Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Eulogy for a Duck Dynasty

For sure, other than that I've pretty much only had good experiences meeting other hunters in the field. I think the limited spots and logistics, makes tempers flare... although it does make me curious about what it's like to hunt public lands in Arkansas or Mississippi for ducks.

You should check out the Utah duckhunters page. They make it sound like hunting the GSL is akin to a nascar race.

Ducks, like elk, make people do stupid things, apparently.

There's so many dang groups, clubs, and organizations in this day and age and there was when I was growing up. I noted in the article that there was mention of a "Flyway Federation" that just got going.....in the long run, how much of an effect will its existence have on DU?

I grew up in the 70's and 80's........
Back then......in high school, boys at my school had football, basketball, wrestling, track, and baseball. My kids' school adds lacrosse, hockey, soccer, ski club, and cross country to the list.

Back then....the NRA was the only gun-rights group I'd heard of nationally....add that GOA, 2A Alliance, JPFO, Students for Concealed Carry, 2A Foundation, NSSF

Back then.....Ducks Unlimited....add (on my radar at least) TRCP, REMF, Mule Deer Foundation, Quail Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, NWTF, Sportsmens Alliance, QDMA, SCI, FNAWS, Boone & Crockett Club, Ruffed Grouse Society

Back then.......NRA High-Power, Trap and Skeet, PPC....now....2-gun and 3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, PRS, silhouette and all its spin-offs, cowboy action, sporting clays, F-class, BPCR, extreme long-range (mile and beyond), LRTR

Back then...hunter ed class....now...... a class for everything gun-related known to man. I myself have participated in long-range tactical, combat rifle, combat pistol, combat shotgun and multiples thereof.....places like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Front Sight, SIG Academy, Magpul's academy, etc weren't around back then. If you wanted that type of training you joined the Army.

I'd never even heard of a skate park when I was growing up....now, in my valley alone I can think of 5 off the top of my head (one is nationally known). I'd never heard of a bike park while growing up. Now, in my valley alone, we have two...one I'm convinced is being built to host national level competitions. We also have a walk/hike/bike trail system that is second to none.

For every alphabet organization I listed above, put a dollar value on a membership and add in the cost of one "event" (banquet, shooting match, donation, uniform/equipment) within that organization.......

Add on work, wife, kids, extended family (who live three states away), house, church, other volunteer efforts...not to mention hobbies that aren't specific to hunting (fishing for one, and all its expense and clubs and organizations, etc).......its no wonder clubs like MN Waterfowl Ass'n are drying up and volunteerism is being spread thin.

For sure, other than that I've pretty much only had good experiences meeting other hunters in the field. I think the limited spots and logistics, makes tempers flare... although it does make me curious about what it's like to hunt public lands in Arkansas or Mississippi for ducks.

For me, it has always been the mushroom hunters that wanted to draw blood.

You should check out the Utah duckhunters page. They make it sound like hunting the GSL is akin to a nascar race.

Ducks, like elk, make people do stupid things, apparently.

... try hunting Walden, CO... I bet like 10% of all the shots taken in CO on ducks for the entire season happen there in the first 5 min of legal shooting light on day 1. Seriously I bet 500+ ducks die before sunrise... absolutely insane.

I wounder if part of the issue is expectation about a hunt, i.e. elk hunters kinda expect not to kill an elk the majority of the days they spend in the woods, so if newbie screw up something... whatever. But duck hunters have this expectation that they will get a limit or at least kill birds every day they are out there, so if your rookie move messes up that one morning of hunting it's the end of the world.

Clearly I have a weird chip on my shoulder about it... I'm going to nurse this la croix and cry into my snowflake shaped pillow until I feel better about everything.

After reading my post I realize that I kinda swerved out a little by bringing the skate and bike parks into the convo. Parts of this thread were bringing the youth discussion into the mix and I was trying to illustrate the "distractions" that young people have in this day and age. Its not all about social media, video games and phones pulling kids away from fishing and hunting, its all the rest of the various forms of entertainment that weren't around back when I was a kid.

Some people have so much wrapped up in waterfowl gear between boats blinds and decoys. I'm guessing there are those that feel like they have so much invested that they better have success? Probably dont do a whole lot of scouting and when they cant park thier boait in thier spot just lose it.

My favorite way to hunt public is in a kayak with maybe 3 or 4 dekes. You can get back into the creaks and shallower flats where the boats cant and when all of th hunters keep the birds off the mai. Body and into the edges and channels you can paddle though.

... try hunting Walden, CO... I bet like 10% of all the shots taken in CO on ducks for the entire season happen there in the first 5 min of legal shooting light on day 1. Seriously I bet 500+ ducks die before sunrise... absolutely insane.

I wounder if part of the issue is expectation about a hunt, i.e. elk hunters kinda expect not to kill an elk the majority of the days they spend in the woods, so if newbie screw up something... whatever. But duck hunters have this expectation that they will get a limit or at least kill birds every day they are out there, so if your rookie move messes up that one morning of hunting it's the end of the world.

Clearly I have a weird chip on my shoulder about it... I'm going to nurse this la croix and cry into my snowflake shaped pillow until I feel better about everything.

I fell you bro. Let's hit up the oxygen bar later and grab some claws while we skip leg day.

The internet kills clubs. That's where these discussions used to take place, rather than an internet forum.

I also think a lot of local clubs devolve into elitist groups. Mentoring is not strong in hunting. A lot of these groups formed and unless you were part of the "in crowd" they weren't real welcoming. Sure they'd take your $$$ but you didn't get that social aspect referred to in the article.

Some people have so much wrapped up in waterfowl gear between boats blinds and decoys. I'm guessing there are those that feel like they have so much invested that they better have success? Probably dont do a whole lot of scouting and when they cant park thier boait in thier spot just lose it.

My favorite way to hunt public is in a kayak with maybe 3 or 4 dekes. You can get back into the creaks and shallower flats where the boats cant and when all of th hunters keep the birds off the mai. Body and into the edges and channels you can paddle though.

I've been a silent member of the Kayak hunting FB group for years now. All the good days I've had duck hunting have been out of a canoe.

Not meant to be a slight, and did not intend for it to come off that way, rather a factual observation. For some reason(s) folks are less giving with their time now than in the years when Rod and Gun Clubs, Fraternal Orgs, Fire Depts, etc, were filled with more people. Not directed particularly at any group or passive conservation org member, but if folks want Rod and Gun clubs to proliferate, people will have to give their time. That will run against national trends for many types of groups requiring volunteerism for those groups to function.
I understand your position within your first post and that of other(s) though it's a wide collection to generalize. I believe there is a quality with those who share their worked money with organizations... not to be discounted due to their means of time spent outside work not fitting with others opinion of how they *should use their time. Many are involved in various activities that those groups of people *could gripe about hunting groups not spending enough time with children via school athletics, Scouts, speech, foster parenting, etc... I understand your position on it and I believe it was hit on earlier - Internet "social" world has played havoc with the "older days of" getting together, etc.

For those noobs not in the know. These old-timey groups can be a great place to get intel on a honey hole that a retiree hasn't been to in two decades. I've shoot several limits of chukar and have seen some great elk in some of the places the other board members of our club have told me about. Now their deer spots have been total bust. Apparently in the 80s you could shoot high country mule deer f-in' everywhere./

Last edited:
As a lifelong public land duck hunter in several states I can attest to the temporary psychosis that duck hunters get from time to time. Been on the receiving end of more than I can remember and probably gone crazy myself a time or two. Worst state by far is Arkansas in the public timber!

I cant take step in the woods in So Colorado without bumping grouse. They dont even fly far. Of course, it's always when I'm looking for other animals. Maybe it's harder when you're actually trying to kill them but seems like it would be a fun group event.

Our local BHA isn't super active and that's a shame. The local DU stuff is largely monied fratty types (no offense but you know what I'm talking about).

What about just hanging a list of hunters looking for a small game partner on the wall of the range. Or just a few social events where new guys can meet some veterans giving both groups a chance to meet in person and see if they want to take that guy or gal out for a hunt.
Jesus wllm, that's bad.
Agreed... CO is a pretty dry place so most waterfowl spots are either on private or heavily regulated, i.e. you have to make reservations for specific blinds weeks or months in advance on a first come first served basis... tons of rules and regs etc. I mean I think from my various hunt recaps it's pretty clear I'm not afraid of complicated hunts, but after a season of trying to make a waterfowl spot happen in CO I just said screw it, not worth the time or effort, especially just to get to a packed lot with a bunch of jerks peppering me with shot and screaming at me in the parking lot for doing whatever wrong... simply because I'm new to the sport.

I've had guns pulled on me twice in my life both times were duck hunting, once because I accidentally bumbled into a guys spot in CO (not opening day) the other was floating in Bozeman, we were at the take out and two guys in a drift boat had gotten on the river an hour after me, were pissed that I "stole their spot" and after leveling his gun at me the guy in the front of the boat told me if he saw me on the river again he was going to take the safety off.

So yeah my impression is the waterfowlers are a bunch of psychotic jerks, especially after meeting loads of amazingly generous deer and elk hunters who have helped me with spots, and offered to help me pack out critters. I even showed up in a elk hunting spot a guy had been hunting for decades, and instead of being pissed I was in his spot he offered me a seat at his fire that night and cooked me dinner.
Jesus wllm, that's crazy. I've never seen anything like that but I usually avoid the crowded areas. We're not all crazy, drop me a line if you are in montana, I can probably line up a field hunt for geese.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back