PEAX Equipment

EOY '19 - What Worked, What Didn't?

I got rid of my Havalons because the blades seemed to break on everything, Im not sure if it was a bad batch or me cutting what I was supposed too. I also, don't care to have to babysit blades in the field when changing them out. Just one less thing to have to worry about went back to my outdoor edge and buck.
I have been pretty impressed with my Havalon setup so far I have broken blades and sliced some hands open been a freakin moron and not paying attention. But all in all pretty happy with them, sometimes theyre too sharp.......... especially on cape jobs with a fresh blade:confused:

I have been pretty impressed with my Havalon setup so far I have broken blades and sliced some hands open been a freakin moron and not paying attention. But all in all pretty happy with them, sometimes theyre too sharp.......... especially on cape jobs with a fresh blade:confused:

Everyone has different reasons, I guess. Good for those who like them. I am not one of them.

Jeez the last one is brutal J....... I can only hope that one day this isnt the case. In my household

I'll be honest, it was kind of like taking Christmas away from a kid.

What worked:

My dog, selective breeding really works
Hammer bullets
Zamberlan Guide 960 boots, hammered as hell and still in good shape
Mystery Ranch Beartooth
Knives of Alaska warranty
Remington SS Mountain Rifle

What didn't work:

Knives of Alaska blade (see above)
Water allocation strategy
My daughter deciding she was too busy to hunt :(
Would you describe your forefoot as narrow, med, or wide? Always on the hunt for boot solutions...

Worked:
- Crispi boots, I know boots really are a custom fit, but both the Thor's for warm weather and Wild Rock for cold have been great for my feet.
- Hitch receiver mounts for a winch and wiring on the front and back
- ARB recovery kits
- Garmin InReach and SMS messaging
- Rainier
- Disc-O-Bed XL bunk cots
- Luck
- Any fried chicken recommendation from @Randy11

Didn't work:
- Driving and sleep deprivation
- Rental trucks that was suppose to be 4wd but was actually 2wd.

Worked:
-Bergara rifle and range time before season
-Sig Kilo rangefinder
-Toe sock liners
-Good ol fixed blade gerber knife and lightweight sharpner
-Swarovski binos on a tripod. Always amazed at what I can pick out with these things

Didn't Work:
-Havalon Knife. (broken blade)
-Not carrying my trekking poles on days I intended to pull the trigger...
-Making stupid decisions
-Being impatient
-Worn down truck tires
-Trying to keep the GF happy and hunt every weekend of the season (archery & rifle) in Montana

Worked:
-scouting new duck spot that turned out to be productive
-Drake Breathable Waders
- Higdon pulsator decoy
-Sitka long underwear
-Weston Vacuum Sealer
-a fishing related one: Ion Electric Ice Auger
-the old Silverado-got me from point A to point B the whole hunting season
-Havalon Baracuta Fillet Knife

Didn't work
-neoprene waders that ripped while hunting
-need to get a decent blind for the jon boat
-socks-will look into darn tough ones
-headlamps-lost/misplaced countless ones

Worked:
-Elk Hunting with my son for the first time after 5 years in the USMC.
-USMC's training. Can't get it out of him. He moves likes a shadow and glasses from deep cover.....always.
-saying yes to an invitation from a complete stranger to go sheep hunting. It worked out.
-South Dakota deer hunting. There is no other place I've hunted that has more deer. The place is a kick in the pants.
-All my gear. I have mostly older, quality proven gear. I feel no need to replace until it's worn out, lost, or stolen.
-My youngest son's diligent tracking on a well hit buck. Sometimes they don't bleed.

Didn't Work:
-My GMC's rear differential, waaaay back in there.
-My GMC's cooling system after 6 days in the shop and $2.7k in repairs.
-My new, old Ford after trying drive across a stream crossing that had ice damned. The truck is now baptized by immersion.
-My arrow placement on a big bull. The instant replay indicates a good hit....all 4,811 times it's replayed in my brain. 4 days of looking found no trace of him.
-My lack of confidence to set up the rifle and kill a giant typical muley at proven range, in ideal conditions. After the bow dumbassery, I lost my mind and tried to get closer. Dumbass.

What a great thread.

Worked

- Writing letters to landowners for access
I sent out 11 letters and got 7 responses and out of those I made arrangements with 3 but only ended up using 1.

- Goal Zero Collapsable Lantern
I picked it up before season and was real satisfied with how it worked out. I would let it charge in the sun all day and would leave it on all night on low setting. It would last all night.

- Cabelas Lodge Tent
First time using it and it held up to some intense Wyoming winds and a crazy thunder storm.

- Lone Wolf Tree Stand & Sticks
First year hunting mobile and it worked out great. Still had a stand I left in the woods but someone using it while I was not pushed me to pull it down and next day I shot my biggest buck to date.

- Mud Motor
I put a mud motor on my duck boat this year and boy it made it nice. Outboard worked but always had to get out and push into a few spots. Mud motor never had to get out once.

-RTIC Cooler
Threw a few frozen milk jugs in it and a week later it was still frozen. Worked perfect for getting my antelope meat back to Wisconsin in good shape.

Didn't Work

- Blind Heater
Actually blind heater works but I couldn't remember how to turn it on when I needed it. Next year I need to test all this stuff before I leave.

- Cheap ass sleeping bags.
Took 2 sleeping bags I had around the house and they didn't work at keeping me warm in temps down to 20 degrees.

- Glassing
Being a midwest guy I don't know jack about glassing but decided to glass some marsh islands during gun deer season and while I knew I needed to be more patient I couldn't get myself to stick with it.

- First Lite
I know I run cold but I was layered to the teeth and still cold. Contacted first lite and asked about it and the answer given was to buy more clothing.

Worked:
1. Stone Glacier Pack and Gear, I can't say enough good things about this company and team. I went in heavy a few times with their pack and didn't seem to make it heavier coming out but they have a very solid pack lineup. Especially for extended stays. Their De Havillon pant and jacket are awesome. I didn't take the jacket for the longer backpack trips but wore it plenty of days. The full zip down sides on the pants are game changers just like adding puffy pants to the lineup. I wore them july and August scouting and September through November hunting.

2. Garmin Inreach, can't say enough on having a real CHEAP piece of insurance in your pack. Plus it makes the Mrs. Happy.

3. Luxe 2p tipi with inner tent. I gotta say I am pretty pleased with this setup. Roomy yet lightweight and i don't have a stupid confining vestibule to deal with.

4. Probably the most important, I bought into the Mountain Tough preseason and postseason fitness programs. It has totally changed my outlook on getting in shape and strengthens your mental toughness. The guys are great to workout with too at the actual Bozeman location. I do this when I am working up in the area.

What didn't work:

1. Wouldn't say it didn't work but I don't know how well the helinox chair zero is in the tooths. Unless your sitting on a granite slab that little prick sinks into the ground. I do like the chair but not the sinking factor.

2. Finding a f#%"&n ram....... just gotta keep grinding. They're there.....a wise man once told me "stumble around enough".

3. Kenetrek mountain extremes and crampons....... not good. Those crampons eat them up.

Like Snowy said if it didn't work it never went. I have looked at my gear for over a year and thought about it enough to make myself sick.

Things i'll be investing it because it's time, rain gear, new bow sight, new mid weight boot.

All in all fun season, I was fortunate to hunt 15 days in the unlimiteds this year, was able to tag along with @MTGomer and another buddy on a sheep hunt for a day it was one of the funner glassing sessions I've had in a long time and actually holding the ram gomer took really recharged me. Made some new friends as well on the trail. I was able to get lucky and take a bull outta the same bunch as my wife's bull (naturally hers beat mine a little bit and now he gets a bedroom wall.....wtf haha) she got a great deer and black bear this season couldn't be happier for her and glad she's getting into it. The greatest part is kids were included in every adventure besides the sheep. For me that is the best part.

Who knows what 2020 will bring...... but I can't wait. I know it'll have a sheep tag in it though.

Get the ground sheet for the Helinox chair. It’s a game changer and works awesome.

Always works
Pack GOATS 🐐
Crispi’s
Nemo tent
Big buddy heater
Pack GOATS lol 😂
Seirra design sleeping bag
Thermarest sleeping pad-15 years old lol
BlackOvis game bags, have 10 deer bags 4+y/o, bought 5 more.
In-reach
Browning puffy jacket
Drake 1/4 zip pull-over
Frozen homemade meals
Athletic tape for heals

New stuff that worked
Inflatable pillow
Titanium long handle spoon
Making my own trail mix
My newest pack goat!, Danner
Catch and Release camo clothing
Wife and daughter going on first pack 🐐 goat trip!

Cons
My shooting this year w the rifle!
Doing heal surgery in June.....

Matt

Oh and coors light 😜

WORKED
Lowa Tibets - Got them 3 days before my elk hunt after trying 4 different brands of new boots. They worked great
Schnee's Pac boots when it got in the single digits and snow piled up
MR Marshall - This year was my first solo bc elk hunt and it handled all my gear
First Lite puffy pants - used them every day and every night
Mountain House Biscuits & Gravy
In Reach mini
Outdoorsman bino mount
Minus33 merino wool
Sea to Summit pillow

DIDN'T
I failed to ask the right ?s from forest service - arrived to find my top 3 areas were un-accessible using CO trails following 2018 fire, started the trip behind the curve and scrabbling to move areas after the first few days
MR Quick Release Rifle sling - worthless
15 deg sleeping bag when temps dropped way below the "forecast"
Jetboil Sumo - took up too much pack space but I already owned it for years, fine for truck camping

Back