Evolving as a hunter over time

I wanted to let your post marinate a bit in my mind before responding.

I understand it, respect it. I have evolved some. I know for a while I was interested in more superficial aspects of hunting. As I've gotten a little older, I've become more thankful for the family time and sustainable meat for the table.

If I've shifted in goal orientation it's been away from "results" and towards "process." I just want to do things that make me a better hunter: smarter, tougher, more patient, cooler under pressure, more gracious, resourceful and dedicated, a better shooter, tracker and butcher. Care more about the skills I am gaining than the tag being punched or the antlers being a certain size. (Still care about those things too though.)

Good thread. I think I’m mixed up between the phases of hunter evolution, I’m into the methods only liking to bow hunt and doing it my own way, but I’m also hung up on trophy quality when it comes to shooting bucks, I can watch little guys all day long with zero temptation, but then again I’m also a limit filler when it comes to filling doe tags and stacking ducks. It really irks me when I’ve passed a doe for whatever reason and I watch as backstraps and burger walk away. I simply hate having unfilled doe tags!

. I haven't gotten one yet but I've been a bit picky. I want my dad to be there so I often times limit when I can go elk hunting to make sure he is there for it. .
:love:

In the spirit of this thread. I dont believe I have evolved. I remember my first bunny and how excited my grandfather was, and then my grandmother when she taught me how to cook it. My father, after he returned from the war, use to spend hours with me in the field quail hunting, but his reaction when I hit one is what I remember today

Then my husband, children, grandchildren--most of the "hunting" memories are---remember when we slept in that cave, remember when we got caught in that storm when spike camping, remember that float plane trip from hell, remember when the canoe overturned, remember that stupid mule I had to ride, etc., etc.--when on this hunt or that hunt. My families reaction to the hunt has always been special to me---as a child with my father and grandfather, then with my husband, children, grandchildren. And since it was then and still is today, I am not sure I have evolved.

I am also sure some here will definitely disagree with my second point. But I was a true believe in a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. So if the animal fit my criteria on the first day, I would shot him and take the meat to a local locker, or have someone do it for me ( yes even if I had to ride ( horse ) and/or fly ( float plane ) and then I would go back and enjoy hiking, fishing, exploring whatever beautiful part of the world we were in for the remainder of the days we had allocated for that hunt-----or----sometimes, we would take advantage of having finished the hunt early and explore another area we wanted to see, but we didn't go home ;)

One of the stories my daughter likes to tell is once when we were on a lion hunt, he ( the lion ) was literally at my feet when he finally expired and I said "are we having fun yet?" We took her on a 14 day Africa safari and THAT is what she remembers :)

Perhaps the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Great thread, and posts. I enjoyed reading them !

Yep, just fun to be out.
Is your Safari still "on" ? I sure hope, you and your lady will have so much fun !

I think every guy kinda goes through the stages of trying to do the things that we think impress our friends and chicks. So killing a trophy and being cool doing it was my priority in my teens and early 20’s. Getting married and having kids makes you realize you weren’t ever that impressive and you no longer have anyone to impress. For me now it’s 90% about the adventure and memories, 9% about filling the freezer, and 1% about impressing HTers on this forum.

My wife went elk hunting with me last year and we stayed on the mountain after it dumped 2’ of snow on us and was -19. I killed a tiny raghorn. We broke it down and packed to the truck together. It was probably the greatest hunting experience of my life. I’ve killed big bucks, antelope, upland birds coyotes, ect. That little 3x3 euro and the story with it just makes me smile everytime.

I’ve killed 3 deer since 2016, I think I killed 3-4 every year for 15 years before that. I just enjoy the experience now. Maybe I’m just lazy and don’t wanna do the processing.

I hunt for the experience. And it changes every time. When im with family or most friends. Who takes the shot does not matter so much. But I'm still hunting so I enjoy seeing animals. And suspect that can be a generalized feeling.
Looking at the question in another way. Evolving as a hunter over time. Modern hunting equipment n technology has entered into the game. More specialized hunting packages. It's big bucks.
For me. I've kinda resisted the GPS, I have one I don't know how to use. Like going light. And use my wife's synthetic stock n lightweight non rusting barrel, lighter.
Another evolution is the amount of respect others in the outdoors show each other. And take one make one is a very important issue for me. Building the bench by taking folks out and teaching them how to respect the outdoors and your fellow folks.
Don't mean to disrail your thread. Just looking at your question in a different way.
BTW thanks for all your contributions from a new guy

My experience is like many on here. When I was young I wanted to whack and stack them…anything. I slowly switched from birds to just about all deer. The trophy aspect held by so many deer hunters finally drove me crazy. The result was always about the score to the point the hunt itself didn’t matter. I started bird hunting more and find that so much more enjoyable. No one is asking me what my ducks score etc. I hunt out west as much as I can and find pleasure in a fun hunt with something representing of the species.

I am much more about the table fare now as well. I enjoy eating wild game and making a delicious meal shows respect for the animal.

In the spirit of this thread. I dont believe I have evolved. I remember my first bunny and how excited my grandfather was, and then my grandmother when she taught me how to cook it. My father, after he returned from the war, use to spend hours with me in the field quail hunting, but his reaction when I hit one is what I remember today

Then my husband, children, grandchildren--most of the "hunting" memories are---remember when we slept in that cave, remember when we got caught in that storm when spike camping, remember that float plane trip from hell, remember when the canoe overturned, remember that stupid mule I had to ride, etc., etc.--when on this hunt or that hunt. My families reaction to the hunt has always been special to me---as a child with my father and grandfather, then with my husband, children, grandchildren. And since it was then and still is today, I am not sure I have evolved.

I am also sure some here will definitely disagree with my second point. But I was a true believe in a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. So if the animal fit my criteria on the first day, I would shot him and take the meat to a local locker, or have someone do it for me ( yes even if I had to ride ( horse ) and/or fly ( float plane ) and then I would go back and enjoy hiking, fishing, exploring whatever beautiful part of the world we were in for the remainder of the days we had allocated for that hunt-----or----sometimes, we would take advantage of having finished the hunt early and explore another area we wanted to see, but we didn't go home ;)

One of the stories my daughter likes to tell is once when we were on a lion hunt, he ( the lion ) was literally at my feet when he finally expired and I said "are we having fun yet?" We took her on a 14 day Africa safari and THAT is what she remembers :)

Is your Safari still "on" ? I sure hope, you and your lady will have so much fun !
With every post you put up I grow more envious of the adventures you have lived and the stories you have to tell 🙏
For myself I have evolved into I dont know what. I love taking friends and family out and experiencing the wild. Hunting by myself these days just really doesn't bring out the quality experience I'm seeking. I still do it. I probably spent 30+ days by myself this year. After getting an elk tag that took 9 years to draw a couple years ago I'm not sure I'm up for putting that kind of pressure on myself anymore neither.

I tried to say pretty much the same thing in my post, but you can write so much better than me! Indeed, the bird in the hand saying isn’t just a cliche, it’s something I live by. This is a good thought provoking thread.

Right now it’s still on April. We left home December 1, been down to Cabo, and now working our way back north. We are camping just west of Vegas tonight. Will head over in a day or two for SCI. We will meet with our outfitters on 19th and 20th.
Our hunt is scheduled for ten full days but we will spend almost a month in Africa touring in conjunction with hunting.

Right now it’s still on April. We left home December 1, been down to Cabo, and now working our way back north. We are camping just west of Vegas tonight. Will head over in a day or two for SCI. We will meet with our outfitters on 19th and 20th.
Our hunt is scheduled for ten full days but we will spend almost a month in Africa touring in conjunction with hunting.
with apologizes to the op of this thread.

Love it !!!!! I am so glad you have not let Covid --keep you from living the dream. You have served your country on three different fronts, you have earned our respect and best wishes for a retirement filled with doing "whatever" works for you and that wonderful lady traveling with you. Cabo is a great place to fish, explore, or do nothing --well except possibly, bend the elbow from time to time ;) And the Africa trip ( hunting as well as sight seeing ) sounds wonderful. I wish you all the best !

and----thank you sir, for the kind words , very nice of you.

I tried to say pretty much the same thing in my post, but you can write so much better than me! Indeed, the bird in the hand saying isn’t just a cliche, it’s something I live by. This is a good thought provoking thread.
not sure about that sir, as I thought your post was very well written, but Thank you ! ( PM answered)

With every post you put up I grow more envious of the adventures you have lived and the stories you have to tell 🙏
For myself I have evolved into I dont know what. I love taking friends and family out and experiencing the wild. Hunting by myself these days just really doesn't bring out the quality experience I'm seeking. I still do it. I probably spent 30+ days by myself this year. After getting an elk tag that took 9 years to draw a couple years ago I'm not sure I'm up for putting that kind of pressure on myself anymore neither.
Thank you. One of the very few advantages of living until your "ancient" is the accumulation of real life experiences.
and your post also illustrates what many here have said. You illustrated both sides of the coin actually, as have others. Sometimes it is nice to be alone and sometimes it isn't-----and---everyone is different. Some prefer to be alone and that is o.k. I preferred to have someone to share the time afield with me, in real time AND for years later. But if a human is not available to go, take a dog. One like Rio would work. Also Salmonchaser has some very nice canine companions. And Noharleyyet has a pup, I might try to steal when I get to his home.;)

I sat through hunters ed with my 9yo son recently and thought this page would fit well with the discussion here.

View attachment 209343

Those stages are probably oversimplified for most of us. I know I could be all 5 in one season depending on what the outing is.

Hunting anything with a kid or new hunter? Stage 5

Super primo bull/buck tag? Stage 3

Short on hunting time and need to put a cow elk in the freezer? Stage 2

And so on

Last edited:
Put a shotgun in my hands for pheasants and I go right back to being a 12 year old though.
I bought an auto for a reason. Every covey flush is going to be 3 shots, fired as fast as possible.
Saw a bear this year during archery season and didn’t draw my bow. I just like to watch them.
I've not killed dozens more than I have. Sometimes it's hard for me to even think about killing a bear.

Those stages are probably oversimplified for most of us. I know I could be all 5 in one season depending on what the outing is.

Hunting anything with a kid or new hunter? Stage 5

Super primo bull/buck tag? Stage 3

Short on hunting time and need to put a cow elk in the freezer? Stage 2

And so on
Was thinking the same.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000