PEAX Equipment

Tree Saddles. Thoughts, Tips, Stories?

MinnesotaHunter

So I do most of my whitetail hunting in the big woods of North Central MN. The deer density is lower, lots of predators, and no agriculture food sources. This ends up meaning that you need to be mobile, and requires constant scouting to find the active food sources the deer are using, and bedding near. There is also good options to get into isolated areas to hike into, to try and target more mature bucks. I also hunt primarily state/national forest, so I am leery about leaving stands up.

All of this has led me to look into tree saddles as a more mobile/packable option as this fall has progressed. I have watched plenty of videos on the topic from people sponsored by one saddle company or another. I am hoping some folks on here might have some unvarnished opinions on using these. I would also love to hear any tips/tricks/etc if you have them.

I am looking at the Tethrd Phantom kit, and their platform. I have some climbing sticks already.

Thanks!

Go for i dont believe you will regret it. My uncle hunted in treesstands is whole life and now he bough a saddle last year and says he absolutely loves it. Says its more comfortable and of course more efficient in more places. I dont think you would regret getting one.

I bought a Tetherd Menace and a Predator XL last year and hunted out of it in the beginning of this season. I got pretty dialed in with it and killed a doe out of it. I loved how light weight and easy it was to get set up, but I was having trouble setting up for my strong side and having a clear shot opportunity. I ended up selling it and decided to use my lone wolf climber instead.

After one hunt with the climber I severely regretted selling the saddle. The climber is loud, heavy and I can never find a tree exactly where I want it. I actually re-bought all of the saddle gear because it was so much nicer to hike with and get set up with. I pretty much go to a new spot every sit until I get in a good area or find what I’m looking for. For this application, which seems like what you are describing, the saddle and sticks really shine.

It has its pros and cons. Pretty lightweight, you can get in pretty much any tree, and my setup was dead quiet and quicker. It was pretty comfortable but my feet tended to get sore and after a while I’d be uncomfortable.

I think they are a great tool, but I’m not sure how I would use it when it’s really cold with bulky clothes.

I say buy it and try it out, I sold my stuff on marketplace in a few days for pretty much what I paid.

I currently use a stand and sticks but had the chance to try two different saddles.

I’ll be ordering one once season is over. The weight difference is nice. Perfect for not knowing where you want to be that day. I’m still not sure if I could spend a day sit in one but for those morning/evening sits it will excel!

The only thing I highly recommend is really research the saddles, they don’t fit the same and are different styles. Tethrd seems to be the biggest name brand but I couldn’t get it adjusted to be comfortable. The latitude method was more comfortable for me and there was no metal so it was super quiet. I’m hoping to track down somebody with a cruzr to try before making my decision.

I am using one for the first time this season. I don't know if I will move completely away from climbers and hang on stands but I sure do like the lack of bulk and weight that the saddle brings. I should have no issue packing the saddle, platform, and sticks along with a quartered deer. I never figured out a way to do that with my climbers or hang on stands.

So far I like the comfort of mine just fine. I think as I get more time and some shot opportunities out of it I will like it more and more.

I bought a Hawk saddle first and the saddle itself was fine but the ropes and carabiners were junk. I was not trusting my life to it. I went with the Tethrd Phantom and it fits me great. You may have to try a couple until you find the right one for you.

I’ve thought about this before.
You’re gonna tell me the linemen’s belt is riskier than the lone wolf hand climber?
I’m pretty sure the love wolf works on the same principal as the belt but is like 100 times sketchier.
I was saying rope only. No climbing sticks. Definitely doable and the ultimate for light weight and mobile. As well as getting into trees that sticks may not be ideal for.

I sent @wllm1313 a few videos about how to do it safely. Going to try and put something together this winter for a write up. General rule is start low and slow to perfect the techniques and get familiar with your gear before you get 20 feet in the air.

I use a saddle almost exclusively. Hunting public land, it’s really the best option as far as packing in and out every sit. My entire setup fits in a backpack, so I don’t have to worry about scraping brush and whatnot. I’d recommend it. Here’s what I’ve found.

I had a mantis, and am a decent sized guy. 6’2”, 235 or so. I struggled to get comfortable with it. I tried swapping the fixed bridge out for an adjustable, but still not great. I ended up selling that, and going with a two panel sling style. I have a Treehopper recon, but the ESS is similar. Night and day difference! It’s now super comfy.

I had a predator platform, and sold that wanting something smaller. First two hunts off the small platform, and I had sellers remorse. I repurchased a predator. My size 13 feet just prefer a bigger platform, and the predator is good size but still easily packable.

Shooting takes some getting used to, but if you practice from it it’ll be no problem.

I say go for it. Worst case scenario, you end up selling it for about what you paid for it. They all hold their value well from what I’ve seen.

Like using tree spikes and a lineman's rope?
img_0148_gnjpg.jpg

My current setup is with prusik knots instead of ascenders as they are light and quiet.

Definitely slow.... but it's like under 20ft of climbing so whatever

Last edited:
I was saying rope only. No climbing sticks. Definitely doable and the ultimate for light weight and mobile. As well as getting into trees that sticks may not be ideal for.

I sent @wllm1313 a few videos about how to do it safely. Going to try and put something together this winter for a write up. General rule is start low and slow to perfect the techniques and get familiar with your gear before you get 20 feet in the air.
The hand climber doesn’t use sticks.
It has a belt that goes around the tree and spikes or teeth cut into the jaws of the stand where it contacts the tree.
And then you use the stand to climb

I’m looking forward to the write up.
I had a squirrel die in a hole in a tree too high for me to bear hug up to it recently and I need a safer retrieval technique for those situations.

img_0148_gnjpg.jpg

My current setup is with prusik knots instead of ascenders as they are light and quiet.

Definitely slow.... but it's like under 20ft of climbing so whatever
So you’re hanging from an individual branch away from the trunk of the tree from just the rope?

How do you get the rope anchored up in the tree? Grappeling hook?
You lob a weight over a branch or crotch in a tree with a throw line attached. You then use the throw line to pull your rope over the branch.

Then you connect the end of the rope to your harness via a carabiner, then you attach a prusik via a carabiner on the side of the rope going up the tree.

Now you are attached securely to the tree via the rope. To move up you use either another prusik attached to a step or an ascender attached to a step.

You put your weight on the step move your waist prusik up, then you move your step up, then weight on the step, waist prusik up.

Once you get to the desired height, pull your sling out and attach it to the tree and sit. Your still in your harness so you have fall protection.

To descend you pull rope from below you into a belay device. Then step on the step and unclip the prusik from your harness.

At least this is my theory so far… haven’t done a ton of field testing yet.

But nothing in the tree, you can use just about any tree you want, and you’re always tied in.

1636064546466.gif

Last edited:
Back