F150 longevity

Got my first F150 last summer after tiring of waiting for Toyota to put better engine in the sequoia line.

Like I told there service guy yesterday - “yup this is why I haven’t bought a Ford in 30 years - I guess I needed a $65,000 reminder.”

All kinds of little crap going wrong on an expensive new vehicle and completely clueless service folks. Talk to three service techs about the same problem and get 5 answers, none of which actually fix the problem.

First time I see a Toyota that meets my needs I am out of the Ford family.
What service place are you going to? Given I’m probably pretty close to you, I’m just curious

What service place are you going to? Given I’m probably pretty close to you, I’m just curious
Two local ford dealerships and watching the cluster-f**** on the f150 users form. There are folks that are getting $70,000 trucks bricked for weeks when ford service tries to upgrade software.

Over the last 25 years my wife and I (incl cars for the teens) have had a Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, Acura MDX, 2 BMWs, a Volvo cx90, 2 Mazdas and a Toyota Sequoia. Across these 25 years, 9 vehicles and over a 1 million miles we have not had a single unscheduled maintenance (only oil changes, etc).

I have had the F150 for 10 months and 12,000 miles. Already 3 unscheduled service visits needed and still have a significant unresolved issue. Why anybody (including myself) buys GM, Ford or Chrysler is a mystery to me.

Last edited:
Two local ford dealerships and watching the cluster-f**** on the f150 users form. There are folks that are getting $70,000 trucks bricked for weeks when ford service tries to upgrade software.
My buddy had his Duramax at a dealer since Feb 2nd for some def issue. I gave him a ride to get it picked up yesterday. He got a lawyer involved to help apply some pressure given the truck was only a few months old. Damn shame.

My buddy had his Duramax at a dealer since Feb 2nd for some def issue. I gave him a ride to get it picked up yesterday. He got a lawyer involved to help apply some pressure given the truck was only a few months old. Damn shame.
We run into it constantly with our fleet of Chevy’s at work. They can’t get parts apparently.

Right now we have a Silverado with less than 20K miles that has been in the shop since Jan 31st because they can’t get the linkage to fix the “it won’t go in reverse” problem.

Over the last 25 years my wife and I (incl cars for the teens) have had a Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, Acura MDX, 2 BMWs, a Volvo cx90, 2 Mazdas and a Toyota Sequoia. Across these 25 years, 9 vehicles and over a 1 million miles we have not had a single unscheduled maintenance (only oil changes, etc).

I have had the F150 for 10 months and 12,000 miles. Already 3 unscheduled service visits needed and still have a significant unresolved issue. Why anybody (including myself) buys GM, Ford or Chrysler is a mystery to me.
Might be a surprise, but my American vehicles have treated me well. mtmuley

If I was an ambulance chaser I would definitely be suing Ford on behalf of thousands of screwed F150 buyers. They actually roll out software updates that permanent lock key control hardware that then needs to be physically replaced. How incompetent is that.

Might be a surprise, but my American vehicles have treated me well. mtmuley
Are you saying you have a million miles on a batch of American cars with only scheduled maintenance? If so that is great. However, I have never heard a fan of American vehicles not include the “except for that water pump at 14,000 miles, that compressor recall at 30,000 and that cv joint at 45,000 miles it was a great vehicle” qualifier.

Are you saying you have a million miles on a batch of American cars with only scheduled maintenance? If so that is great. However, I have never heard a fan of American vehicles not include the “except for that water pump at 14,000 miles, that compressor recall at 30,000 and that cv joint at 45,000 miles it was a great vehicle” qualifier.
I haven't owned 9 vehicles in my life. Haven't kept track of mileage on all of them. My last three trucks, I still currently own one of them, have gone 200,000 miles plus. They have all been used like Montana trucks. So, I'm over halfway to a million. mtmuley

I haven't owned 9 vehicles in my life. Haven't kept track of mileage on all of them. My last three trucks, I still currently own one of them, have gone 200,000 miles plus. They have all been used like Montana trucks. So, I'm over halfway to a million. mtmuley
Ok - poorly phrased by me. So, for the first 120,000 miles each on those 3 trucks how many “unscheduled maintenance” items have they had? Zero? If so, that is great.

Arent tundras one of the more "American made" trucks available?
In my experience, it is not the line employee’s country that matters, but rather than the management, leadership and engineering. I would rather have a Japanese designed and managed vehicle built by American workers than an American designed/managed vehicle built in Japan. I don’t blame American workers, I blame 3 failed corporations.

Arent tundras one of the more "American made" trucks available?
I have no idea. I know that I have had 3 Toyotas. Sold one to my uncle that had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it. It is now at 350,000 and still going strong. It is his everyday driver. I have one now with 300,000 miles on it currently. Still going strong. They get treated like trucks.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back