Evidence of sex question

Shyboomer

I understand evidence of sex has to be with the animal until it is taken to a processor. We plan on processing(cutting and vac sealing) our antelope and then putting them in our freezer for the trip back to Oregon. Once we process the animal, can we dispose of the head at that point or do we have to keep heads with us until we get home?

better safe than sorry

or if you haven't taken it to the processor yet, go look for a check station or see if the warden is available to check it off and mark your tag

Section 6. Retention of Evidence to Identify Sex, Species and Horn or Antler Development of Big Game Animal Harvested. Any person who takes any big game animal in a hunt area where the taking of either sex, species, or antler or horn development is controlled or prohibited by regulation shall comply with this section while said animal is in transportation from the site of the kill to the residence of the person taking the animal, or delivered to a processor for processing.

Keep it until you get home.

Ok, but to be clear, in Wyoming, you don't always have to keep the head if you keep the evidence of sex on the animal--so you could leave the visible sex organs attached, freeze the meat like you're planning, then remove it when you get home. (because as far as I know, Antelope are not one of the species in Wyoming where the antler size is restricted in any way--they're either a buck or a doe and that's that, doesn't matter how big of a buck)

See page 11, section (b).

I'm assuming in this that by "processing" when you say "cutting and vac sealing" you're just talking about field processing, meaning you could still leave the visible sex organs attached.

oh, yeah, i read that as taking to a processor

yeah just leave a chunk with organs still on it and process the rest

In Wyoming, it is illegal to take the head (unless brain matter removed and skull cap cleaned, spine or lymph nodes out of the State of Wyoming due to CWD issues. With antelope, you will get away with removing evidence of sex and that once it is processed. I have never saved that stuff once I butchered my critters.

Evidence of sex can be mammaries or testicles attached to a hindquarter or the head accompanying the quartered up parts. It does not have to be attached once the meat is fully processed and cut up.

One thing to add to all the above: I recommend that you keep your license available until the meat is fully consumed. Reason being is if a warden gets his or her rear end itching and suspect you of poaching or anything similar, they can confiscate the meat in your freezer in addition to any other evidence they might discover. So it's a good idea to keep your license around while you still have the meat. Reason I say this is I had to defend myself against it in Colorado in a hunter trespass incident in Colorado where the landowner said I was also poaching. I had to show a copy of my license about a month after hunting season.

Don't keep the heads giant hassle. Keep the sex organs in a bag with the bottom part of your tag and keep that with the processed animal in your cooler till you get home. Then you can dispose of the sex organs or try prairie oysters.

More than a good idea, it's actually required by law in most western states. Can't speak to the Midwest or east.

That is true. My dad taught me to keep the licences in the gun cabinet until the meat was fully consumed. It's the law in most western states. I have only hunted Colorado, Wyoming, Texas and California so can't vouch for sure on rest of the states.

Appreciate all of your feedback. I think we will keep an organ attached to a piece of the animal and cut and vac seal the rest that. Of course, we have to shoot one first!🙂

If your question is for Wyoming all you need to do is cut off the testicles or udder and put it in a zip lock bag and keep that bag with the meat. The evidence of sex does not have to be attached to a portion of meat (that regulation changes a number of years ago). Also, the carcass coupon should always remain with the meat. The carcass coupon is the portion of the license you detach before leaving the site of the kill and cut the entire month and date wedges out. Just making a slit through the wedge with your knife does not count.

If you process the meat in the field, just keep that evidence of sex bag with the meat on your trip home. It is a good idea to have the bag that contains the evidence of sex in a handy place (on top of the frozen meat) so you can easily access it when you stop at a game check station while in the field or on your way home.

This is the regulation for Wyoming, other states may differ.

ClearCreek

Ok, but to be clear, in Wyoming, you don't always have to keep the head if you keep the evidence of sex on the animal--so you could leave the visible sex organs attached, freeze the meat like you're planning, then remove it when you get home. (because as far as I know, Antelope are not one of the species in Wyoming where the antler size is restricted in any way--they're either a buck or a doe and that's that, doesn't matter how big of a buck)

See page 11, section (b).
What about a male fawn? A lot of tags are doe/fawn. Serious question that I don't know the answer to.

Cut off the udder or testicles and put them in a baggie in the cooler with the quarters.Taking some pics is also a good idea. Careful not to get any milk from the udder on your meat, cut clean around the outside margin of it and you're fine. It will peel right off.
Don't forget to take the small horns off your doe to save.

What about a male fawn? A lot of tags are doe/fawn. Serious question that I don't know the answer to.
We harvested a male fawn this year and decided to take the head so there was no question about proof of sex. When we got checked the warden laughed when we pulled the head out in a ziplock bag and when we said that testicles didn't prove it was a fawn he agreed that we had a point. He said well done on keeping everything together and sent us on our way.

Reactions: LCH
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back