Facebook Ads

Losing_Sanity

Ever wonder, who is listening?
My wife said she was going to dinner with a friend last night. When she got home from work to change and get ready to go, she told me they would be at the Olive Garden and asked if I would like her to bring me something home to eat.
Now I am getting ads for Olive Garden on Facebook from one verbal conversation. Obviously, they didn't listen long enough to hear me say that place sucks. 🤔

Don't know about FB as I am not on it but I am positive Alexa and my Iphone are listening to what I say. I had this exact conversation with my wife about two months ago because my news feed started to fill up with Vegan and Plant based diet articles after my wife told me she was going to start going with a vegan diet. I get them all the time now and I have never searched or opened an article about veganism. Not sure which is more concerning, the spying or that my wife is a vegan?

Ever wonder, who is listening?
My wife said she was going to dinner with a friend last night. When she got home from work to change and get ready to go, she told me they would be at the Olive Garden and asked if I would like her to bring me something home to eat.
Now I am getting ads for Olive Garden on Facebook from one verbal conversation. Obviously, they didn't listen long enough to hear me say that place sucks. 🤔

Did she pay with a credit card?

I’ve noticed the same thing, both with advertisements and suggested friends.

Now, my phone has Face ID and I really don’t know how I feel about it.

It is pretty wild that our phones know who who we are married to and what they are searching. My hunting ads come up on my wifes phone and her clothes and baby stuff adds pop up on mine. Pretty disturbing. Also all of our phones microphones are on 24/7 and can start recording upon spoken Key words. NSA type stuff but I would not be surprised at all if companies have found a way to buy all this info or just steal it.

A quick search turned this up, I knew the NSA could listen to ambient conversations around a phone but I guess Facebook also has it's own triggers to start recording info.

Facebook scares the sh** out of me and that all of this is becoming so normal that the masses brush it aside as something everyone has is worse. A while back the founders of Instagram which had since been bought by FB resigned from thier positions because they were uncomfortable with how invasive the company was becoming under FBs umbrella. They also urged everyone to delete thier Facebooks.
People are being surveilled far more by private companies than by the govt. Either to market to you or sell your information to marketers, or worse who knows.

Facebook does listen to you through your phone. Think snapchat does too, which is Google owned, and no telling what else. But you can turn them off if you have an iphone (or at least the listening adds or talk about someone and their name won't be immediately pulled when you go to fb search for someone). It's under the microphone setting and there should be an on/off button for facebook, snapchat, and other aps that may use it.

Problem with snapchat is that turning off the microphone eliminates recording sounds so it limits the app use. Like I said just because you turn off them button idk if it really stops listening to you or if it's pretending to not listen by just not showing adds of things you talk about. The techy guy that showed me the on/off function said it's possible to turn off with iphone but not with android due to android having less privacy features.

Well these companies make money selling your information to advertisement. Now a days your information is a commodity. That is why Google can give you free email and webservers. They also scan emails for key words so they can advertise on you as you Google search something. For fun just say cat food constantly in front of your phone then open Facebook and I bet friskiest will be advertising on your page. It's all in the terms of agreements as soon as you sign up for apps.

Facebook does listen to you through your phone. Think snapchat does too, which is Google owned, and no telling what else. But you can turn them off if you have an iphone (or at least the listening adds or talk about someone and their name won't be immediately pulled when you go to fb search for someone). It's under the microphone setting and there should be an on/off button for facebook, snapchat, and other aps that may use it.

Problem with snapchat is that turning off the microphone eliminates recording sounds so it limits the app use. Like I said just because you turn off them button idk if it really stops listening to you or if it's pretending to not listen by just not showing adds of things you talk about. The techy guy that showed me the on/off function said it's possible to turn off with iphone but not with android due to android having less privacy features.

On mine: Settings -> Privacy -> microphone.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back