Ever get robbed on a hunt or traveling to and from a hunt

88man

Burns me up just thinking about it. On the way home from the second elk hunt this year my truck was broken into in Rapid City SD at a motel. They broke the rear passenger window of the truck and stole our packs which had our headlamps and all our knives etc. Thank god we took the guns/optics/rack into the room.

Yeah he was in super deep and his stuff was tucked away in... guys must have been watching him with a spotter wait for him to start packing out his deer.

People suck.

Burns me up just thinking about it. On the way home from the second elk hunt this year my truck was broken into in Rapid City SD at a motel. They broke the rear passenger window of the truck and stole our packs which had our headlamps and all our knives etc. Thank god we took the guns/optics/rack into the room.

Sucks super bad. You don't have your truck plastered with all of the logos of the gear you own on the outside of your truck do you?

That really sucks. Can you file a claim on insurance? If my pack was stolen, its probably well over $1000 in gear.

Hearing stuff like this, I've taken to putting a game cam on my truck when I park. And if I'm at a hotel, I unload the whole thing, so I ask for ground level room.

I haven't, but a group of three hunters stopped in a strip club in Dallas on their way to Chama for an Elk hunt. When they came out of the Club, their truck was burglarized, and EVERYTHING was stolen. They had to re-supply at the Gander Mountain in Amarillo (guns, optics,-everything), and told their wives "It happened at our Hotel last night". They laughed about it around the campfire, but they had to dump a bundle to replace what they needed for the hunt.

Sucks super bad. You don't have your truck plastered with all of the logos of the gear you own on the outside of your truck do you?
Nope. However my atv was in the bed of the truck. Duffle bags of gear were in the backseat. 150qt cooler filled with meat was ratchet strapped to front rack on atv. Untouched thank god.

That really sucks. Can you file a claim on insurance? If my pack was stolen, its probably well over $1000 in gear.

Hearing stuff like this, I've taken to putting a game cam on my truck when I park. And if I'm at a hotel, I unload the whole thing, so I ask for ground level room.
1000 deductible, yup dam close to $1000 loss. My glass deductible was only $100 bucks

I haven't, but a group of three hunters stopped in a strip club in Dallas on their way to Chama for an Elk hunt. When they came out of the Club, their truck was burglarized, and EVERYTHING was stolen. They had to re-supply at the Gander Mountain in Amarillo (guns, optics,-everything), and told their wives "It happened at our Hotel last night". They laughed about it around the campfire, but they had to dump a bundle to replace what they needed for the hunt.
I gotcha. No what is crazy or what makes sense of it I guess is > we had like 3 hotels within eyesite of each other. My buddy wanted to stay at this one and it was the most costly of the three but he had rewards pts for that chain and said their breakfast is the best.

I gotcha. No what is crazy or what makes sense of it I guess is > we had like 3 hotels within eyesite of each other. My buddy wanted to stay at this one and it was the most costly of the three but he had rewards pts for that chain and said their breakfast is the best.
Damn reward points!! That sucks...and its weird they just grabbed certain things and left other things alone. Any cameras catch video at the hotel?

Damn reward points!! That sucks...and its weird they just grabbed certain things and left other things alone. Any cameras catch video at the hotel?
No cameras, I guess it could have been worse as my leica 1600 rangefinder was in the center console along with garmnin GPS. I would hate to think or admit to what all the clothing in the duffles would have cost to replace.

Had my backpack stolen out of the back of my truck while i was eating lunch at a restaurant in worland Wyoming the day before deer season opened. Had my rangefinder and GPS in there and a knife.

My pops had a model 38 Smith stolen from our 79 F100 while whiting fishing at Playlinda beach, circa late 80's. Fast forward 20 years, I had a model 97 that he gave me, stolen from my truck :mad::mad::mad:

I had a shotgun and a bag of duck hunting gear stolen from my truck. I missed the duck calls more than the gun as I assume they trashed the calls.

One of our guys parked his truck on a logging road off a county road back in a state forest and some A-holes broke the drivers side window and stole his Nat'l Guard Uniform, tools, other clothes, cut open his tonneau cover on the drivers side and other random stuff in the bed of the truck; on the passenger side of the bed was a brand new rifle in a case luckily they didn't see...

While fishing one evening on the Flathead River before we got back to the truck at last light from the boat, someone broke out the passenger door window and dented the door while doing so. Apparently standing just a few feet away throwing rocks at a door window tested their abilities because they missed the window and hit the door at least a couple of times with large rocks. Was lucky as not much was in the truck except my buddies wallet and keys. A year and a half later officers up in Polson were doing a probation/parole search on a guy and low and behold he still had my buddies wallet and keys. Did over $2000.00 damage though just getting in.

I try and take pictures of my things before I go someplace on a hunt and I have serial numbers on optics, scopes, range finders, and rifles. My insurance carrier also has all the serial numbers on my valuable hunting gear so that I can just call him and he can provide those for me. If you get your rifle, bow, or optics stolen, it's real important to have that information handy relatively quickly than later. LEO's can get items entered into the national and local data banks so if these items are pawned, they will show up immediately. I know pain in the ass right to do this, but it can help get things returned quickly and those responsible jammed up!!

My wife and I stopped outside of St. Louis at a motel on the way home from a Utah elk hunt. I unloaded our generator, started it, plugged it into the freezer in our cargo trailer, chained the generator to the axle, and locked up the truck and trailer. 5:00 Pm broad daylight. Went in to our room, had a beer, and headed across the parking to a restaurant. Walked over to the truck to check the generator. Driver's side rear window in the crew cab truck was smashed in. Two rifle cases open and thrown onto the pavement. Two Muzzle loaders and two centerfire rifles laying on the pavement. All the contents of our bags in the truck were tossed. The latch on the truck cap was busted, and all the contents of our gear there had been tossed. Items stolen : our passports, our Utah hunting licenses, my Canadian firearms license, a couple hundred dollars in Canadian money, my extra truck keys. Cop said it happens all the time. Crooks target out-of-state and rental vehicles. I asked why they didn't set out a decoy vehicle, and catch the a*%holes. He said they didn't have time. He then said, "This is East St. Louis you know. You have to expect these things". I'll not print my response to him as I am quite certain I would be banned from this forum.

I pulled my truck and trailer up under the motel entrance canopy. The night clerk moved his chair out there. I ran a cord from my freezer in to the lobby. We will never stopped in a big city again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back