Yeti GOBOX Collection

Evolution Takes a Back Seat

ELKCHSR

It's about time....

Evolution Takes a Back Seat in U.S. Classes
By CORNELIA DEAN

Published: February 1, 2005

r. John Frandsen, a retired zoologist, was at a dinner for teachers in Birmingham, Ala., recently when he met a young woman who had just begun work as a biology teacher in a small school district in the state. Their conversation turned to evolution.

"She confided that she simply ignored evolution because she knew she'd get in trouble with the principal if word got about that she was teaching it," he recalled. "She told me other teachers were doing the same thing."

Though the teaching of evolution makes the news when officials propose, as they did in Georgia, that evolution disclaimers be affixed to science textbooks, or that creationism be taught along with evolution in biology classes, stories like the one Dr. Frandsen tells are more common.

In districts around the country, even when evolution is in the curriculum it may not be in the classroom, according to researchers who follow the issue.

Teaching guides and textbooks may meet the approval of biologists, but superintendents or principals discourage teachers from discussing it. Or teachers themselves avoid the topic, fearing protests from fundamentalists in their communities.

"The most common remark I've heard from teachers was that the chapter on evolution was assigned as reading but that virtually no discussion in class was taken," said Dr. John R. Christy, a climatologist at the University of Alabama at Huntsville, an evangelical Christian and a member of Alabama's curriculum review board who advocates the teaching of evolution. Teachers are afraid to raise the issue, he said in an e-mail message, and they are afraid to discuss the issue in public.

Dr. Frandsen, former chairman of the committee on science and public policy of the Alabama Academy of Science, said in an interview that this fear made it impossible to say precisely how many teachers avoid the topic.

"You're not going to hear about it," he said. "And for political reasons nobody will do a survey among randomly selected public school children and parents to ask just what is being taught in science classes."

But he said he believed the practice of avoiding the topic was widespread, particularly in districts where many people adhere to fundamentalist faiths.

"You can imagine how difficult it would be to teach evolution as the standards prescribe in ever so many little towns, not only in Alabama but in the rest of the South, the Midwest - all over," Dr. Frandsen said.

Dr. Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for Science Education, said she heard "all the time" from teachers who did not teach evolution "because it's just too much trouble."

"Or their principals tell them, 'We just don't have time to teach everything so let's leave out the things that will cause us problems,' " she said.

Sometimes, Dr. Scott said, parents will ask that their children be allowed to "opt out" of any discussion of evolution and principals lean on teachers to agree.

Even where evolution is taught, teachers may be hesitant to give it full weight. Ron Bier, a biology teacher at Oberlin High School in Oberlin, Ohio, said that evolution underlies many of the central ideas of biology and that it is crucial for students to understand it. But he avoids controversy, he said, by teaching it not as "a unit," but by introducing the concept here and there throughout the year. "I put out my little bits and pieces wherever I can," he said.

He noted that his high school, in a college town, has many students whose parents are professors who have no problem with the teaching of evolution. But many other students come from families that may not accept the idea, he said, "and that holds me back to some extent."

"I don't force things," Mr. Bier added. "I don't argue with students about it."

In this, he is typical of many science teachers, according to a report by the Fordham Foundation, which studies educational issues and backs programs like charter schools and vouchers.

I believe in God and the bible, but I don't think it is bad to teach evolution in school. I think they should have the right to learn it and determine for themselves what they believe.

Who knows, there might be something useful to learn about evolution. Evolution is not just Apes turning into ppl :)

Arrrggghhh. |oo |oo |oo I try my damndest to stay out of the political crap on this site but that just PISSES ME OFF! We pay our science teacher's to be freaking science teachers. By all means offer a history of christianity elective in high school if you want to but for crying out loud suggesting a science teacher not teach science is idiotic!

Scientific "facts" are proved incorrect or simply evolve a bit everyday. That never kept my science teacher from teaching me what a "Brontosaurus" was. (Look it up, they don't call them that anymore). So until someone comes up with a VIABLE, fact and science based alternative to evolution, that's what SCIENCE teachers should be teaching. :MAD

So says the Biology major. :rolleyes:

Yeah, what Mojave said.

Why do you think evolution should take a back seat, Elkchser?

Oak

these people in these collages are so brain washed on what they believe to be right and wrong

Oak and Mo, you guys (not gender specific) ;) have obviously been brain-washed by that there college edgey-cation. :rolleyes: :D

LOL...
You guy's...
I didn't read as much into this as you all have.
I see the pendulum swinging again where this topic is set back a bit and other forms of creation are brought back into the light of day again. I suppose as with every thing else the Government does, it will probably be regulated way to far in another direction and the middle ground where every thing is run thru more on an even keel will be ignored.
What I saw here was that one form of creation wasn't rammed down the kids throats with out any other equally valuable form taught.
I would also guess that when only one thing is pushed on a whole group and other alternatives dismissed outright, this is the backlash that happens. ;)

My opinion (FWIW) is that science teachers should be teaching SCIENCE. Theology is not science, and it is available free of charge every Sunday. It doesn't matter what one's religious beliefs are, they belong in church, and not in a science classroom.

Oak

I see it as a difference of how the world evolved and was created and since it is all still in the theory stage, and no actual proof has been demonstrated in any one theory, they should all still be left on the table.

When it comes to Science class, evolution should be taught in Biology sections, creationism in Anthropology (along with all the other cultural identity theories). Anthro is not generally what they teach at the high school level however, or at least not much of it. For that matter when you get to physical Anthro (i.e. skull structure) you are right back to evolutionism again.

Creationism has very few hard scientific facts backing the theory, therefore has no place in your standard basic science class where the scientific process is trying to be imparted to our children.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back