Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fall Hunt related: Covid-19 On The Rise <See Post #9 before posting>

Sytes

<See Post #9 before posting>

I'd be curious what will occur in the coming months... MT, as an example is seeing records set each day.

We're nearing archery/rifle season w/ non-resident interests to hunt... I have a suspicion we may be looking at a pullback to our earlier phase or... Maybe a let it ride and the, "chips" fall where they may...

edited title as some may not read the OP before jumping in to type a post.

Last edited:
I am in the wait and see mode. It should NOT affect hunting as "social distancing" is usually at least a few hundred yards and at least 6 most of the time at camp, least where I hunt.

I am seeing inconsistent reporting from both government and health authorities so I do not know for sure what the truth is. I for one tend to believe that shutting everything down was a colossal mistake because it weakened herd immunity which is more powerful than any sort of experimental vaccine will be. Health officials in some cases are saying masks do not work and should not be worn by anyone other then medical personnel and vulnerable people with morbid health conditions.

Until there is some consistency on what is what, I am planning on hunting and going on with life and let COVID-19 run it's course. It is something I can't control so I intend to avoid it as much as I can but not worry much about it.

I am thinking the rise is attributable to two things: (1) the mass protests where everyone was in close contact with each other and there was even inadvertent exchanges of body fluids and (2) more testing. My own doctor questions the accuracy of testing because he thinks they are picking up other corona viruses than COVID-19 such as SARS-1 and the common cold.

Infections are up but the death rate hasn't changed at all. The numbers are skewed because of the now readily availability of test kits. As prior most people infected are asymptomatic. Its still the elderly and infirm most at risk. Still only a 0.03% chance of dying. We are fast approaching herd immunity; estimates are 50-60 million have been infected. Also, some researchers have discovered that some people are immune just naturally. Good genes I suspect or the ones who religiously take a flu shot every year are super protected. That hasn't been verified tho; I just suspect it because the common flu is also a coronavirus. Its a politicized thing now and has been for some time. Kung flu suck.

I am thinking the rise is attributable to two things: (1) the mass protests where everyone was in close contact with each other and there was even inadvertent exchanges of body fluids and (2) more testing. My own doctor questions the accuracy of testing because he thinks they are picking up other corona viruses than COVID-19 such as SARS-1 and the common cold.
I hesitate to even post for fear of reliving the previous thread on this topic. The rise is greater than can be attributed to more testing alone. The contact tracing is showing that being indoors (bars/resturants) is worse than being outside (the protest) by a factor of 4. Being in a home or car with an infected individual is the absolute worst. You are practically guaranteed to be positive. The test is picking up the right virus. You are not getting false positives, in fact you are more likely to get a false negative. Masks help. Please, stop spreading things from Facebook.

Back to Sytes original post, my plan is to hunt but try to eliminate all external contact I can. Gas stops are a necessity, but other than those I will probably pack a little more to avoid having to go inside anywhere. going to miss that cheeseburger and beer at the nearest bar.

Given how most the COVID threads have went, I am following this one. If I was a gambling man, based upon how these COVID threads go combined with my current low tolerance for carnage piling up in the Hunt Talk ditch, my bet would be that this thread will get closed by tomorrow morning.

Keep it focused on the points that Sytes has made in his original post related to how this could affect hunting this fall. The person who derails this thread will be gone for more than the 4th of July weekend.

Would be interested as well how the fall unfolds.

I can imagine hunting by myself no problem, but to do a trip with socializing restrictions? Or potential quarantine restrictions? Would be a damper to not be able to get a burger and beer and some hole in the wall joint.

I have a scouting trip to MT planned for the 11th of this month. I'm genuinely concerned that we're going to get hung up somewhere (flights, hotel, rental car) and it will be a waste of money. I'm not too worried (at this point) for the drive up in the fall unless they are stopping cars at the borders.

Montana Governor Bullock held this press conference a couple hours ago. The video is within. The lower one seemed to work best for me. It starts @ 2:40

I almost get the feeling the non resident aspect may not be as big a concern as it is more-so following the PPE and distancing, at least from Gov Bullock's comments.
I think, speaking for Montana, we are lackadasical in our reaction to the prior shutdown. Basically, it's back to playtime approach is taking its toll.

I think as the summer progresses and we have increased testing and spread of the virus, along with the realization that the fatality rate is nowhere near what we thought it was I just don’t see the point of closing anything down again.
I guess I look at it like this if my state has 50,000 cases and your state has 50,000 cases does it really matter if one of us takes a hunting trip in the other state.
anyway isn’t hunting all about social distancing anyway?

Colorado has shown that it will take a very conservative approach. I'm definitely worried about fall hunting. I doubt there will be an order from Polis but if the Texas trend continues I would put money that SW counties will close their doors to anyone not residing in the county.

This is how they handled the Spanish flu, this is what they did in March.

The CDC and the WHO are the experts.

Not some guy that said something that one time.

Not some flat-earther on Facebook.

Not some anecdotal statement from someone who just doesn’t want to wear a mask, and makes up reasons for it.

Not Sean Hannity

Not Chris Cuomo

Certainly not Donald Trump

Everyone feels like they are the “expert” because there is a serious lack of leadership in this country through all of this.

My son’s soccer coach is a scientist who has studied Coronavirus’ his entire lengthy career, his suggestion; treat everyone as though they have it. In his 40+ years studying CV, his experience is exactly what we’re seeing now, bad tests, inaccurate tests, false positives and negatives, and lots of death.

I trust scientists, I trust the CDC, I trust the WHO......politicians and news outlets, not so much.

Don’t trust me either, I’m usually full of shit.

It seem that people were under the assumption that quarantine was a cure, it wasn't, it was to curve the spread. We did that! Now it's time to see where the cards land.
I think Montana at most, will limit out of state travellers like they did this spring.

This has been on my mind quite a bit this week. I have 5 wyoming tags that I would hate to miss, but they have very little cases, and it would be understandable if they tried to keep it that way by keeping outsiders out. I think wllm1313 is spot on with what Colorado may do, especially with NRs from Texas, Az, Florida etc

This has been on my mind quite a bit this week. I have 5 wyoming tags that I would hate to miss, but they have very little cases, and it would be understandable if they tried to keep it that way by keeping outsiders out. I think wllm1313 is spot on with what Colorado may do, especially with NRs from Texas, Az, Florida etc
I am a state employee and I have read each and every one of the Governor's and the State Health Officer's orders and press releases. I think in a worst case scenario is you will have to self quarantine for two weeks. Nothing in the order says that can not be in your tent at hunting camp LOL. And unlike New York, New Jersey and that, there is very little enforcement action except on some businesses. But on serious side, I think the worst is over for Wyoming except spikes in some areas.

I am quite concerned about not being allowed into ID. Thankfully I didn't actual buy any tags and just planned on being a spotter and sherpa, but being relegated to WA for the year will be quite depressing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back