Caribou Gear

Essential Poll

Favorite Style of Beer

• Old School American Pale Lagers and Pilsners (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.)

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Blond Ales

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • IPAs

Votes: 52 25.7%
  • Lagers

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Amber Ales

Votes: 35 17.3%
  • English Bitters

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Porters

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Stouts

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Dark Ales

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • Specialty Pilsners

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters
A Canadian issue ice cold Labatt Blue while floating around on an Ontario lake with my walleye jigging rod in hand. Or perhaps the same Labatt Blue while enjoying a shore lunch.
This or a Molson!

'Overrated' as in both varieties of Pliny are probably not the best beers in the world - but they are both delicious. I was on a project in Marin a few years ago and we drove up to RR every wednesday night. If you're a sour person - that's a pilgrimage you need to make for any of their "XXXXX-tion" beers. Taplist: https://russianriverbrewing.com/santa-rosa-beers/

My 'Desert Island Beer' is Orval - preferably aged 6-18 months so the Brettanomyces can do it's thing a little. Saison Dupont would be a close second. Yes, in my extreme beer-nerdiness days, we had this debate at great length :)

Quick look at the beer fridge right now shows a lot of Outer Range hazy IPA's, what's left of Sierra Nevada Celebration 2019, a handful of randoms from our new years excurion down to NM, and a lot of Oskar Blues 'One-y' (slightly hazy, 4% abv session NEIPA - I also know the head brewer and others there very well so am a little partial to OB - but this one is a godsend in the session IPA space).

I enjoy RR, but I'm not into the hype around double IPAs IMHO they just taste like a shit ton of hops and aren't particularly complex... I'm not particularly blown away by heady topper either. Don't get me wrong I like IPAs, I'm just not going to proffer a pint of Pliny the Younger or Heady as "the best" beer in the world.

OB is a 5 min walk from work, I'm definitely a fan, though my favorite watering hole in the Denver area is Goed Zuur.

aren't particularly complex
Okay, now we have a problem.

giphy.gif

I enjoy RR, but I'm not into the hype around double IPAs IMHO they just taste like a shit ton of hops and aren't particularly complex... I'm not particularly blown away by heady topper either. Don't get me wrong I like IPAs, I'm just not going to proffer a pint of Pliny the Younger or Heady as "the best" beer in the world.
I'm with you on this - although I'd say many DIPA's taste like a 'sugary-sweet-boozy shit ton of hops'

OB is a 5 min walk from work, I'm definitely a fan, though my favorite watering hole in the Denver area is Goed Zuur.

As would be expected by a sour-lover :) Bierstadt (Rackhouse) is making the best craft lagers in the state (and maybe the country) not far from GZ.

Bierstadt (Rackhouse) is making the best craft lagers in the state (and maybe the country) not far from GZ.

Will have to check them out... not sure if you make it east much but Cerebral brewing also has some great beers.

We don't need all these stupid new beers. All they are is marketing hype. They don't do anything the beers we've had for 70 years won't do, but everyone acts like it's the best thing ever.

Oh crap, wrong thread...…..

We don't need all these stupid new beers. All they are is marketing hype. They don't do anything the beers we've had for 70 years won't do, but everyone acts like it's the best thing ever.

Oh crap, wrong thread...…..

I like my Double IPA. It's crazy accurate high alcohol by volume, and it throws big elk bullets fast and flat flavor that hits like a freight train. Practical? Nope. Not even close. Burns a ton of powder your taste buds out, and without a brake like mine, can be a handfull. mtmuley

sorry mtmuley... 2 callouts in 1 week I'm an a-hole...

Listen sir... IPAs can be fabulous, but many brewers have taken the McDonalds coffee approach and have attempted do destroy you taste buds to cover up their crappy beverage.

I can't argue with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back