Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

factory 7mm08 loads

VAspeedgoat

Some of you may remember from some of my prior threads that I am getting a custome gun put together. After much debate on here, I saw the light and settled on a 7mm08 instead of a wildcat or .284. One of the many reasons was the ability to use factory ammo if need be. I was unable to get anything worked up this winter and will be getting the gun back soon. With the busiest time on the farm looming, I was wondering what you guys reccomend in factory ammo.

It will be a whitetail gun mostly but also mule deer and pronghorn. I have looked at some of the 120 grain copper bullets because I am a velocity junkie but I have no experience with them. I am not too proud to use something like a 140 gr partition either. Also, I am a 300 to 350 yard guy, so maybe high velocity is not needed. Also have looked at superformance ammo.

I don't mind paying for better ammo but will gladly save money if it works good. I prefer pass through shots also. I have nothing against things like ballistic tips or accubonds though. I will pick quality and accuracy over speed, especially at my preffered range.

Thanks for any suggestions, it will get me shooting this summer sooner than waiting on me to get loads done.

Had fair accuracy fireforming some Hornady Superformance 139 SST for cases & barrel break in.

If your rifle likes Hornady Superformace ammo it's pretty tough to beat. It is hands down my favorite factory fodder.

The first time I hunted with a 7mm08 I was using a borrowed Rem 700 Mountain rifle. Borrowed ammo too. 2 shots, 2 deer, bang flop. Plain Jane Rem 140 gr core locks. I've shot nothing but ballistic tip handloads in my personal weapon. Bang flop, Bang flop, Bang flop......it's wonderfully boring.

Last edited:
everyone I know that shoots a 7 mm 08 around me shoots 140 core locks and they never have a problem taking deer.

If Hornady makes their American Whitetail ammo in 7-08, it would be a good choice. I hand-load only, but a friend of mine was shooting it on my range one day and I was amazed at the accuracy. 139 Interlocks are hard to beat for deer/antelope.

Hand-loads=Accubonds or Partitions.

Yes,I tried them in my 700 -06 and they shoot sweet,the Accubonds. Have more downrange velocity than the Federals Barnes I had been using.165's
Buddy w/7mm08 is using them and they are about 1/2" groups @ 200 too.....I'll ask which one,140?150? He shoots elk too.

If Hornady makes their American Whitetail ammo in 7-08, it would be a good choice

Theydo and it was the most econmical I found.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back