Exterior home painting price.

• Thread starter Deleted member 48080
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48080

Is there anybody in the know on what exterior house painting is costing these days?

Maybe someone here had one painted recently, or know if there's roughly a post-covid $/ft^2 I should be looking for?

Is there anybody in the know on what exterior house painting is costing these days?

Maybe someone here had one painted recently, or know if there's roughly a post-covid $/ft^2 I should be looking for?
Where are you located

Is it hips or gables? How many posts/beams? What is the condition of the existing paint? On what kind of siding? Are you in Bozeman or Wichita Kansas? Many factors

I’ve always painted my own. Growing up I would have to paint either the outside or interior rooms of the house whenever I got into fights and kicked out of school.

Man, I hate painting! Yet as an adult I’ve painted the outside of two of my houses and interiors several times……personal punishment I guess.

I know that doesn’t really answer your question. When we had our porch cover built a couple of years ago I opted to paint it myself as the price almost doubled to have the builders paint it.

Depends on:

-Labor only, or labor and material
-condition of existing paint/exterior
-paint method required/desired. (Sprayed, sprayed and back-rolled, rolled and brushed)

My recommendations:
-If you're staying in the house, get quality paint ($50+/gallon).
-don't spray only...minimum spray/backroll
-get three or four quotes

Good luck!

Quite a few years ago I called 4 different guys for bids only one of them even took the time to give me one. It was wasn’t far from what I could have put siding on it for. So I did it myself. It’s rough out there and I live in eastern Montana.

My brother got 4 quotes a couple years back first three all between 17 and 20k iirc. Fourth guy 10k. I tried to offer some advice but what do I know. Paint lasted less than a year and is falling off in sheets and everytime it rains the house looks like it has the mumps. Looks worse now than before. But he won't admit it or have it redone out of spite. When they were doing the work I told him these guys aren't prepping anything like they should be. His response was "these guys told me they're not hacks". Moral of the story shit is expensive and you get what you pay for. I hope your able to get it done right. Have you priced residing it?

Last edited:
Just had ours done in Bozeman. Had quotes from 5-8k. Pretty standard sub division house. Found a guy and his wife that do really good work and we’re right in the middle of that range.

Just had ours done in Bozeman. Had quotes from 5-8k. Pretty standard sub division house. Found a guy and his wife that do really good work and we’re right in the middle of that range.
That seems like a pretty solid deal. I painted my house last summer. Just the paint was $2k. I wouldn’t be super afraid of diy. Especially if no one will give you a reasonable quote. Buy a paint sprayer and some masking and call your buddies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WW2 Buff
Back