Fall 2019 Iowa Deer and Turkey

Good luck in Iowa this weekend, I'll be out in south central Nebraska during the same time frame in some more open crp type country as well. Weather forecast has me excited.

Man I am not mad at the ducks anymore. I don't get after them until it gets cold out. I do miss it when I see pictures. My kids enjoy deer hunting so much. I killed two does with my daughter in the stand next to me Friday night. She had her muzzy with us but she wanted to get down early so I had unloaded and dropped the primer. I looked over as I was going to take the arrow out of my bow and there was a doe there. She told me to kill it she wanted steak. I shot her and then the other one came and stood in the same place so I shot it also. The place I hunt requires 2 antlerless before you can shoot a buck.

Man I am not mad at the ducks anymore. I don't get after them until it gets cold out. I do miss it when I see pictures. My kids enjoy deer hunting so much. I killed two does with my daughter in the stand next to me Friday night. She had her muzzy with us but she wanted to get down early so I had unloaded and dropped the primer. I looked over as I was going to take the arrow out of my bow and there was a doe there. She told me to kill it she wanted steak. I shot her and then the other one came and stood in the same place so I shot it also. The place I hunt requires 2 antlerless before you can shoot a buck.
Wow that's pretty extreme "earn a buck". congrats on your 2 deer

Wow that's pretty extreme "earn a buck". congrats on your 2 deer

It’s a private lake so that is there rules. If you shoot 4 deer one year you are good for the next. I only got three last year. Missed the 4th judge the range wrong!

I finished my long list of projects today about 2:45, then left to go hunting. First I hit up a few oxbows for wood ducks. I wasn't seeing anything and about to call it quits when I heard a whistle a little deeper in the woods. Turned out to be a dozen woodies. I got to within 50 yards, and while they were moving around quite a bit, there were just too many eyes to close the distance to get a shot. I could have army crawled to get right up on them, but every other plant was poison ivy, so that was not happening. I watched them through the binos for maybe 20 minutes. IMO, drake woodies are one of the most striking animals native to Iowa. I figured I'd back out, then loop around and get in closer by blocking my approach with some trees. It didn't work, and the pond erupted with wings with no clear shooting.

The forecast was no wind, so I opted to sit the inside edge of the doe bedding area until nightfall. This time the deer read the script. I first noticed a flicker of brown/grey movement (red arrow) about 65 yards away through thick brush. It took another 10 minutes or so of looking through the binos to spot a doe. She came right in like she did on 10/3, and paused for another couple minutes (blue arrow). I was ready to draw back as soon as she began walking towards the shooting lane. However, when she made the move she let the momentum of the embankment carry her running across the draw to the left, and she was out of sight. Her fawn did not take the same path, but came in about 6-7 yards closer along the top of the draw (yellow arrow). I spent this time ID'ing it as a doe fawn, which is a shooter. When she began to descend the embankment I drew back, and when she cleared the lane I let out a "MEP!" to get her to stop. No effect, and I tried again. This time she stopped, but the front half of her body was obscured by a tree limb, so I let down. After she moved on I realized I could have leaned to my right and probably saw vitals. However, that would mean shooting from a pretty strained posture, and even though it was only 28 yards I'm glad I did not attempt the shot.

IMG_0697.JPG

Less than 10 minutes of shooting remaining I heard an animal to my right. I looked and at first I thought it was another doe, but it turned out to be a 2 1/2 year old buck with a spindly 9-point rack. He was just 8 yards away and he circled around me, eventually picking up on the scent from my trail walking in. He snorted and ran off. When it was dark I got up to leave and saw that he had walked back again to investigate. You can see the tuck up of his belly from the fuzzy pic I took. He stared at me, then made yet another loop around me, and walked to within 50 yards. He finally quit being curious, snorted again and bounded off. Hopefully he survives a couple more seasons. The #1 killer of bucks around this property is vehicle collisions.

IMG_0699.JPG

With a different wind direction tonight, I made a big loop around and hunted the opposite side of the bedding area, where my stand is. I climbed up, but after looking around I didn't like having no shooting lane directly behind me, where the deer have been traveling. I opted to hunt from the ground, facing the opposite direction. This proved to be a mistake. I soon saw a flicker of movement in the thick stuff, but nothing soon to follow.

About 45 mins later at sunset a doe and her fawn came flying in from my right and were on top of me broadside within about 2 seconds. I'm right-handed, so there's no shooting across my body to the right. Had they come in slower, I could have repositioned and been ready, but with eyes at 10 yards I was pinned down. Within another couple minutes they caught my downhill thermal and the gig was up.

Had I opted to stay in my stand it would have been a 5-yard shot :D :D

Friday night was an uneventful sit in my treestand on public land. The red lines are the deer trails running parallel to the stand, and the blue lines are the private property boundary.

IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0710.JPG

I was eagerly anticipating this morning's hunt. The first cold morning of late October is one of my favorite days of the year, as it can be the first time that big bucks reveal themselves during the first half hour of daylight. While the 12th is not late October, it snowed twice yesterday, and it got plenty cold overnight, so today was the day. I hiked in to my glassing spot in the dark and bumped 7 deer. This was to be expected based on my route to have the wind right when I got there. Then another doe was in my glassing spot when I arrived. I gave a couple of doe bleats and fawn bleats to see if her curiosity would lure her in, but she would come no closer than 50 yards. Eventually she wandered off and bedded on my side of the drainage. I was not here for does, so it was a relief that she did not spook, and alarm other animals. The delay caused me to begin my glassing just as it was shooting light.

About 15-20 minutes of picking apart the landscape I spotted an enormous buck at 475 yards. I was able to make out 2 points from the main beam on each side, with no brow tines visible (they were probably present, but stubby). He looked to be an old deer past his prime, I'd guess 9 1/2 years old. The antlers were very heavy mass, about 19" inside spread, and tines were under 7". I LOVE old bucks - they are very rare to see on public land in IA, and I'd prefer one of them over a buck with a big rack any day. He meandered for a while, then his body language showed that he was getting ready to bed. This could not have worked out any better. It was windy and there was a stream bed near to him that I could use to conceal nearly all of my approach. He then seemed to change his mind and took a few lazy bounds towards me, and then walked to the left only to be obscured by a giant maple tree still full of green leaves. He was 375 yards from me when he disappeared. I spent the next 35 minutes trying to pick him out again with no luck. I could see every exit near the tree, so I hoped he had decided to bed down behind it somewhere.

While I don't like blind stalks, I didn't want to leave this opportunity on the table. I spent the next 45 minutes closing the distance, and jumped a doe and two fawns on the way there. I quietly climbed up his side of the creek, underneath the maple tree. I spent about 15 minutes picking apart the near landscape looking for antlers. No dice. Another 15 minutes to decide on a plan. I made my best guess of where this guy was bedded (red arrow), and created an approach route.

IMG_0711.JPG

Before heading off I spotted this doe get up out of her bed on another hill at 230 yards. She snacked for a bit, then bedded back down, facing me. I knew she'd see me when I stood up, and my only hope is she would not spook - she didn't, and instead got up again and moved away. I knocked an arrow.

IMG_0714.JPG

I inched through the open, picking apart the landscape looking for antler tines in grass 4-7 feet tall. I found a trail that he might have taken in, but the fresh prints did not look like big buck prints.

IMG_0712.JPG

I should have decided this was not his route and re-evaluated, but I didn't. I kept walking to where I thought he should have been, and it dead-ended at several doe and fawn beds. By this time I wondered if he had detected me at some point over the last 90 minutes or so and took off. I made a grunt call, and got ready to shoot in case he stood up. Again, no dice. I thought I would give it once last go by covering the last little bit of terrain blocked by the maple. I completely backed out, and searched for another trail leading into the area, and found one. This was my view at the time - the red circle is where I thought he would be, and the tree above it was the one obstructing my line of sight when I glassed him.

IMG_0713.JPG

I should have looked for his tracks on the new trail, but I didn't. I again worked my way in ever-so-slowly, scanning everywhere for antlers, and moving when the wind gusted to cover my sound. Depending how thick the grass was, I scanned as far as I thought I could see a deer, then covering the near ground with my eyes before moving forward. At one point I had been standing in place looking for about 5-6 minutes when the buck exploded from right in front of me. 9:40 AM. He might have been old, but he was not slow! The massive deer with thick beautiful antlers took off like a rocket, and out of my life. I paced the distance to his bed, 12 yards. The cover was not particularly thick between me and him. I had just been looking right where he was and completely overlooked him. If I had been looking for his body as well as antlers, I most likely would have seen him. It would have been a clear shot, quartering away 45 degrees relaxed in his bed. He ended up being 30 yards from where I had grunted at him. Here's a pic of where he was laying.

IMG_0715.JPG

These kind of amazing opportunities do not come along very often, but it's sure fun when they do! I spent about 10 minutes kicking myself for my mistakes, but after that it was back to feeling just amazing for having been able to get so close. I'll be back at it soon :p:p

Last edited:
Trying out a new public spot tonight I've e-scouted but never put boots on. About 90% of my spots are not very huntable yet because the crops are still in, but that will be changing very soon. Took both the bow and the shotgun now that the latter is legal for turkey. What looked best on Google earth had 3 hunting stands within 100 yards of each other so I went to plan B. I'm on a field edge with a staging area behind it. This is primarily a turkey spot, but I have found nothing but very old sign. The deer munch the edge of the corn but there are swirling winds so I do not have high hopes. Mostly just enjoying the nice fall weather 😀😀

1014191710.jpg 1014191709.jpg

Last edited:
The set-up worked. I heard a twig snap twenty minutes before sunset, then five minutes later a tall 8-point came in from the staging area from right to left (red line) at 17 yards. I'm guessing he was a 3 1/2 year old buck based on antler mass, but he might have been 2 1/2. In any event, I liked what I saw and decided I would try to put an arrow through him. I had grass about 3 feet tall concealing my movements, so I got my bow ready and awaited an opportunity to draw. He was walking slowly, and every now and again stopped to look and listen for danger. When his eyes were obstructed I drew. As he approached the edge of the grass I lacked a clear view of his vitals, so I waited for them to become clear on his way to the cornfield. At the edge he looked like he was starting to pick up on my scent. He was due N of me, and the wind was SSE, but swirling. I figured it would not be long before the gig was up.

86866-0ed0f76e7dce52664ee813baaffd0390.jpg

At this point I could see his entire head and neck, his body forward of his hindquarters, and the top half of his chest, exactly broadside. I had been at full draw for 2 minutes and was still holding pretty steady, despite my heart pounding. I had ranged some objects when I had first set up in the area, and based on where he was standing in relation to them I guessed him to be 30 yards away. I lined up a spot approx 1" high of the center of his vitals to clear all but the tips of the grass and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt perfect. I watched the arrow go exactly where I envisioned it. The windage appeared to be dead on. He did not appear to move until after the arrow reached him. There was road noise, and I did not hear a hit. He instantly spun around and took off at 60°. I only saw the first 10 yards of his run, but it was fast, low to the ground, tail between his legs. I only heard about 2-3 seconds of him tearing through the grass, and then nothing. Again, road noise covered everything beyond this.

I waited 15 minutes, then went to inspect. The actual distance to him was 27 yards. No hair, no blood, no arrow. The place where the arrow might have gone was thick grass, so this was not very telling. I waited another 15 minutes, then began looking for a blood trail in the failing light. I spent the next 2 hours looking for blood by headlamp and found nothing at all. The area he ran into is a sea of 6 foot tall very dense grass, completely unlike the nice open area he walked through to get to me. His body could be 8 feet from where I was walking and I would not have seen it. I inspected all the trails in the direction he ran, but no blood. I bumped a deer 100° from where he was standing when he ran, but I don't think it was him. That deer was not bedded and I went to where it had been standing and there was no blood.

I really, REALLY hate giving up on the search for now. It's sad, and discouraging, and frustrating. The coyotes might be having a feast as I type this. I have other commitments I need to keep from 9:30 PM tonight through 11 AM tomorrow morning, but then I'll have between noon and 9 PM to find the buck.

I think the most likely possibility is he ran about 100 yards and is laying out there somewhere stone cold dead. I think the second most likely possibility is I hit him just above the vitals, due to aiming 1" high, another 2" high from putting the pins at 30 yards instead of 27, and if I happened to be off another 2" high from any other factors I would be outside the vitals. A third possibility is a clean miss if he somehow jumped the string.

Despite the lack of finding any blood, I am cautiously optimistic. If absolutely nothing turns up after nine hours of searching tomorrow, I'll be tearing all the grass up to try and find my arrow. A clean arrow means a miss and will continue to hunt, but no arrow or a bloody one means the tag gets notched.

I'm off to see what sleep I can get tonight, and really hoping this turns out well tomorrow.

Was able to clear my morning schedule, and recruited a friend to help me look. He went to look for blood and suggested I try to find the arrow. I found a clean fletching, then my friend found the other two, and the shaft, also clean. Buck fever and sailed it over his back before hitting a woody plant. That makes 5 of last 5 bucks I've missed clean. Good ending following a sleepless night.

Was able to clear my morning schedule, and recruited a friend to help me look. He went to look for blood and suggested I try to find the arrow. I found a clean fletching, then my friend found the other two, and the shaft, also clean. Buck fever and sailed it over his back before hitting a woody plant. That makes 5 of last 5 bucks I've missed clean. Good ending following a sleepless night.

That’s not what I wanted to read following your other post. Sucks, but at least you can rest easy knowing he’s no worse for wear.

Very windy afternoon so headed back to where I blew the stalk on the buck to see what I could glass up. Saw 2 does making their way in a hurry to a wind row at 450 yards. Tried to intercept them but I knew this would only work if they slowed down a bit or stopped, of which they did neither. On the way I set down my bow to try to relocate them through the binoculars and a tom turkey jumped up at 5 yards in the open and walked off - by the time I scrambled to get my equipment ready he was gone. It's the third time in this same spot I've flushed turkeys. This tom may end up in the fryer before too long - he was pretty relaxed.

Deer everywhere for this evening's sit. Bumped at least one on the way in, then a doe and two fawns walked in 10 minutes later. They were approaching a shooting lane so I went to full draw, but they did not commit. After a couple minutes I let down. They milled around a bit, then one walked towards the open lane again, but stopped about six feet short. At full draw another couple minutes and let down a second time. Soon after this I hear an alarm snort from a deer running away off to my right through some brush but I can't see the deer who made it. However, there are two other deer in that direction feeding towards me, a doe and a forky. They came to about 20 yards, obstructed, then change direction off towards my truck. The alarm snort had scared off the doe and her two fawns. I waited until the buck and doe were out of sight, then tried to make a big loop around to my truck and head them off. It didn't work - they beat me there. I guess I should have just sat on my tailgate in the open field - would have had a 10 yard shot at that doe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back