Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

F150 longevity

Just listing my experience thus far with a 2013 Ford F150 STX with the 5.0 liter V8

Just putting this out there for others to read. Interested in hearing how your trucks have lasted. Particularly this generation of 5.0 F-150s

Not sure if was already mentioned, but one friend has a theory which makes a lot of sense but not sure if ever researched.

He suggests that vehicles made during or the tail end of the Great Recession probably saw manufacturers looking to save pennies wherever they could, which leads to more repairs for some of those year. Not sure if it's a direct experience of this but Chevy went away from a proven CP3 fuel pump to the CP4 in my 2011 duramax, apparently to save money. The problem was that when something went wrong with the CP3 it'd simply stop working, but the CP4 grenades sending metal fragments throughout the entire fuel system. Ask me how I know ($$$$$)...

I'm not sure if other guys have seen such trends in the 2008-9 to 2014 model years, but it is an interesting theory.

s

Are you saying you have a million miles on a batch of American cars with only scheduled maintenance? If so that is great. However, I have never heard a fan of American vehicles not include the “except for that water pump at 14,000 miles, that compressor recall at 30,000 and that cv joint at 45,000 miles it was a great vehicle” qualifier.
Today's your lucky day. I have three Ford's in my garage and another scheduled to be built next month. I've never had a breakdown. Ever. I did replace a thermostat housing a year ago after I found a small drip on the garage floor. That's on a 17 year-old Explorer Sport Trac so I'll gladly pay the couple hundred bucks to replace it. It's the only time it's been in the shop, at least since I bought it with 106,000 miles on it.

My buddy with the Tacoma is the one with the qualifiers... the power window doesn't work, the driver seat is stuck in one position, it doesn't have the low-end torque to get to Hell's Kitchen when we go there to hunt deer so he has to ride with me, etc...

I sold my wife's old Focus to my brother, who sold it to his father-in-law for a commuter car. It's got over 500,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. He stopped by to see me just a few weeks ago and is still driving it.

On the other hand, my neighbor works at the local Toyota dealership and replaces rotted frames for a living.

I was looking at trading in my Tacoma for new one. Sales weasel offered me what I paid for my '98,$15k/w 36kmi. New one was twice what they once were.
Looked a week and found the 2001 F-150 offroad w 63k for $13k.Was looking for an older one actually.
Will just go thru Tacoma`as I see fit now. It still runs great.
Pricing for things is interesting. I paid 13.5k for a 2001 F150...in 2003 with 32k and a little warranty left. Sold it in 2017 IIRC with ~ 200k, pretty much only changed wear parts, clutch-starter-alternator-ball joints-u joints-breaks-tires-wind shield. 4x4 and extended cab, manual almost everything but it had cruise and AC.

It made it hard to buy a newer truck, as the value was never quite at that level again. Got over it eventually but apparently it took 14 years.

My bil is a big Ford F-150 fan and proud of it. A few years ago, him and his wife came to our place for Thanksgiving. We had a bunch of snow and asked him if he had chains because the last half mile of our road was drifted. He says yeah, no problem.
So, I end up towing him the last quarter mile with a dodge and as we were coming up the last hill to the house the 213,000-mile dodge starts missing. We get into the house, and I mentioned that the dodge was missing, and he says " you should have bought a Ford"

Uh, you check back in when that truck has 200,000 miles on it and we will see. He got there on the end of a rope, yet he was unfazed. Pretty standard.
Blind brand loyalty is like political blind loyalty. It ain't for me.
Too fun. Your bil must be incompetent as a driver, or forgot the chains. Any 4x4 will drive pretty much the same in snow, all things being equal (like tires and chains and driver competency).

Are we bailing out General Motors and Chrysler again during this recession? Will our superior leadership use the “too big to fail” argument again? Print another $19 trillion…

Have an '04 F150 that I can't kill and love it. Had an '04 Ranger that kept going until my daughter flipped it. I certainly won't only buy a FORD but had good luck so far... When that luck changes so will my vehicle preference...

I LOVE TRUCK AND CALIBER THREADS!!!!!

I love the longevity of the Tundras, but they are hard to find and at least around here unbelievably expensive. When I bought my Chevy in March, I searched for trucks that fit my criteria, there were about 15 GMs, 25 Fords, and exactly 1 Toyato that fit my search criteria and the price of that Toyota was so high, I felt like I could justify some non-warranty repairs by the savings on the Chevy purchase price.

Also, I may have broken the matrix. My plan going forward is buying certified pre-owned. Now I get 100,000/7 year warranties and will offload right around the expiration. Maybe this will work!

As my Tacoma beebops right by all the parked and stranded fullsize trucks that just flat can’t get to the places it will…
They just pulled over to avoid the Tacoma sized hole that HUNT TALK MAN dug for your truck. Beware! Clearly a trap!

Starting to think the APR is the only safe place we’ll have left in the Rockies with that guy on the prowl.

Last edited:
They just pulled over to avoid the Tacoma sized hole that HUNT TALK MAN dug for your truck. Beware! Clearly a trap!

Starting to think the APR is the only safe place we’ll have left in the Rockies with that guy on the prowl.
All in good fun lol. If we can’t talk smack about what truck, caliber, beer, liquor, boots, etc.is the best or worst, life would be a lot more boring.

All in good fun lol. If we can’t talk smack about what truck, caliber, beer, liquor, boots, etc.is the best or worst, life would be a lot more boring .
It’s all creating an identity crisis for me. I don’t shoot metric calibers, pretty much only drink Coors & Beam, wear beater old hats, but still love my ancient, reliable, and very capable Tacoma. I don’t even know who I am or what tribe I’m supposed to belong to anymore.

Had a 2012 F150. Couldn't get rid of that truck fast enough. That truck spent more time in the shop than probably all other vehichles I've owned combined.
Earlier I forgot about the old Ford Flare-side I had at the end of high school. 1994 model. My parents bought it for me brand new. Still not sure what they were thinking there…had a 4.0 grade point average until I got that truck but it was all downhill from there. That 300 straight 6 in that truck was unkillable, I know because I tried lol.

My first truck was a 1981 Ford F-250. My second that I also forgot about was an early 90’s Ford Ranger. My third was a 1983 F-250. Dang I had a lot of trucks in high school. The two F-250’s both came off of the fence line behind our old hay barn. Wore out farm trucks.

I’d pay a mint for that old 1983 with a 400 modified in it right now. Boy those were the days…

It’s all creating an identity crisis for me. I don’t shoot metric calibers, pretty much only drink Coors & Beam, wear beater old hats, but still love my ancient, reliable, and very capable Tacoma. I don’t even know who I am or what tribe I’m supposed to belong to anymore.
I feel that in my soul lol. I have given up trying to figure it out. I think I may be in a tribe all by myself….

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back