Environmental NGOs And Russian Oil $

MTGomer

For those more knowledgeable than I, is there any basis to the claims that Russia via Klein LTD, donated millions to the organization Sea Change Foundation, which then donates heavily to American environmental NGOs such as the League of Conservation Voter, the NRDC, the Sierra Club, and others?
The purpose of this, of course, would be that Russia is heavily reliant on oil to power their economy. American energy dominance, which leads to low oil prices is bad for the Russian federation.

Influence Watch focuses on investigating the finding sources of left leaning pegs, so clearly they’re biased. That doesn’t mean they aren’t factual, but I don’t know.

Is this more ‘Green Decoy’ propaganda or is there something here. Interested in hearing from people that know more about this stuff.

Picture is a sampling of some of the Sea Change recipients.

4424C5A9-62E1-4B45-9A92-3829AB19261A.png

For those more knowledgeable than I, is there any basis to the claims that Russia via Klein LTD, donated millions to the organization Sea Change Foundation, which then donates heavily to American environmental NGOs such as the League of Conservation Voter, the NRDC, the Sierra Club, and others?
The purpose of this, of course, would be that Russia is heavily reliant on oil to power their economy. American energy dominance, which leads to low oil prices is bad for the Russian federation.

Influence Watch focuses on investigating the finding sources of left leaning pegs, so clearly they’re biased. That doesn’t mean they aren’t factual, but I don’t know.

Is this more ‘Green Decoy’ propaganda or is there something here. Interested in hearing from people that know more about this stuff.

Picture is a sampling of some of the Sea Change recipients.

View attachment 215030
Iddk (definitely thrown in there), but why would Russia, with all its oil and gas want to fund US green energy? I mean I could see them wanting to fund some left leaning stuff as part of there discontent campaign but green energy seems counter productive to its interests

Iddk (definitely thrown in there), but why would Russia, with all its oil and gas want to fund US green energy? I mean I could see them wanting to fund some left leaning stuff as part of there discontent campaign but green energy seems counter productive to its interests
I don’t think the idea being thrown around here is that Russia is necessarily promoting green energy, it is that Russia is trying to discourage American fossil fuel energy. Fossil fuels are a global commodity, and it is in Russia’s best interest for the United States to produce less of it/import more of it, Russia to have more market share, and prices to be higher.
American shale and $25 oil is bad for a country as reliant on oil exports as Russia is.

Same idea as the so-called documentary “Gasland” being financed by Middle Eastern oil interests.

Last edited:
I don’t think the idea being thrown around here is that Russia is necessarily promoting green energy, it is that Russia is trying to discourage American fossil fuel energy. Fossil fuels are a global commodity, and it is in Russia’s best interest for the United States to produce less of it/import more of it, Russia to have more market share, and prices to be higher.
American shale and $25 oil is bad for a country as reliant on oil exports as Russia is.

Same idea as the so-called documentary “Gasland” being financed by Middle Eastern oil interests.
Gotcha

I can't help but think there's still some benefit for us in them doing that. The US seems to have achieved its greatness at least partially by being on the leading edge of technology, then exporting that to other countries (though i think we'd all like to see more of it). Renewable energy is the future, and if we're the leader of that technology, it's a good position to be in.

Of course, short-term it gives, or may give, other energy exporters the advantage.

I can't help but think there's still some benefit for us in them doing that. The US seems to have achieved its greatness at least partially by being on the leading edge of technology, then exporting that to other countries (though i think we'd all like to see more of it). Renewable energy is the future, and if we're the leader of that technology, it's a good position to be in.

Of course, short-term it gives, or may give, other energy exporters the advantage.
Sadly, we are letting China lead here too.

I didnt really think there was a debate to be had about whether or not Russia benefits from the misfortunes of American energy.
I’ve gotten a lot more calls for my business lately, after 66% of my competitors in a single town decided to retire within one month of each other.

The question was whether or not there’s any truth to the claim that Russia is actually contributing to the funding of our domestic organizations that fight against American non renewable energy production. (Much the same way the the government of the OPEC nation, The United Arab Emirates quite transparently financially supported Josh Fox’s Gasland film from 10-ish years ago).

I think both statements are true;

It would be to Russia’s advantage to do this. (that doesn’t mean they did)

It would be advantageous to the USA oil and gas lobby to make this up, to be able to discredit any criticism of them.

I didnt really think there was a debate to be had about whether or not Russia benefits from the misfortunes of American energy.
I’ve gotten a lot more calls for my business lately, after 66% of my competitors in a single town decided to retire within one month of each other.

The question was whether or not there’s any truth to the claim that Russia is actually contributing to the funding of our domestic organizations that fight against American non renewable energy production. (Much the same way the the government of the OPEC nation, The United Arab Emirates quite transparently financially supported Josh Fox’s Gasland film from 10-ish years ago).

I think both statements are true;

It would be to Russia’s advantage to do this. (that doesn’t mean they did)

It would be advantageous to the USA oil and gas lobby to make this up, to be able to discredit any criticism of them.

I agree that it would be advantageous of Russia to get funding into the hands of the "keep it in the ground" club, and they may have actually done that through a series of donations to second and third party bundlers who then donate the bundled money to another foundation, like Sea Change.

Influence Watch is a right wing funded effort that is about spreading disinformation and half-truths. Same with the Institute for Policy Innovation. Just more DC sleaze merchants looking to muddy the waters on issues for clients who don't want any scrutiny on themselves.

Here's an article from a few years ago about Sea Change: https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/...k-the-curtain-on-their-past-and-future-giving

Ultimately, there's no evidence they took Russian money, and there's no evidence they didn't. But we'd be idiots to think that the Russians aren't trying to purchase influence and keep the disruption game going.

Plausible, the Russian government has demonstrated a desire to sow discord in American politics

True.

Personally while there might be something to both I know a lot of folks that are honest and have good intentions on both sides of this debate and I think if anything these kinds of stories make a reasoned conversation difficult and that in itself is the point.

Climate change is a huge threat to the US, we need to take it seriously. I sincerely think we need to reduce our fossil fuel usage, and implement other solutions, namely nuclear.
At the same time I think we have an abundance of natural gas and if we utilized that fuel we could rapidly reduce emissions.

... Russia is using trolls as a weapon, that's my feeling.

Last edited:
@MTGomer

*derailing... apologies

Interesting discussion by EQT CEO about Natural Gas and LNG to meet climate and security goals. It's interesting that this is what "the industry" is talking about now.

Personal note, I've met Toby, wasn't a huge fan TBH, but I think he is 100% being sincere about this policy and don't think it's just about boosting his companies stock price.

Well, this sure exploded on the news scene in the last few days, complete with letters to Yellen (who, as usual, will do nothing). And now we find out half the neon used to make semiconductors comes from Ukraine. Then China takes Taiwan, and oops. Long game indeed.

And obviously we need new sources of energy, but we need to follow the lead of Elon Musk, who thinks it is folly to try to go all-electric immediately. He's probably almost as smart as some of our experts in virology and Russian history. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back