EOY '19 - What Worked, What Didn't?

BackofBeyond

Well, it's that time of year again. I've got one hunt left that includes sleeping at my folks place, and finding a whitetail doe under an apple tree 40 yards from their deck, so it's time to look at what worked/what didn't.

Worked:
  • Conditioning - This was my big hitter from last year. Got serious about diet and exercise this year. I'm down ~35 pounds, and did a lot of walking with the baby strapped to me this summer. Also gave my neighbor a hand splitting his firewood. I'd forgotten how good of a work out that can be... been probably 25 years since I've spent summers with a splitting maul in my hands.
  • Stove - Upgraded to a MSR Pocketrocket this year, replacing a 20 year old whisperlite. That dropped another 1.5 pounds from my pack. Works great, no complaints from me. What do ya'll do with the 1/2 spent fuel cannisters? I've heard that you can combine them somehow? Also, on the same front, my hunting partner bought himself a Jetboil, then turned around and got me one for a birthday present... so I guess I double upgraded.
  • DaySix arrows and broadheads - straight laid the smackdown on both my deer and my elk this year. Full pass through on both, no significant damage to either broadhead after hitting rib, offside shoulder blade, dirt/branches/etc. Just cleaned up, checked the spin once I got home, and put them back in the quiver. I'll chalk that up to money well spent.
Didn't Work:
  • Trekking poles - the cheapo amazon special trekking poles I was using just didn't cut the mustard. Broke one packing out my cow after getting top heavy and loosing my balance getting over a log, and the other one lost the bolt that clamps down to extend it. Time to replace those, lesson learned again... $30 + made in china + me = failure when put to the test.
  • Pre-season scouting - I'll admit it, I got lucky with my deer, and was happy to walk away with a cow on the 2nd to last day of archery season. I didn't get into the woods once this summer to scout. My wife and I only had 2 weekends off together all summer long - meaning I had the baby pretty much every weekend. Hopefully 18 months old is "old enough."
  • Archery antelope - had my chances this year. Between blown stalks [impatience], and 1 blown chance sitting in a blind for a day [not sure that strategy is for me] I'll be looking for some redemption next year. We had a blast on the one weekend we went, had multiple chances, saw animals every day, just couldn't seal the deal. Hopefully I can learn my lessons and be more patient next year.
  • Sitka Mountain Pants - Pants are great, but I flat ROASTED in them during early archery season. Way to heavy for September. Quick ordered a pair of Traverse pants, which was a huge upgrade mid season... then turned around and made the mistake of wearing the traverse on the last weekend of the season when temps dropped into the 20's, and we got snow. Still got the job done, but it made for a very wet, very cold pack out.
How about you all? What worked, what didn't? Any upgrades, downgrades, changes you're going to make for next year?

• Sitka Mountain Pants - Pants are great, but I flat ROASTED in them during early archery season.
Sounds like a lot of great lessons learned. I have kicked around getting a pair of mountain pants if I can find any highly discounted over the next couple months. How was your experience with them besides being to hot for the early season? Good, Bad or indifferent.

This year for myself I tried to spend more time behind the glass. Glassing has never been something that i put much thought into. Just thought if I covered the country with my feet why the need to sit still. Anyways. I still have a lot of work to do, but I was able to Glass a buck the night before the season, and get my dad in on him a few days later. That was the first time I ever went in to an area knowing where the buck was or what he looked like.

Also I jumped on to the sitka train and have to say I loved it. I agree with those who mock us bandwagon folks, you dont need the pricey items to be successful. There are many individuals who wear cotton and will always be a better hunter than me. I however am doing my best to get better, and it did make the bad weather days way more enjoyable in my experience. I was able to stay more comfortable in the wind and blowing snow that seemed to accompany me for all my hunts this year.

Cons:
-Me, I physically or mentally failed on two of my three big hunts.
-MR Metcalf, despite all the hype it, in fact, does not make packouts any easier or more enjoyable, they still suck.
-Cheap scopes. It took all of three weeks for my nicest cheap scope to loose zero and it cost me a bull.
-Cheap nikon tripod, it's lightweight but worthless in almost all other regards.
-$7 wool slacks from Goodwill finally crapped out on me after a couple of years.
-WY swirlyass winds.

Pros:
-Going further. I doubled the distance into a wilderness area from years past and whaddaya know, there were bucks in there.
-Scouting, I actually found bucks prior to the high hunt for the first time, it just took more scouting time than I've ever put into it.
-Barnes TTSX, still killing stuff one shot at a time.
-Mini baseball bat bugle tube. Why pay $30 for a tube when you can make one for $5.
-Cabelas guide tent, holy cow does that thing handle a winter storm well, high winds, no biggy, cold temps, nothing a small propane heater can't fix. Easy to setup and take down. Large vestibule for all our stuff.

Last edited:
-Cabelas guide tent, holy cow does that thing handle a winter storm well, high winds, no biggy, cold temps, nothing a small propane heater can't fix. Easy to setup and take down. Large vestibule for all our stuff.

Mind posting which version you bought?

The only thing that I won't be using again is the Black Ovis Lightweight meat bags. Over the course of two seasons I've shredded 4 of them...like catastrophically exploded. I've used much cheaper semi-disposable bags that have done the same or better. Also a bear stole one so he is going to be really disappointed with it's durability.

Everything else worked as expected, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it along.

Everything else worked as expected, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it along.

This is wonderfully smug, I love it. You've obviously got your stuff dialed.

As far as what did and didn't work for me this year-

Didn't Work

-Filling tags. I have become remarkably proficient in spending time in the woods without killing anything. This fall I spent 52 days hunting, and was only in on two filled tags.

-The chipmunk that kept breaking in to my rig and eating all my TP, long johns and trail mix.

-My shooting iron. For the first time ever I lost zero on a rifle, and it cost me an animal.

Worked

-Getting in shape. I hiked probably 3x more this summer than I have been the last few years, and it paid off huge. Some of my long deer hikes in November felt like a breeze this year compared to the last few.

-Copper bullets. The more I see them in action, the more I'm a believer that they're the way to go.

- @Gerald Martin's wall tent when we were hit with a surprise September snow.

-Rainier beer.

-Zeiss Conquest binos. Using high end glass makes long glassing sessions so much more enjoyable.

-Good company. Off the top of my head, this season I either hunted with or shared camp with @MinnesotaHunter, @Gerald Martin, @theat, @Schaaf, @ewludwig, @Mthuntr, @jryoung, @Kaitum, @Missoulaz28, @Highlands Hunter, @Ben Lamb, @Sytes, @jquigley and @Elkoholic. A lot of high quality dudes in that list that make hunting a whole lot more enjoyable.

Worked:

Luck, blessings, call it what you will. I am more fortunate than I could ever expect to be.

Danner Crater Rim Boots: USA Made. Purchased in May and already have over 200 miles on them. Performed well.

Barnes TTSX – First year shooting copper, and the mule deer I shot with a 22-250 took one and that was all that was necessary.

$40 dollar Military Surplus wool pants. Hunted in frigid weather this rifle season. While my hunting partner was fretting over having ripped his $200 Sitka pants after crossing a barbed wire fence, I was putting these on for the 5th day in a row in near indestructible warmth.

Didn’t work:

My ability to call elk. I practiced a lot and still suck.

3.5" Outdoor Edge Razor Pro - I switched from my havalon because I kept breaking blades and I like the way the Pro holds the blade so it doesn't break. That worked, but the blades dull so fast it's silly.

Lack of a fire season limited my ability to accrue comp time.

Filling my tags early: This almost never happens to me and is a first world problem, but my tags were filled before Halloween. Mountains I daydreamed about hiking with a rifle in hand all year went unvisited. The hunt’s over once the critter is home, and my mind is already drifting to timber I didn't perform my annual visit to for the first time in a couple decades.

Didn't work

Stone Glacier Avail 2200-Nothing wrong with the pack other than I choose the size poorly even for day hunts. Something bigger to bring meat out the first time sames trips later on.

My age--pushing 60 sucks

Sitka Timberline pants-Despite what you think they are not Havalon proof in the thigh area.

No first aid kit--see above

Worked

Most everything else, after this many years of chasing elk a guy gets things dialed in. Small tweaks every year.

Last edited:
Yep:
- E-scouting. Never really tried this before, but working out of state and extra abundant rain every time I planned a trip made it my only option. Boots on the ground opening weekend, we found elk at most of the spots I had marked. Worked better than I expected.
-First Lite women’s gear. Added the soft shell pants and puffy coat this year. Fit very well, warm, not bulky, not binding. Perfect.
-Weighted workouts. 40 lb pack on the elliptical every other day made the pack out less painful. Will keep that in the rotation I think.
-Bergara rifles. I liked my Ruger. I love these.

Nope:
-Socks. Why is it so hard to find decent socks?
-Replaceable blade knives. I keep trying, but I just prefer something a little more substantial.

Worked:
1. Stone Glacier Pack and Gear, I can't say enough good things about this company and team. I went in heavy a few times with their pack and didn't seem to make it heavier coming out but they have a very solid pack lineup. Especially for extended stays. Their De Havillon pant and jacket are awesome. I didn't take the jacket for the longer backpack trips but wore it plenty of days. The full zip down sides on the pants are game changers just like adding puffy pants to the lineup. I wore them july and August scouting and September through November hunting.

2. Garmin Inreach, can't say enough on having a real CHEAP piece of insurance in your pack. Plus it makes the Mrs. Happy.

3. Luxe 2p tipi with inner tent. I gotta say I am pretty pleased with this setup. Roomy yet lightweight and i don't have a stupid confining vestibule to deal with.

4. Probably the most important, I bought into the Mountain Tough preseason and postseason fitness programs. It has totally changed my outlook on getting in shape and strengthens your mental toughness. The guys are great to workout with too at the actual Bozeman location. I do this when I am working up in the area.

What didn't work:

1. Wouldn't say it didn't work but I don't know how well the helinox chair zero is in the tooths. Unless your sitting on a granite slab that little prick sinks into the ground. I do like the chair but not the sinking factor.

2. Finding a f#%"&n ram....... just gotta keep grinding. They're there.....a wise man once told me "stumble around enough".

3. Kenetrek mountain extremes and crampons....... not good. Those crampons eat them up.

Like Snowy said if it didn't work it never went. I have looked at my gear for over a year and thought about it enough to make myself sick.

Things i'll be investing it because it's time, rain gear, new bow sight, new mid weight boot.

All in all fun season, I was fortunate to hunt 15 days in the unlimiteds this year, was able to tag along with @MTGomer and another buddy on a sheep hunt for a day it was one of the funner glassing sessions I've had in a long time and actually holding the ram gomer took really recharged me. Made some new friends as well on the trail. I was able to get lucky and take a bull outta the same bunch as my wife's bull (naturally hers beat mine a little bit and now he gets a bedroom wall.....wtf haha) she got a great deer and black bear this season couldn't be happier for her and glad she's getting into it. The greatest part is kids were included in every adventure besides the sheep. For me that is the best part.

Who knows what 2020 will bring...... but I can't wait. I know it'll have a sheep tag in it though.

Last edited:
Didn't work:
Prepping a house to sell over the summer, first sale fell through, but not until I cancelled my first hunt because we would be closing at the same time. Second sale succeeded and now in new house, but whole process went through other hopeful hunting seasons. Pairing that with a business that is taking off and going to school full time...... No hunting this year. Taking next fall off of school and planning several hunts to make up for it, since momma has her dream house!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back