slammed all summer with hikers and campers, moreso than usual.

That's a very good point. I bet a lot of country we normally hunt in has been slammed all summer with hikers and campers, moreso than usual.
That's very much the case here in the east too. All types of outdoor recreational activities are gaining renewed interest across the country big time. That is why publicly traded outdoor gear companies are on a tear lately.

You are absolutely correct and I never even thought about this. I personally will make sure that I'm not in the woods or on the water when the Badgers or Packers play. If I'm on the road hunting out of state, I find a way to either listen to the game or watch it. So to some extent, it would slightly increase the amount of time I spend outdoors in the fall.

Given what happened with many states cancelling NR spring bear hunts, I’m pretty stressed that we may see similar things for fall hunts if we don’t get this thing under control in the next month. Obviously there’s a huge financial incentive for states not to do that as the financial impact of refunding all fall hunts would be astronomical compared to spring bear. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the likelihood of this happening? And which states would more/less likely to do it?

Too bad your rig didn't have the permanent tag. My old beater truck now sports them. I guess those plates will be worth something, even when the truck bites the dust.:cool:

An added plus is that they don't have the three on the plate.
I actually do have a set of 11 county permanent plates... Loved having those on my old truck.

Spent almost every day in a wildlife management area by our house from late March into June photographing sandhill cranes. It was absolutely unbelievable the amount of people walking through it vs a normal year. People bumped into the areas almost every day, and on many occasions multiple times a day. This was mid week. Met a beaver trapping couple and a dog breeder, nobody had ever seen this much traffic in the early spring. Fishing has been the same way here in Minnesota. And nobody sees it slowing down or stopping anytime soon. Especially with schools still not sure if or when they are going back and a lot of people at home. Hunting will be the same way this fall imo.

I almost cashed in all my WY points on elk this yr. glad I did not.
I will be using my 1 out-of-state tag even if they quarantine. Mine will just be 3 miles
from the trail head.
Reading abt all of the cancelled trips. There is a lot of revenue being lost north of the border

Im really hoping there's still time left for things to improve and the states that have rising cases to stabilize and start coming down and reopening can continue. I'm picking up a puppy in Utah at the end of August.

Given what happened with many states cancelling NR spring bear hunts, I’m pretty stressed that we may see similar things for fall hunts if we don’t get this thing under control in the next month. Obviously there’s a huge financial incentive for states not to do that as the financial impact of refunding all fall hunts would be astronomical compared to spring bear. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the likelihood of this happening? And which states would more/less likely to do it?
I think its a possibility, but I also think several other factors could come into play that were not in existence in the Spring when there were all these shutdowns:
1. We know a lot more about the disease
2. The public is much more fatigued over quarantines/restrictions
3. Preventative measures seem to have some acceptance and appear to help
4. Testing is much better and so maybe going the AK model where you have to show a negative before traveling is now a potential option
5. The economic impact and headache of cancellations makes fall closures a much more difficult choice than cancelling some limited spring bear hunts

My disclaimer...I drew an extremely limited bull tag so I'm pushing every possible idea i can muster as to why blanket closures are not necessary!!!

Still hasn't changed anything with mine and dads trip to Wyoming. Packing snacks and food for the road/camp just like always, paying at the pump, no restaurants, probably take some naps by pulling in some place on the way out. The only thing I may need to have contact wit anyone outside of dad for would be meat processing, but i can manage some way to do that as well if i have to. I'm thinking small genny and chest freezer.

I'm staying in MT, hoping my TX friend will be able to join. I need someone to lug another sled into the wilderness... haha!

He knows the drill, not his first, second, or third rodeo with some wild trek by his initiative and I follow, another friend, or mine.
Its a royal PITA sometimes, others, a regular PITA, and sometimes, pretty relaxed. Afterwards, some of our greatest stories, most enjoyable memories...

He asked me to rate it. Royal P! I think he's a cause for TX in the Corona Red... to get out of this trip indirectly. 🤣

Looking like my family trip to Kauai in Nov ( wife, daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandkids ) will just be my wife going with me. Son-in-law has been working harder as a pastor with the church closed more than when it was open. He does all the video work and editing and so forth. Looking like church won't be open until after Christmas at the earliest.
Really looking forward to hunting upland birds there.

There’s a lot going on so I figured I can share what I’ve found for my state. Tennessee’s hunting and fishing seasons are going remain open as of this evening. I’ve included a screen shot of the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency (TWRA) Commissioner’s statement below but in short:
“Tennessee’s hunting seasons will be open as scheduled and public lands controlled by the TWRA will remain open. Likewise, Tennessee’s lakes and rivers and the access areas controlled by the TWRA will remain open to anglers and recreational boaters.”

Attachments

• AC0FC05E-8B05-4912-A5F5-711899AF24BC.jpeg
    AC0FC05E-8B05-4912-A5F5-711899AF24BC.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 0
Looking like my family trip to Kauai in Nov ( wife, daughter, son-in-law, 2 grandkids ) will just be my wife going with me. Son-in-law has been working harder as a pastor with the church closed more than when it was open. He does all the video work and editing and so forth. Looking like church won't be open until after Christmas at the earliest.
Kauai is one of my favorite places in the whole world! Have fun!

We're questioning if we shouldn't bag our trip to Kauai in Feb. About half the family things we should, but I want to wait and see how it pans out. My only other thought is to cancel and see if we can't rebook at lower rates.

We are canceling on attending an August 8th wedding. ML's grandmother more or less said, "if you come through an airport, I can't see you." Driving 2 days each way really isn't an option...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back