EOY '19 - What Worked, What Didn't?

- First Lite
I know I run cold but I was layered to the teeth and still cold. Contacted first lite and asked about it and the answer given was to buy more clothing.
Did you system include puffy coat and puffy pants? And how cold was the weather you were in? And were you moving or tree stand hunting?

What worked
I think for the first time after both out of state hunts this year, there was nothing that I wanted to change or tweak.
First Lite baselayers/Sitka outerwear
My 7mm and 7mm-08, both did their jobs quite well
Cabela's outback lodge. I am continually surprised at how well this inexpensive tent holds up. With extra guy lines on the corners, it withstood 50+mph wind
Kenetrek boots
MR Metcalf

What didn't
My patience while hunting antelope. I had a fun hunt and took a nice buck on day 2 that I am very happy with. On day 3 I glassed up 2 bucks that were significantly bigger than the one I shot the day before, in the same area.
My ability to find elk. If there is a title or competition for America's worst elk hunter, I will throw my hat in the ring.

What worked
I think for the first time after both out of state hunts this year, there was nothing that I wanted to change or tweak.
First Lite baselayers/Sitka outerwear
My 7mm and 7mm-08, both did their jobs quite well
Cabela's outback lodge. I am continually surprised at how well this inexpensive tent holds up. With extra guy lines on the corners, it withstood 50+mph wind
Kenetrek boots
MR Metcalf

What didn't
My patience while hunting antelope. I had a fun hunt and took a nice buck on day 2 that I am very happy with. On day 3 I glassed up 2 bucks that were significantly bigger than the one I shot the day before, in the same area.
My ability to find elk. If there is a title or competition for America's worst elk hunter, I will throw my hat in the ring.
Do you have the older or newer version of the out back lodge. I have the older. But am looking at the newer on cause of the front door canopy.

Do you have the older or newer version of the out back lodge. I have the older. But am looking at the newer on cause of the front door canopy.

I have the new version. I had the older version for about 10 years before the zipper broke. It actually cost more to replace the zipper than to buy a new tent so that is what I ended up doing. I do like the front canopy and the vertical zipper, both are changes for the better.

Last edited:
I picked up a lot of new gear over the last year and made some changes to my setup for the first time in awhile.

Winners:
Having good buddies and family to hunt with. Took my pops hunting for the first time in 20 years and had a lot of fun getting him on deer. The old SOB passed up quite a few bucks. My hunting partner took care of me when I got the flu in camp. Wiped me out most of a deer hunt and took some of his hunting time to make sure I survived. Lotta extra work for him - very appreciated.

Good attitude - Never had so much fun shooting so little. Got a first time antelope hunter on the board. Got to hunt with my dad and my brother for the first time in at least 20 years. Got to hunt with some other friends I haven't seen in 8-9 years. Laughed a lot this year.

FL Baselayer tops - rolled with the lightweight and the midweight merino. Wore the sh*t out of them and they still didn't stink
FL puffy layers - those pants were warm AF! jacket was good too

Lowa Tibets - went to a wide size and proper lacing to lock the heels down. Winner winner chicken dinner - especially with heavy pack outs

Sitka windstopper gear - So nice when the wind blew late in the season. It arrived late in the year so I'll find some more places to mix it in next season.

The work sharp field sharpener - used the sh*t out of it this year -took a nice nick out of my Benchmade that I dropped on concrete.

Seek Outside - First, the Peregrine is a bad ass pack and really shines when you load it full of dead animals. Great pack for anyone that hunts spot and stalk. Second, the customer service is awesome. I dropped in their shop and they got my pack fit dialed in. Game changer having the right pack.

Losers:
Bad luck - getting the flu in a little tent sucks.
Weather - can't remember a string of hunts with so much wind, blowing snow, mud, and fog. Can't control it so move on.
If I'm nitpicking it's the FL lightweight capri bottoms. I found them up over my knees a lot and was constantly messing with them. I'll go back to regular length base layer bottoms. I pee standing up so capri's not for me.
A lot of tag soup - I spent a lot of time helping my buddies fill their tags but I ate waaaay too many tags this year.
The Airlines - Flight delays and uncomfortable seats.

I didn’t have a lot of tags this year but did get out quite a bit locally. Didn’t pickup to much new gear but did get to use some items I hadn’t used in a while
What worked-
Kuiu Pro Suspension- Upgraded to the Pro suspension and it’s hands down a huge improvement over the Icon Pro. For me the adjustable lumbar pad and the slimmer front portion of the hip belt made huge improvements in fit and feel with a load especially.

Peak Refuel Meals- Large portions, takes less water than MH, real ingredients, taste is pretty good. I usually add crushed red peppers or hot sauce to most meals though.

Luci Light- Provided great light and held a charge well. I like the option of 3 different brightness settings also.

Gunslinger Rifle Corral- Been using this for a few seasons and use it on my hip belt. Works awesome and is easy to remove the rifle quickly.

Crispi Thor boots- Awesome lightweight boot with great traction and super comfy.

What didn’t work-

Salomon Quest 4D boots- The boots are light and super comfy but rubbed my pinky toe very bad. Tried 2 different sizes and multiple different socks.

Worked:
-Staying in the woods
-Changing hunting locations regularly
-Follow the rut across the state
-Hunted later in the season on out of state hunts
-Lone Wolf Assault Hand climber (Should have gotten one years ago
-Kennetrek mountain extremes (Great boots)
-Swarovski optics (should never have bought cheap binoculars)
-Underarmor pants

On the fence:
-Nosler 168 grain ballistic tips (Mixed results on solid impacts on whitetails
-Nose jammer spray (Mixed results)

Didn't work:
-New deer lease (Wont be leasing this again)
-Trusted another hunters word (Sad to say but I wont make this mistake on public land again..)

Did you system include puffy coat and puffy pants? And how cold was the weather you were in? And were you moving or tree stand hunting?

Wick long sleeve
Furnace top/bottom
Katalyst hoody
Puffy coat
Woodbury jacket
Corrugated guide pants

41 degrees in a tree stand.

gonna buy the solitude pants and if that don’t solve the problem I’m gonna have to switch to another brand

I'd go with sanctuary instead of the solitude. Same with the coat (which you can pick up used online pretty easily).

Though I'll say, I don't think there's hardly any clothes out there (other than true expedition gear) that would keep me warm in a tree stand, but I know that's me not a failure of other gear.

I'd go with sanctuary instead of the solitude. Same with the coat (which you can pick up used online pretty easily).

Though I'll say, I don't think there's hardly any clothes out there (other than true expedition gear) that would keep me warm in a tree stand, but I know that's me not a failure of other gear.

I have an old Blaze Orange Gander Mountain suite that keeps me warm in less layers during gun season which is usually in the 20’s. Pretty disappointed that my $100 suite from 10 years ago out performs my First Lite gear that costs at least 6x as much.

Worked:
Turkey E-scouting for Fall birds. My first turkey this year stood exactly where I hoped it would at the time I had hoped it would get there. It was so "according to plan" that it was almost spooky.
Saddle hunting. Man what a difference for concealment when you draw your bow.
Spot and stalk Jackrabbit hunting. Mule deer in miniature.
Hoyt Powermax. I am so glad I let the sales guy at my pro-shop up-sell me to this bow.

Did not work:
Grouse hunting in a Mini Cooper. Yep, I am that dumb.
Any hunt with my wife. That women put in a ton of effort and had terrible luck.
Cheap Clamp on climbing ladder from Amazon. This thing had a few sections where the steps were 4' apart, I would love to see the guy who thought that was possible.
Finding Bears. I'll keep trying.

I have the new version. I had the older version for about 10 years before the zipper broke. It actually cost more to replace the zipper than to buy a new tent so that is what I ended up doing. I do like the front canopy and the vertical zipper, both are changes for the better.

Does the tent door zip completely along the bottom?

I have an old Blaze Orange Gander Mountain suite that keeps me warm in less layers during gun season which is usually in the 20’s. Pretty disappointed that my $100 suite from 10 years ago out performs my First Lite gear that costs at least 6x as much.
Despite what they claim, it's meant for hiking. For which it does very well.

Wick long sleeve
Furnace top/bottom
Katalyst hoody
Puffy coat
Woodbury jacket
Corrugated guide pants

41 degrees in a tree stand.

gonna buy the solitude pants and if that don’t solve the problem I’m gonna have to switch to another brand

You can mix and match brands as well. Works to fill gaps sometimes.

Worked:
Kudu point broadheads-ran one through a bull that was quartering away harder than I realized. Bull made it 100 yards downhill.

SOG knife-this thing is incredible. Holds an edge really well, and is durable. I ran a Havalon through my thigh and decided it was time to move on!

SG 6900 backpack-great bag and durable as hell!

Summer scouting-I always do a lot of scouting, but this year I went into a new area for elk and the wife and I both shot solid bulls in 4 days.

Hunting with friends: Got to spend more time with friends this year during rifle season and had a blast.

Didn’t work:

Wolf hunting-at least not yet! Been close, seen some, haven’t had a shot yet. I’ve lost count of how many days I have out this year so far, but with 16 days off to hunt over the next 3 weeks I’m hopeful!

Work: Shot my bull too early in bow season so I ended up working waaay too much after that.

LEICA Spotting scope-eyepiece wont stay locked into place and falls off. Pain in the ass.

Rattlesnakes- that new spot I found for archery elk is loaded with them! Had one striking at me in the dark one night....he’s now deceased. In 4 days of hunting we ran into 13 snakes.

Worked:
Kudu point broadheads-ran one through a bull that was quartering away harder than I realized. Bull made it 100 yards downhill.

SOG knife-this thing is incredible. Holds an edge really well, and is durable. I ran a Havalon through my thigh and decided it was time to move on!

SG 6900 backpack-great bag and durable as hell!

Summer scouting-I always do a lot of scouting, but this year I went into a new area for elk and the wife and I both shot solid bulls in 4 days.

Hunting with friends: Got to spend more time with friends this year during rifle season and had a blast.

Didn’t work:

Wolf hunting-at least not yet! Been close, seen some, haven’t had a shot yet. I’ve lost count of how many days I have out this year so far, but with 16 days off to hunt over the next 3 weeks I’m hopeful!

Work: Shot my bull too early in bow season so I ended up working waaay too much after that.

LEICA Spotting scope-eyepiece wont stay locked into place and falls off. Pain in the ass.

Rattlesnakes- that new spot I found for archery elk is loaded with them! Had one striking at me in the dark one night....he’s now deceased. In 4 days of hunting we ran into 13 snakes.

first time I’ve ever wanted to know someone’s location so I could avoid it like the plague!! Lol

Man that sounds like a ton of fun! Probably a good way to kill some time here in the Oregon high desert through the winter when other seasons are closed. Were you using a .22?

Shotgun after a failed turkey hunt. But I plan to do it again with a 22lr, or a Judo Point. Jackrabbit is great eating when handled well, just ignore the advice that "rabbit is suitable for chicken applications". Treat Jackrabbit like it's a mule deer shank and you will be VERY pleased with the results. I'm in Southern Oregon myself. I have yet to find a really awesome jack spot, but I'd guess your area would be great for it.

Back