Every person on Hunttalk should watch this.

As I said in another thread, it only takes one person to stop it.

I’ve known a couple of these people. One person can change the course of their life, for good or bad.

It’s like your adding a bunch of ingredients, the right ones and you get a cake, the wrong and you get a bomb.

Outstanding. Only part I might not agree with is him asking not to turn in someone to authorities. I do get his point on why, but I’m not sure I could live with myself if I took the “kindness” approach and something still happened. These are very complicated situations. Glad he could break out

It’s so hard to identify that line. Definitely if there’s an sort of threat it HAS to be reported.

i saw some comments in the other thread about how "not enough trouble makers get their ass kicked anymore."

"people don't get put in their place anymore"

makes you think twice.

The last thing that poor guy needed was an ass kicking… I struggle to remember that each person’s path is so unique.

Last edited:
i saw some comments in the other thread about how "not enough trouble makers get their ass kicked anymore."

"people don't get put in their place anymore"

makes you think twice.

I think the ones who usually need an ass-kicking are not the same ones that turn into school shooters, totally different types.

I think the ones who usually need an ass-kicking are not the same ones that turn into school shooters, totally different types.

i think the difficult part, and perhaps an implied point of the tedtalk, is sometimes that distinction can only be determined in hindsight.

i think the difficult part, and perhaps an implied point of the tedtalk, is sometimes that distinction can only be determined in hindsight.
Maybe. He was lucky to have a friend of high character that stood by him. I wonder why? Why didn’t others?

I wonder how many adults around him, told him to “pull up his bootstraps” without ever looking into that the poor guy was going through.

What was his situation lacking?

I grew up with parents on drugs and alcohol and got my ass kicked alot. My mother also was should I say religious and got my ass kicked by her if I caused a sin. When I grew up and moved out on my own I fell into the same addictions. Got married and had 2 kids. Then my wife had an affair and left me.. I went through some very dark times but I never in my life wanted to shoot up a school and kill innocent kids and teachers or whoever else might be there.

I grew up with parents on drugs and alcohol and got my ass kicked alot. My mother also was should I say religious and got my ass kicked by her if I caused a sin. When I grew up and moved out on my own I fell into the same addictions. Got married and had 2 kids. Then my wife had an affair and left me.. I went through some very dark times but I never in my life wanted to shoot up a school and kill innocent kids and teachers or whoever else might be there.

I respect your story and honesty, and can’t imagine what that’s like. Thank you for having the courage to share.

I think it’s what humans struggle with. There’s no consistent, simple and easy fix. It makes me think of a family I grew up around in Anaconda.

My friend was a middle child. His parents divorced when he was very young due to alcohol, drugs and violence. Dad continued to be an alcoholic and Mom was addicted to meth. He had 3 siblings. One spent loads of time in juvenile hall, another became addicted to meth, and another went to prison.

He had a 4.0, was our 2 year starting middle linebacker, won a pile of state weight lifting championships, and went to Montana Tech on grants and scholarship. He became a petroleum engineer, helped invent fracking, retired in his early 30’s, started an investment company, married, and became a pastor. He is gifted and driven.

Why was he successful and his siblings have struggled so hard? They have VERY different personalities.

I am no mental health expert, but my wife is. She was explaining to me that research is showing that a large portion of the shooters have personality disorders. I can’t remember which.

I do know the factors developing personality are heavily debated. More and more psychologists and child and adolescent development experts are leaning further into the belief that the majority is genetic. However, environment and especially epigenetics (environment shifting genetics) play a part, and different individuals are effected differently.

Maybe. He was lucky to have a friend of high character that stood by him. I wonder why? Why didn’t others?

I wonder how many adults around him, told him to “pull up his bootstraps” without ever looking into that the poor guy was going through.

What was his situation lacking?

i was kinda thinking you take a hypothetical three kids, an eventual school shooter, an eventual suicide victim, and a kid who eventually who just constantly get's into big trouble. under many circumstances you might have looked at each kid and thought that little punk just needs a good ass kicking to set him straight. but you only know which one ends up doing which horrible thing in hindsight when before said horrible thing they all seemed fairly similar.

a kid may go from troubled to a little punk trouble maker and you think that punk just needs to be set straight, when what he needed was a friend. he may not end up a school shooter without said friend, but... he might, you only could know in hindsight.

and i think that's why so rarely is there a friend that ends up standing by, cause those friends end up victims. he said in the video "i stole, lied, and cheated this guy (paraphrasing, whatever), i tried to push him away, like everybody, but he stayed and loved me"

how many of us start dumping friends as soon as we find out they lied to us for like the 5th time?

tough situation. obviously, as we know, the lesson here is we have no idea what people are going through or what could possibly be causing them to lash out and act out.

frankly, i just can't help but think of how the many examples of Jesus's behavior towards troubled people is so pertinent here.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back