Caribou Gear

Fall Hunt related: Covid-19 On The Rise <See Post #9 before posting>

right now i'm only hunting colorado

i seemed to manage to get 40 or so miles from home to turkey hunt when the governor said i can't go farther than 10 miles from home...

not too worried right now

COVID-19 will not interfere with any of my hunts unless we go into severe lock down. Hunts I have so far is antelope last week of September, elk hunt from Oct 9-24, then followed by rabbit and turkey hunt.

My thoughts still question the validity of the testing because my own doctor has doubts on accuracy of the tests. He still thinks they pickup other forms of the corona virus family as false positives. I also wonder if there aint a financial incentive for states and certain cities to have a number of "positive tests" rather than accurate test results?

Just FYI, but the CDC says the same.

What do your results mean?
If you test positive
  • A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.

If you test positive
  • A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. However, there is a chance a positive result means that you have antibodies from an infection with a virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses), such as the one that causes the common cold.

Just to be clear. This test is one for the antibodies that show you were previously infected with Covid 19.

The test that is leading every news story about the virus is a test for the presence of the virus itself, not antibodies.

Just to be clear. This test is one for the antibodies that show you were previously infected with Covid 19.

The test that is leading every news story about the virus is a test for the presence of the virus itself, not antibodies.

It isn't just antibody and PCR tests that are being counted. It is also probable cases which could mean you just came into contact with another probable. This is from a large county (Collin County) commissioner's court meeting in TX. Pretty eye opening to what is considered a case. It is only a 4 min video. But at the end it shows how one case (tested positive) turned into 17 total cases....even though only one person tested positive.

Last edited:

Depends on the state.
Most of the positives in AZ are from nasal swabs, but Arizona is not parsing out antibody tests and nasal swabs in their report of daily positives.
At least they weren’t as of last week.

The nasal test is a test for the virus. It takes a blood sample to test for the antibodies.

If Arizona is conflating the two different tests,, that's bad performance from them.

If Arizona is conflating the two different tests,, that's bad performance from them.

They’ve been getting called out on it since at-least early May including by the media, but as of last week the state Dept of Health Website’s dashboard explained that they were being combined. Regardless, there’s plenty of active real cases (as evidenced by the full ICU).

The nasal test is a test for the virus. It takes a blood sample to test for the antibodies.

They are all considered cases. PCR, Serology, and probable cases. All count toward the numbers the media publish daily.

If you test positive

Much of this is dependent on the sensitivity of tests. Most serological antibody tests out there are now having sensitivity trending north of 99%. There are however still some tests still out there with low specificity which tend to be the rapid tests and test kits. I'm not sure why, with such better options out there that these are still allowed under the EUA.

Heck of a year to draw a UT elk tag... Edit: Odds were 3% on late season. Hit in the random pass, very little chance I would draw again next season if I were to turn it in. Would like to fly and stay in a cabin, but if I have to will drive and sleep in a tent. Fingers crossed things trend for the better and I stay healthy.

Last edited:
It is far worse if you happen to hunt in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut and you are a nonresident. Not sure what the opportunities for nonresidents are in that state, but the odds are you would not be able to hunt. If you do, you need to allow 14 days quarantine time. The below link is New York, but New Jersey and Connecticut have apparently adopted it. I am not sure hunt camp qualifies as quarrantine.

I acknowledge at the start that these are first world problems but looks nearly certain that my son and my fly-in fishing trip in Ontario is shot. We already moved it from the end of June to the end of July. Probably less than 10% chance border opens on July 21st. Also puts our end of August fly-in black bear hunt in jeopardy as well. Looking at a clear wash on those two I think. It would take a WY 14 day quarantine rule for hunters camping on BLM land for us to cancel our pronghorn trip in October. Fingers remain crossed.

Much of this is dependent on the specificity of tests. Most serological antibody tests out there are now having specificity trending north of 99%. There are however still some tests still out there with low specificity which tend to be the rapid tests and test kits. I'm not sure why, with such better options out there that these are still allowed under the EUA.

It's info like this that makes HT worth refreshing

My plans are to stay at a motel in Wyoming and shoot a few does. I'm not comfortable doing the meat on ice method for an extended period of time, so I book a relatively cheap motel and bring a little chest freezer to stay in the room.

I don't know how I'll be able to do this trip if I can't stay in a motel. I guess I don't totally see how me staying in a motel room for a week would endanger anyone, I typically hang the "do not disturb" sign on the door so wouldn't necessarily be getting the daily service to put someone else at risk.

I acknowledge at the start that these are first world problems but looks nearly certain that my son and my fly-in fishing trip in Ontario is shot. We already moved it from the end of June to the end of July. Probably less than 10% chance border opens on July 21st. Also puts our end of August fly-in black bear hunt in jeopardy as well. Looking at a clear wash on those two I think. It would take a WY 14 day quarantine rule for hunters camping on BLM land for us to cancel our pronghorn trip in October. Fingers remain crossed.
There currently is no 14 day quarantine for Wyoming. That order was cancelled in early June I believe. At this point, I doubt that any reissue of that order will happen. They do however require masks in some cities and prefer you wear them where social distancing is not possible. I would plan on wearing the mask if you go to town to get gas or groceries or anything.

There currently is no 14 day quarantine for Wyoming. That order was cancelled in early June I believe. At this point, I doubt that any reissue of that order will happen. They do however require masks in some cities and prefer you wear them where social distancing is not possible. I would plan on wearing the mask if you go to town to get gas or groceries or anything.
Thanks - I was aware the original order is gone, was referencing a potential future reinstatement. Hope you are right on the chance of that happening. Always happy to respect the wishes of the locals on this and other topics, we try to be good guests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back