Experience with Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak Tent?

VikingsGuy

Does anybody have any first hand experience with a Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak? I am considering between this and a classic canvas wall tent for 4 guys hunting drive up BLM in WY & MT September through end of November.

I have a 12x14 5 ft side walls wall tent with interior frame. 5 inch. stove jack stakes and ropes. No holes, burns or mold. Its a Colorado wall tent made by Denver Tent. PM me if interested

It should be against the law to use them in Alaska. The 2x we have used them up there it was almost as wet inside the tent as outside. You are far better off buying a canvas wall tent with rain fly and stove.

We have one and love it. It held up to winds last year in Wyoming that I didn’t think any tent on earth could survive. We’ve had zero moisture problems even when we used it in July and got 4” of rain overnight.

They are okay, my buddy has one. I agree they condensate bad even with all the vents open. I prefer canvas tents much more. His has nearly blown over several times over the last few years where my kodiak right next to it takes the wind like it's nothing. They aren't a bad tent for the money but I would rather have a montana canvas big horn (I think that's the model).

My family use to run a Cabela's Bighorn which is constructed using the same material. That tent would collect condensation like nothing else. We now have two canvas tents from Davis Tent Co. Problem solved!

I've used my 12x12 four years Colo. early season archery and this year Mt. late season archery we also have a Mt. canvas wall tent and I don't think the canvas is as quiet or any better to heat and the Alaknak is easier to set up as for the wind if you set them up well I don't think you will have a lot of trouble with either. For archery season I would certainly take my Alaknak if only room for one.

004 small.jpg

I've used my 12X20 in every condition imaginable without incident. Some seem to have condensation problems and it appears to be related to using propane to heat. I use a wood stove, electric light and propane only for cooking and never had an issue. My 2 hunting buddies have both bought one after spending lots of nights in mine and one bought the 13X27. The 12X20 works for 4 with room for a cook space and table for eating.

I've experienced the condensation in an Alaknak. It is a trade off for having a tent body that weighs 38# instead of 50-60# from a canvas tent of the same size. You will run into that in any Synthetic roofed tent like the Relite Material Montana Canvas uses...Alaknak is going to cost you less than the MC Spike tent of the same 12x12 dimensions. You will see it in a Kifaru Tipi unless you get the liner. And pay more.

I think the Alaknak is a good entry level wall tent. Mine has seen only a few Snowy days or days below freezing. Most of its time has been early season and summer trips. Were I an outfitter I'd do the traditional Canvas wall tent but I'm not, so I make do. I would like to figure out how to make my own liner to catch the drips when they inevitably occur. Till then I just cover my bed when I fire up the stove in the morning.

Last edited:
Back