£¥€k what have I done

I was mistaken. She has/had 3 preference points. 4 bonus. Either way, moving on for now. We'll keep buying bonus points in hopes to return in the future.

Thought about applying in MT for first time this year. Then…. nah. I’m sure to try someday but the cost and the current vibe is not creating the right desire right now for me. I’m sure I’d have a great time, but compared to other states it just hasn’t pushed the right buttons. I’m not at all saying I will be missed.

Went back and forth on whether or not to apply and ultimately decided against it, thereby forfeiting a PP.
Already have a low probability elk tag app out in another state and if we fail to draw that, we will opt for antelope and mule deer tags elsewhere, for a near certain draw, given the points we have.

I can't understand how people are excited to hunt MT. I can get a tag OTC every year and haven't wanted one for 5 years. Zero desire to hunt it. CO is a way better hunt. Bigger deer 10x more elk. I just don't understand the allure.

Hope that helps, but I'm being serious.

If it wasn’t thrown in on the big game combo with bear I wouldn’t even get a deer tag. But it’s cheaper to buy it all together in the combo than individually and skip the deer so I end up with a piece of toilet paper every year

I can't understand how people are excited to hunt MT. I can get a tag OTC every year and haven't wanted one for 5 years. Zero desire to hunt it. CO is a way better hunt. Bigger deer 10x more elk. I just don't understand the allure.

Hope that helps, but I'm being serious.
I hunt both…. It’s not always about big uns.

I hate the front range, I hate the traffic, I hate the development.

Give me the hi-line over I-25 every single time.

Plus… the birds.

Last edited:
I hunt both…. It’s not always about big uns.

I hate the front range, I hate the traffic, I hate the development.

Give me the hi-line over I-25 every single time.

Plus… the birds.
The Hi-Line is a shell of its former self. It used to be one of the best kept secrets in MT, until the rest of the state starting going down the drain and people figured it out.

I just can't find much to get excited about about hunting in MT anymore. Finding solitude is challenging. I have an image in my mind of what it used to be, and what I experienced and want no part in the circus that is there today. Sure its more than killing big animals, its the idea that they even exist, which that idea has long since vanished.

Applied for nonresident MT BG Combo with 2 points.
Please convince me this is a terrible idea and I should get an 80% refund and do WY deer with 5 points and CO elk with 5 instead.
If you’re in a similar boat given just how shitty Montana has treated us nonresidents feel free to sympathize

View attachment 217715
I know not what Montana used to be, I only know what I found here compared to the several other states I have hunted. I have found Elk 2 years ago my first time here so I'm going to come back if I draw in spite of the long ride, the high cost of a tag and lots of Skepticism by some. I don't think you made a bad call. Some who say Montana has changed are probably right but it's not just Montana that has changed, it's pretty much that every where you go has. But there are still Elk to be found and it's still called hunting as it always was. If a person just started Elk hunting today they can't care what elk hunting used to be and we have to look at it that way, we have to deal with it as it is now, it's just reality.

I applied with 3 PP as a NR. Expect to get a General tag, hunt it, and then be done with MT all-together. I can draw CO elk and deer every year as a resident which will keep me more than busy enough every fall.

I applied with 3 PP as a NR. Expect to get a General tag, hunt it, and then be done with MT all-together. I can draw CO elk and deer every year as a resident which will keep me more than busy enough every fall.
You definitely should draw a general tag. With one point, I wish I could say the same. I'm at best a longshot for drawing this year but I should have a fairly good shot at it next year with 2 points. I'm considering Utah this year or maybe just hunt deer locally in NC. I would like to get into some Hog hunting too maybe somewhere in the south. I bought a 6.5 Grendel AR this year just for that purpose and to Coyote hunt. I really, really like that little round. Very Accurate, economical to load and quite deadly. I'm getting 2900 FPS with my 16" barrel with 92 gn hammers. I have a 20" Grendel upper also but I use 97 gn hammers with it at 2950 FPS.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back