Fairbanks in June

fmnjr

Our destination/departure is Fairbanks in June for 6 days. Not a hunting trip, more of a "let's do a road trip and some exploration in Alaska" thing. We'll have a vehicle and personal belongings, probably some backpacking gear we'll have shipped there in advance. No way we can do it justice in 6 days. Getting some pointers from the HT AK heads would be very helpful I'm thinking. Never been to AK before so we're just grateful to be going. But, if there's something we should prioritize over everything else, should would appreciated hearing about it......thank you.

Our destination/departure is Fairbanks in June for 6 days. Not a hunting trip, more of a "let's do a road trip and some exploration in Alaska" thing. We'll have a vehicle and personal belongings, probably some backpacking gear we'll have shipped there in advance. No way we can do it justice in 6 days. Getting some pointers from the HT AK heads would be very helpful I'm thinking. Never been to AK before so we're just grateful to be going. But, if there's something we should prioritize over everything else, should would appreciated hearing about it......thank you.
Most traffic is south of Denali thru Anchorage and on the Kenai.

For alpine tundra backpacking, the 27 mile trail from 12-mile Summit to Eagle Summit up the Steese Highway.
For a day hike, Bison Gulch by Healy up to the Denali National Park alpine area.

Denali is an option if your interested in seeing caribou/dall sheep/bears/wolves etc.
The landslide closed the road at mile 45 for the forseeable future.

Fishing is generally slow due to high water from snowmelt...we are over 200 percent above normal snowpack.

Chena Hot Springs is a nice day trip, the ice hotel is pretty neat and some cool greenhouse/geothermal stuff.

The 365 mile drive down to Valdez goes right through the Alaska Range, past the Wrangell Mtns and thru the Chugach Mountains
and is spectacular. Stop at Delta for a blueberry shake, stop near Donnelly Dome and usually see bison and moose.
You could fish for lake trout in the Tangle Lakes area at ice-out off the Denali Highway.
Stop at Worthington Glacier and the falls of Keystone Canyon.
Valdez either halibut fishing or a boat sightseeing tour with Stan Stevens Glacier & Wildlife Cruises.

For alpine tundra backpacking, the 27 mile trail from 12-mile Summit to Eagle Summit up the Steese Highway.
For a day hike, Bison Gulch by Healy up to the Denali National Park alpine area.

Denali is an option if your interested in seeing caribou/dall sheep/bears/wolves etc.

Fishing is generally slow due to high water from snowmelt...we are over 200 percent above normal snowpack.

Chena Hot Springs is a nice day trip, the ice hotel is pretty neat and some cool greenhouse/geothermal stuff.

The 365 mile drive down to Valdez goes right through the Alaska Range, past the Wrangell Mtns and thru the Chugach Mountains
and is spectacular. Stop at Delta for a blueberry shake, stop near Donnelly Dome and usually see bison and moose.
You could fish for lake trout in the Tangle Lakes area at ice-out off the Denali Highway.
Valdez either halibut fishing or a boat sightseeing tour with Stan Stevens Glacier & Wildlife Cruises.
Awesome! We will research all these suggestions thank you so much 👍

Was curious and looked up the slide, looks pretty permanent: https://fm.kuac.org/local-news/2022...andslide-increases-while-bridge-plan-advances

I second the recommendation to head towards Denali, then hook a left in Cantwell for the Denali Highway.
The Denali NP front country will be like mini Yellowstone so be prepared for that; however, there are some beautiful and accessible hiking trails at the front of the park to enjoy. I'd skip the bus ride into the park, but would recommend a drive in to the Savage River check station.
You'll experience a whole lot less traffic and people taking the Denali Highway to Paxon, and the land just continues to unfold with incredible beauty the longer you go. Heading North from Paxon is some of my favorite country so drive slow and don't be in a hurry. One of the best parts of Alaska in my opinion is the lack of barbed wired fences, so if you see a mountain you want to climb or some animals you want to get a better look at just get out and go take a look.

I second the recommendation to head towards Denali, then hook a left in Cantwell for the Denali Highway.
The Denali NP front country will be like mini Yellowstone so be prepared for that; however, there are some beautiful and accessible hiking trails at the front of the park to enjoy. I'd skip the bus ride into the park, but would recommend a drive in to the Savage River check station.
You'll experience a whole lot less traffic and people taking the Denali Highway to Paxon, and the land just continues to unfold with incredible beauty the longer you go. Heading North from Paxon is some of my favorite country so drive slow and don't be in a hurry. One of the best parts of Alaska in my opinion is the lack of barbed wired fences, so if you see a mountain you want to climb or some animals you want to get a better look at just get out and go take a look.
The Denali Highway can be a long slow, muddy or dusty drive from Cantwell to Paxson.
The drive from Delta to Paxon is paved, shorter, usually see more critters, and is more spectacular going through the Alaska Range.

Sounds like a great time and should see a lot. If you have some time left over it would be a FULL day on a 'dangerous' road but going up the Dalton to the Arctic Circle would be a cool deal. Something I'm hoping to do with my family this year - maybe go up and camp for a weekend.
But I love the White Mountains out the Steese where AlaskaHunter was talking about, and I've been over some of that country and I think that any of the above suggestions would be fantastic. I've been here 6 years in July and still haven't driven from Cantwell to Paxson but it is on my list to do.
I don't think there are any musts but there is some big differences between the various regions. In many ways driving down to Valdez will let you see the biggest variances in Alaska's vast eco/environmental systems as you will cover a good 1/3 - 1/2 of the state latitude wise.

Last edited:
You could take a train from Anch. to Fairbanks for 223 RT or south to Valdez for $116 RT. The train has excursions for an extra cost along the way:

Another vote for Denali Hwy weather permitting. The drive down to Cantwell is decent and stop in Healy for a beer at 49th state brewing is suggested. Food there is pretty good also. Going the other way, the drive down to Paxon is similar. Again, weather dependent, a stop in Delta at Clearwater rec site can yield some decent grayling fishing, or at least it used to.
I also recommend a trip to Chena hotsprings for a soak, beer, dinner if it works out.
A drive out towards Fox may be of interest. There are a couple pull offs right by the pipeline and a stop at the Howling Dog for a beer would be in order. We always try to work in a stop at Ivory Jacks for pizza and in Fairbanks, we also try to hit Banks Ale House and Hoo Doo brewery.

Last edited:
Big Daddy's BBQ has awesome burnt ends and a nice smoked prime rib sandwich. North of town on the Steese Hwy. is Chatanika Lodge. The place is a tourist attraction in itself with all of the items hanging around on the walls. Their chili is pretty dang good, also. The remains of an old gold dredge sit across the road from them.

North Pole has the Santa Claus House. 'Nuff said!

Another long day drive would be Fairbanks to Tok (200 miles),
then the Tok cutoff to Glennallen thru the AK Range,
then Glennallen to Delta again thru the AK range to Big Delta
, then 100 miles back to Fairbanks.

In Fairbanks the Large Animal Research Station (LARS) to see musk ox and reindeer,
the Georgeson Botanical Garden at the University Farm, Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum,
Fish and Game Headquarters/Creamers Field, the Pipeline near Fox,
Riverboat Discovery, Malemute Saloon and Ester Gold Camp etc.

There are something like 13 Thai restaurants in the Fairbanks/North Pole area,
my favorite is Lemongrass near the University.
Pikes is a good place do dine on the deck near the airport.

Last edited:
Up the Dalton as in to Prudoe Bay, right? If yes, I looked at that....who knows, if we get a wild hair....maybe!
Yes, sorry. Head North - @AlaskaHunter may know better but I think it is pretty much an all day trip just to drive their, hang out, then come back. The road is not for the faint of hear either. But it could be cool - I want to take my wife and 5 kids and go do that this summer myself.

Another long day drive would be Fairbanks to Tok (200 miles),
then the Tok cutoff to Glennallen thru the AK Range,
then Glennallen to Delta again thru the AK range to Big Delta
, then 100 miles back to Fairbanks.

In Fairbanks the Large Animal Research Station (LARS) to see musk ox and reindeer,
the Georgeson Botanical Garden at the University Farm, Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum,
Fish and Game Headquarters/Creamers Field, the Pipeline near Fox,
Riverboat Discovery, Malemute Saloon and Ester Gold Camp etc.

There are something like 13 Thai restaurants in the Fairbanks/North Pole area,
my favorite is Lemongrass near the University.
Pikes is a good place do dine on the deck near the airport.
LARS is a great thing I'd never thought to tell people about - great idea that!
;) I like Thai House on 5th better but Lemongrass is good. A lot of good Thai Food in Fairbanks, as you said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back