Epirb/plb

Oak

Expert
Has anybody used, or considered using one of these? I thought about it a little more this year when I was hunting deer and elk by myself. Guess I'm not feeling as bulletproof as I did when I was younger. I think I actually get in more dangerous situations working in the summer than I do in the fall (more people in the field in the fall). Of course you go prepared to take care of yourself if you're injured, but I was in a few places this last summer that, if I was unable to respond to searchers, they would never find my bones.

It didn't help that when I got home from hunting a couple of weeks ago and saw the info my wife had scribbled down when I called her about where I was hunting, I saw she had written down a unit that is over 100 miles from where I was at!:eek: :rolleyes:

Never thought of using one. I tend to get myself in more trouble when I am scouting or doing the archery thing looking for that great honeyhole. I guess it just comes down to being smart about where I go, especially if I am alone, for the most part I am.

I don't have one, but have thought about getting one just to ease the wife's anxiety. However, I'm wondering if a sat phone wouldn't be a better set up because it could also be used to get help (ie packing out an elk) for non life threatening situations.

I had EPIRBs on my boat 28 years ago. It wasn't required then, but is now on all passenger carrying vessels operating in costal waters. It's a great thing to have if you need it and the batteries work. I'm not familiar with the ones that are available for land use, but I imagine that they are much like the off shore variety. Invaluable if you need them, otherwise, just another piece of gear to stow.

I have been considering a PLB since I first heard about them last year - mostly because of the remote places I take my kids by myself. I too have told my wife exactly where I am going only to call and quiz her later to find out it went in one ear and out the other. Lately I've been emailing her a map of where I will be so she won't loose it and she can give it to someone who can actually read it when I show up missing. The problem is I usually get out somewhere and the grass looks greener elsewhere or I just feel like exploring some new country. Especially if I'm out for a few days, I have no idea where I will end up.

Sat phones are too bulky and expensive. Check out this new gadget though.
explorespot_spot.jpg

http://www.findmespot.com

As much as I hate paying subscriptions to anything, I think I will be getting one of these. At $150 + $99/year it's cheaper and you can just "check in" with your location.

Sat phones are too bulky and expensive. Check out this new gadget though.

Like everything, they are dropping in the price and size monthly. I've thought about picking one up for safety but they are even cheaper to rent for the Hunting season. I haven't rented one besides my AK trip and backpacking in for Sheep.

That SPOT gadget looks pretty cool. It would be fun to Upload your location on Google earth for the Wife and kids to see were you are.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back