MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ethics of removing tree stands from public land

While walk my dogs along our dirt road a battered small pickup truck slowed alongside me and a young doofas angrily tells me something to the effect he's going to tear down my tree stand that's on public land! Just because I love along this road doesn't entitle me to place stands on public land he can access from our area.

I smiled, gave a bit more space and continued on with my dogs, He hasn't gotten enough off his chest apparently because he continued driving slow and yelled, "you hear me?!?!"

I simply replied, "I heard you". Smiled and continued. Apparently, that just rolled his blood and he yelled out that because of my private ass ownership he was going back at that moment to tear it down.

It was rather surreal how worked up he became.

Watch him spin around and off he went.

Outside that, I don't hunt from stands though came across one over a nice wallow I thought I had all to my selfish self, on public land. Damn fargon flipping public land hunters! This is MY spot!

I left a note saying get the hell out of my honey hole, you fktard!

I didn't but internally I knew to be extra vigilant when determining if a bugle is human or not. That fktard!

Shared with some humor...

You can’t believe how many trucks I’ve gotten over the years after someone abandoned them in a parking lot with the keys still in them. I have found out it is better to just leave the truck if it is a Ford Diesel…
I’ve been leaving my keys in my truck for years to get someone to take my POS and not a single person has been considerate enough.

I’m interested to hear others opinions on this. Here in Michigan, after a certain date, they are considered litter. I just took a walk and found 3 ladder stands and 2 climbing sticks. No names on any of them which is also illegal. A couple have been there a while but most are from this past season. What’s everyone’s thoughts on pulling stands like this? I have mixed feelings about pulling them down. My biggest driver is just to keep from killing the tree.
Sounds like they have gone from tree stands to free stands

What is really odd is that many of these abandoned stands and cameras are padlocked to the trees. If they are so valuable, then why spend the money on the cables and locks?
Here are three stands within spitting distance of each other on public land, MA has removal laws as well. Red and Yellow are completely rusted to pieces and have had their ladders cut away but the seats remain as they are chained to the tree. Pretty obviously they have been there decades. The chain of the yellow stand has had the tree grow around it.

I wonder if the these all belong to the same dude, he loses the key and then after they become unsafe he just drags in a new one.

1710340094513.png

1710340109637.png

Same story with this one...

1710340267359.png

Hunted this spot a bunch and marked all the stands I found. Hunted here a ton and never saw a hunter in a stand or going to/from any of them. I still hunted the area.
1710340352155.png

I’ve been hiking recently and have found tons of stands on public here in NY. I think guys leave them up trying to claim the spot. It’s annoying because they are usually in good spots. I have no problem setting my stand up near theirs if it’s a worthwhile spot. I always take mine down at the end of the season. It’s the right thing to do

For me , I leave my hands off things that aren't mine. Although I agree it sucks people leave that trash for someone else to have deal with. I wouldn't think ill of someone who decided to pull a old stand down.
I hunted in a federal forest for 20 years. There was a lock on stand in a tree 20 yards from where I set against a tree on the ground. There was no way to climb up to it.
I never saw any sign anyone ever used the stand those 20 years. As far I know its still hanging there. Im sure it wasn't doing the tree any good but the tree was still alive five years ago.

Alas, there is a difference between ethics and legality.

Here in PA, the Game Commision lets you put up a stand 2 weeks before season. You have to take it down 1 week after season ends.

You also are required to put your personal information, or your hunting license number, on it where they can read from the ground.

This is only on state game lands, controlled by the Game Commision.

Parks and State Forest lands are controlled by a different agency (DCNR) and don't have those rules.

This is only on state game lands, controlled by the Game Commision.

Parks and State Forest lands are controlled by a different agency (DCNR) and don't have those rules.
DCNR has the same 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after laws but marking them isn't required

DCNR has the same 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after laws but marking them isn't required
Really???
The DCNR told me they didn't when I reported several ladder stands that have been in place for at least 5 years now.

Game Commission wouldn't touch them as they aren't on Game Commision property.

Really???
The DCNR told me they didn't when I reported several ladder stands that have been in place for at least 5 years now.

Game Commission wouldn't touch them as they aren't on Game Commision property.

Interesting. Must be regional. I've never heard of the DNR removing so much as even 1 illegal deer stand, much less auctioning them off.
I think its been moved online only. They usually have a press release on the website but I don’t see this years yet. I don’t know about at other areas but a Yellow River State Forest they have a garage bay full of tree stands. They are good about taking them down. I’ve called about tree stands along our fence on multiple occasions and they are down within a week.

Interesting. Must be regional. I've never heard of the DNR removing so much as even 1 illegal deer stand, much less auctioning them off.
A friend who used to live along side of the public land west of Madrid and before the DSM river said the DNR would cut the tree down. Never said if they took the tree stand or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back