F150 longevity

I know it’s minor but I have trouble taking serious an off road truck that doesn’t have front tow hooks. If I recall, the new TRD was lacking those when it was first announced. Maybe still is?

Is it really an off-road truck without that?

I was in Costa Rica a couple months ago and that made me want a Hilux. Seems like we can’t have the good Toyotas here.
I'm more concerned about the problems with the Turbos and computer but, yeah that's a puzzling one. I think the statement from Toyota regarding the tow hooks was aerodynamics or something. Crazy not to even have it as an option. I looked under one of the 22's and I'm not even sure where they would put them. Any available real estate that exists would damage the bumper if you actually tried to use them. Maybe in the near future?

I always remind myself, a majority of the trucks these days are street queens. That's the customer base. So that represents most of the customer feedback. I don't know how many jacked up F250s I see on a daily basis with 20" wheels and 37" tires that are nothing but glorified man-card grocery getters with shiny new hitches and scratch free boxes. When that represents most of the customer demographics nationwide, it's hard to get the little things right for the people who need the truck to do truck things.

Just my opinion.

My favorite part of reading through these threads is reading how we all defend our truck of choice.

"got a 2014 and outside of replacing random sensors, nothing wrong with it"
"my 2018 was bullet proof except for a cracked manifold"
"blew up my engine at 24k, but the warranty service was awesome"

I am amazed at what we as consumers tolerate. Apparently a 5 year old truck that needs sensors, or a turbo replaced, or a new exhaust manifold before 150,000 miles has become our standard of "bullet proof." We need to all collectively vote with our pocket book and stop buying until we get something better. Unfortunately, we as consumers care more about 0-60 times and max towing than we do something that outlasts the payments.

I always remind myself, a majority of the trucks these days are street queens.
This what I was thinking... doesn't apply to mtgomer, but yeah my corolla has spent more time off road than 95% of tacos out there and made it to 255k before it needed anything more than an oil change. Hell I didn't even do the front wheel bearings till 260k and I've romped that poor thing all over MT and WY... had water poor in the doors half a dozen times...

Last edited:
I used to have a 96 Corolla. It’s reverse went out for a few years before magically popping itself back into working again.
I took that thing all over hell.
It was up to like 300k before it got rear ended and totaled.

That sucks to hear. In 2015 it was between the Tundra and the F-150 when I bought my 2013 Tundra. If I could stop hitting deer, I think it would still be worth what I bought it for 7 years ago.

I used to have a 96 Corolla. It’s reverse went out for a few years before magically popping itself back into working again.
I took that thing all over hell.
It was up to like 300k before it got rear ended and totaled.
Oh yeah they are self healing... like hydras. My tachometer when out for a while and then just fixed itself.

Well I'm just one data point, but I like my f150s just. This latest one with 130k on it might be perfect. 2.3 turbo hauls hay and horses and everything else.

I grew up on GM, but gave up on them decades ago.

The worst truck today is infinitely better than the best truck of 30 years ago. That said, Toyotas are the Suburu of pickups.

Edited to add that I just passed my first live Rivian. Sharp looking truck.

Oh yeah, add a :) to my comments about Toyos.

Last edited:
My 2001 F-150 offroad has been pretty good. 135k since the 63k when I got it. Cadillac offroad.
Took over the daily driver load on my 98' Tacoma w/350k.

Too soon?

I've had my 2004 f150 since it was new. It's been a pretty good truck, but not without it's issues. Motor rebuild at 190k. If it weren't for my kids coming up I probably wouldn't have done it.

They all have issues, just maintain it and hope you don't get a lemon.

i was a die hard ford guy till they kept making things cheaper and crapier,but charge more every year newer,,,went from a 79 ford f-250 tank,, to dodge cummins,,2 1997,s later and now i have a 2004.5 ram 2500,,i dont think i will need to buy another truck for a long long time,,i love my 5.9 dodge cummins,and wouldnt trade it for anything new on the market now.everything new is just crapola.

Had a 2003 F-150 go 175,000K before having major issues but with several less than major issues along the way. Other than that I no experience with anything newer than a 1984, which My son still has and is at 94,000 original miles.

The vehicle market, both new and used, is insane. My son is looking to buy a Tacoma. Was looking used and decided given the prices to just go new. Cannot find a new one on a lot anywhere within 300 miles.

My 2018 Tacoma that I bought used with less than 30k miles on it in early 2020 now blue books for 7,000 dollars more than I bought it for and has almost 60K miles on it. Insane.

Had a 2003 F-150 go 175,000K before having major issues but with several less than major issues along the way. Other than that I no experience with anything newer than a 1984, which My son still has and is at 94,000 original miles.

The vehicle market, both new and used, is insane. My son is looking to buy a Tacoma. Was looking used and decided given the prices to just go new. Cannot find a new one on a lot anywhere within 300 miles.

My 2018 Tacoma that I bought used with less than 30k miles on it in early 2020 now blue books for 7,000 dollars more than I bought it for and has almost 60K miles on it. Insane.
I was looking at trading in my Tacoma for new one. Sales weasel offered me what I paid for my '98,$15k/w 36kmi. New one was twice what they once were.
Looked a week and found the 2001 F-150 offroad w 63k for $13k.Was looking for an older one actually.
Will just go thru Tacoma`as I see fit now. It still runs great.

I have a 2017 F150 FX4 5.0 with 88,000. I haven't had a single issue with it. Had a 2011 F150 5.0 before it and the same thing, it ran great until a hail storm took it from me.

Got to know the service dept manager and the local Ford dealership, and he warned me off from the ecoboost. Said at 100k just plan on replacing the turbos, but the 5.0 is the one they see the least for any issues

I have an 08 with the 5.4, so not the same thing. Replaced first engine at 180. New engine is pushing 100k now. No transmission issues ever though.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back